Author Topic: TC's Hemi Resto  (Read 15307 times)

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
Re: Prior rebuild that was done to my Hemi
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2009 - 11:58:07 PM »
All that stuff looks sweet TC :drool: them Diamond pistons look cool too :bigsmile:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2009 - 12:34:51 AM »
TC you are well on your way bro!!! 

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2009 - 10:00:03 PM »
Dropped off the head today to get repaired. It was about a 2 hour drive out to Turlock which is in the central Big Valley. Going thru Modesto at rush hour reminds me of driving on L.A. freeways.

As soon as I put it on the bench to show the crack, we couldn't find it. Probably need a black light and/or heat the area up a little to get it to show up. The guy who wrote me up said they do huge engines. He told me that one of their workers was in Chili right now doing repairs on a Freighter block. And another worker was going to Idaho on Monday to repair a Locomotive steam engine block. There was a numbers Hemi block there for a repair and the whole side was blown out.

On the way home; saw a ton of cops. All driving back from the funeral today.

http://www.locknstitch.com/

Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2009 - 09:29:13 PM »
Head crack diagnosis: It's a scratch not a crack.
Well that's good news to me at least.
Machine shop wants a second opinion. But I don't think it has one.

While I was there, I saw this 69 Hemi block I mentioned about.
They're going to try and salvage it.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2009 - 11:44:14 PM »
 :22yikes:

Offline Stacked440

« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2009 - 11:57:59 PM »
I bet he had a problem with keeping coolant in the motor...little epoxy, be like brand new :thumbsup: :rofl:
-Kyle-
1971 Challenger R/T clone 440/5-spd
1973 Duster - 5.7L Hemi swap project

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2009 - 01:47:29 AM »
just add a bottle of Irontite or Bars leak  :smilielol:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2009 - 02:02:25 AM »
just add a bottle of Irontite or Bars leak  :smilielol:

yeah they say that Bars stop leak is no joke!!!  I think it might be able to do the trick.   :misbehaving:

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2009 - 10:41:40 PM »
Took the head back to Dave the machinist at lunch today. Told em that they searched all over and didn't see any crack. Dave threw it on his head check and whallaa... the invisible crack reappears. I've been driving all over the place to get this fixed.

Forget this place. I'm driving North 3 hours this Friday to someone else to repair it.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2014 - 09:25:12 PM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2009 - 08:04:21 AM »
In that picture it looks pretty obvious.  How did those other guys miss it?  Also, what tool did Dave use to find it, again?  I haven't heard of a head-check machine.  Good choice to take it elsewhere, though.  COuld be a blessing in disguise.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2009 - 09:26:24 AM »
In that picture it looks pretty obvious.  How did those other guys miss it?  Also, what tool did Dave use to find it, again?  I haven't heard of a head-check machine.  Good choice to take it elsewhere, though.  COuld be a blessing in disguise.

Just the typical magnaflux dust. First guys used hand dowel magnets. Dave used an electric one. Shouldn't have made any difference either way.

Maybe their magnaflux dust passed it's expiration date.  :lol:
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2009 - 10:00:08 AM »
Okay.  I can see the dust in the picture now.  Pretty bad that they missed it.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2009 - 01:51:21 AM »
What place are you taking it to that is 3 hours away? I'm really surprised that you can't find anyone local to you to fix the crack. It isn't that complicated of an operation to do. Let me call a buddy of mine tomorrow and ask if he knows someone in the bay area that can do it for you.
One place I dealt with when I was still wrenching in Campbell that was good is Gromm Racing Heads (San Jose). I would call and ask them if they do this type of repair or who they would recommend.

http://www.streetperformance.com/parts/gromm-racing-heads-and-engine.html

P.S. what hole does the crack travel across? is it a pushrod hole or? And - forgive me for my ignorance in advance - between whatever it will cost to get the crack repaired (I'm thinking generous 6-10 hours labor for the crack - drill-stitch-stop drill if needed-machine for seat insert-set installed height-surface-ceramic seal-pressure test), plus rebuilding and your travel time, wouldn't it be cheaper to get another head casting? I know you are going numbers matching but I thought I would throw that out there.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009 - 02:18:01 AM by ntstlgl1970 »
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2009 - 09:20:11 AM »
What place are you taking it to that is 3 hours away? I'm really surprised that you can't find anyone local to you to fix the crack. It isn't that complicated of an operation to do. Let me call a buddy of mine tomorrow and ask if he knows someone in the bay area that can do it for you.
One place I dealt with when I was still wrenching in Campbell that was good is Gromm Racing Heads (San Jose). I would call and ask them if they do this type of repair or who they would recommend.

http://www.streetperformance.com/parts/gromm-racing-heads-and-engine.html

P.S. what hole does the crack travel across? is it a pushrod hole or? And - forgive me for my ignorance in advance - between whatever it will cost to get the crack repaired (I'm thinking generous 6-10 hours labor for the crack - drill-stitch-stop drill if needed-machine for seat insert-set installed height-surface-ceramic seal-pressure test), plus rebuilding and your travel time, wouldn't it be cheaper to get another head casting? I know you are going numbers matching but I thought I would throw that out there.

Originally I was wanting the crack cold stitched using the lock and stitch method. After they failed to re find it, I spoke with Dave at Mopar Engines West. He said that experts in the field of hot head repair are few and far between doing it the old school method of welding. That I would be better off finding one of the best at that type of head repair method. Later in the day, I called back there and Angie who works there returned from an errand. Angie went to Mondello racing and is head and shoulders above in head technology. She really knows her stuff. I spoke to her and she said Rick is who I should see. He's an old timer, semi retired who has been doing head repairs and welding cracks for many years. I spoke with Rick from A and C repair. Rick is meeting me up in Pinole on Friday afternoon. So now my travel may only be an hour and a half. My head casting dates are 8/69 and 12/69. I really doubt I can find another falling within those time lines in good condition. http://www.accastingrebuilders.com/
Fushion welding is supposed to be a very good way to repair cracks.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2009 - 10:10:08 AM »
Head crack diagnosis: It's a scratch not a crack.
Well that's good news to me at least.
Machine shop wants a second opinion. But I don't think it has one.

While I was there, I saw this 69 Hemi block I mentioned about.
They're going to try and salvage it.

Give Macguyver a call.  Give him a roll of duct tape, some paperclips, and whatever change you got in your pocket, and he'll have it good as new in about 10 minutes.