Need to find a "Beater" or Dave Ramsey Special

Author Topic: Need to find a "Beater" or Dave Ramsey Special  (Read 6415 times)

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
Need to find a "Beater" or Dave Ramsey Special
« on: November 03, 2008 - 06:50:53 PM »
Well, my Ram Charger's tranny went out last week and I find myself without any personal transportation.  I am trying to decide if I shoul dbother fixing the Ram Charger or find another beater.  My RC has well over 100K miles, probably even over 200k.  The odometer hasn't worked in years so who knows what's really on the clock.  I can pick up a rebuilt trnas for $800.00 plus the cost of a torque converter and then have to install it myself. 

Question is, are there still $500 cars out there that can get me to & from work reliably?  I don't have much cash (or any for that matter) and I REFUSE to go into debt to buy another car/truck.  Any recommendations?  One caveat - i am 6'4" tall with rather long legs.  I do not fit comfortably in many small cars.

Advise anyone?
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
Re: Need to find a "Beater" or Dave Ramsey Special
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008 - 06:53:40 PM »
All the $500 cars seem to go to Mexico now days( :2cents:) and with your size I would fix the Ramcharger...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008 - 07:40:27 PM by thedodgeboys »
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008 - 06:58:11 PM »
Yeah,  that's what my wife does not understand.  She's pushing for me to get a car butI am not comfortable in a lot of cars.  Trucks are WAY better for me.  The only thing is if a put $800 into the Ramcharger, where do you stop throwing good money into a beat up old truck?

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008 - 07:00:51 PM »
I have noticed that minivans can be had really cheap lately, and I am taller and fatter than you are and find that they fit pretty well.  Certainly not glamorous, but they work well and get respectable mileage too.
** Shane **

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008 - 07:02:33 PM »
What kind of trans is in it?

Tom

Junk Yard possibility?
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008 - 07:17:46 PM »
I'd stay away from the junkyard, just because you don't know what you're getting.  It's not like you're looking for a rebuildable core.

What else does the truck need?  If all it needs is the trans, then the $800 is worth it.  It's almost always cheaper to fix an old car than to buy something new.  But if the engine is getting tired or the the suspension needs to be rebuilt, then maybe you should think about investing in something new.

And forget the $500 car.  To get anything halfway decent, plan on at least $2000.  That's what I spent on my Honda and it may be the best automotive purchase I've ever made. 
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008 - 07:21:35 PM »
Most JY will guarantee the operation for 30 days.  I bought a 440 a few years ago for 350 bucks and put new gaskets in it and beat the snot out of it for 2+years.

Tom

Maybe craigslist or something.
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline CHUCKS71

• "IF YOUR NOT FIRST YOUR LAST"
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008 - 07:33:25 PM »
Sometimes you can get lucky finding a cheap  beater. I bought this Jeep for my winter work car for $1000.00
:burnout::22yikes::burnout:    www.ronpaul2008.com
71 Challenger 4spd   www.conservativepunk.com
03 Ram diesel 6spd    http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/chucknutz/1971%20Challenger/

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008 - 07:42:05 PM »
Sometimes you can get lucky finding a cheap  beater. I bought this Jeep for my winter work car for $1000.00

Talk about steals!   :ylsuper:

Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008 - 07:43:34 PM »

Thats a great deal!
I would love to find a jeep in that good for $1000.00.
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline lumpy

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008 - 07:55:40 PM »
Try your local Charity Auction, or some of the smaller used car dealers in your area. They are probably hurting for sales, so you might be able to find something cheap. I just picked up an '83 Mercedes 300cd Turbo Diesel off CL for $750, runs great and gets 30mpg. I could probably find you something, but it would be in Tucson.

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008 - 08:40:23 AM »
I'd stay away from the junkyard, just because you don't know what you're getting.  It's not like you're looking for a rebuildable core.

What else does the truck need?  If all it needs is the trans, then the $800 is worth it.  It's almost always cheaper to fix an old car than to buy something new.  But if the engine is getting tired or the the suspension needs to be rebuilt, then maybe you should think about investing in something new.

That's just it.  The truck's suspension is really tired, doors don't close well, windshield is cracked, a/c died in late September, engine "Drips Oil, Drops Grease Everywhere," and I think I am hearing slight knock in the bottom end.  I know if I spend $800 on it now, I'll be spending a lot more on it over hte next year.

As far as JY trans goes, I hit 4 yards on Saturday.  Only found 2 trucks/vans that would have had the right trans (A518 46RH) and, guess what, someone beat me to them.   :villagers:

I guess given  the problems I listed above, I've answered my own question.  It really isn't worth it to do anything to the RC now.  I guess I'll just beach it at my shop for now.  I'll also be listing my 72 Satellite for sale as is to help get $$ for my beater  :crying:   I guess my beater budget will be limited to whatever I can get for it.

CHUCKS71  - That's one killer deal you got there.  How'd you find it? 

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008 - 08:43:44 AM »
What kind of trans is in it?

Tom

Junk Yard possibility?

:nono:  :nono:  :nono:

Are there no reputable parts dealers in your area??  :dunno:

I do understand your comfort level tho... I've been driving SUV type tucks for years... It literally hurts to get into the wife's Prizm...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008 - 08:46:02 AM by BIGSHCLUNK »
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008 - 08:53:02 AM »
Reputable rebuilders want at least 695.00 for the trans plus torque converter.  Other shops want at least a grand for both if I cash & carry.

I hear ya about the Prizm too.  My wife's car is a Mazda MPV and no matter what I do I am not comfortable in it.  My knees almost hit the dash and the seat is too small.  Luckily, I am not overweight at all at 195#'s but still, I'm just not a small or even average sized person.  I guess that's another reason I love old Mopars, I've always been able to fit in them comfortably.

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008 - 11:57:46 AM »
This is what I'd be looking at:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=ranger&minAsk=100&maxAsk=1500&hasPic=1

Look at extended cabs - you'll never fit into a standard cab.  Like you, I'm cramped in a lot of vehicles, especially standard cab pickups and four door cars.  I bought one new in 1993 with the 4.0L and 5 speed and wished I'd never sold it.  I'm not quite as tall as you - 6'1" - but quite a bit heavier and I fit into mine with no problem.  Plus, even with the V6, they have decent power and still get good gas mileage.  If I were restricted to one vehicle again, I'd get another one. 
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS