Author Topic: You know what I hate?  (Read 5001 times)

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
Re: You know what I hate?
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2008 - 09:16:48 PM »
 :iagree: I think we are all adults here. And the mods do a great job. I think we are adult enough to discuss life in general other than just cars. We've just got to be adult enough to shut it down if it gets too uncivil. I too like a spirited debate. I can differ with you and still like you. I hate Vipers with cat puke interiors!! :roflsmiley: :smilielol:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2008 - 09:38:45 PM »
I think we all need to realize that the country just went through a historic election. I feel like most of the members here. I like to think that for the most part I can debate differences without getting hateful or demanding that people see my point of view. I think like any family a little serious discussion does a lot of good. Just as long as people do not go to far and again to mirror others statements, I feel the mods do an excellent job of weeding out the threads that are getting out of hand. To moderate is an important part of our little world and I give many thanks to all the people who spend their time making this place great. I personally have not seen any abuse by any mod. I have been on other sites where power tripping mods make for a very negative environment. For what its worth I think that to limit what we can post in an off thread section actually makes that section obsolete. If you dont want anything but mopars discussed then do away with off-topic and delete any thread that has nothing to do with Barracuda and Challengers. I promise you that this site would lose an important part of itself if that were to happen. In the end I think we are all just tired of politics in general. I have had my fill of it for quite a while.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2008 - 11:08:41 PM »

Free speech? Keep it civil. As adults there is nothing wrong with a healthy debate, things still got locked too quickly. People know what the thread is about and what posts are in that thread, if they wear their heart on their sleeves or get hurt feelings, don't post - it's that simple. I've seen threads get locked for very minor debates, heated? a little, but hardly worth closing it down. It's like kindergarten. "In your corners kids - time out"  :-\ There are plenty of places to talk about it on the www but I like to talk about anything and everything with like minded people. People who share a passion with MoPars.
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2008 - 11:13:37 PM »
Well I didn`t lock it , I was just watching it

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2008 - 01:06:23 AM »
Well since i already violated my golden rule today, guess I'll do it again here in this post.

I've requested several threads be locked during the past month, and they were locked. I watched these threads go along until such time as either a person posted an opinion that was not going along with the tone of the majority of the posters, and they jumped this person, or the tone of the thread took racist overtones. I wont stand for that, and neither should anyone on here. PERIOD.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2008 - 02:13:59 AM »

Racism and a heated debate are two different kettles of fish. Obviously, no one on any good forum should put up with racist or personal comments, it's a given. This isn't what it's about. It's about locking threads that to the majority seem quite tame. If people don't want to be involved in a mature thread with other like mind MoPar people then they can easily choose not to click and stay in another topic, lots of car stuff here so people should post in them if it's getting their knickers in a twist. Others don't make them read the posts. In saying this, some threads in the past definitely needed to be locked, I'm not saying don't lock those threads but it's getting to a point where it's a little over the top. Forums are noting more than peoples opinions and in my own it shouldn't be as tight around here. We've shown we're all good friendly people. Fair enough you asked to be locked but I mean, most of these are harmless, no one is forcing you to read them so why spoil other peoples debates and opinions cause you're offended?

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2008 - 02:59:09 AM »
I have never asked a thread to be locked that did not deserve it. I'll be straight up here, some of the newer members stretch the line.

I dont care what you say, as long as it's not out of bounds. But i refuse to  let stand comments that are totally out of line. I wont be associated with a web site that lets such comments stand.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2008 - 04:15:25 AM »

Yes, again, racism and personal attacks have no place on ANY forum.
This is about locking threads that are neither of the above, basically healthy debating.

But Admin and Mods call, just have to live with it right or wrong............

Offline wiiildcat

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2008 - 06:26:59 AM »
I know I don't matter on here, but I think debate with friends is healthy, I consider people on here to be friends just because until somebody does me wrong they deserve that. I find it very interesting people's views on all matter of things, I disagree with alot of the ideas and beliefs posted in some of these threads and get down right mad at some of the post, but that being said and to steal hemi71's quote "I may not agree with what you say sir, but i will defend your right to say it to my last breath" Asking to lock the threads you disagree with is like saying I will defend you as long as you agree with me. I know that's gonna cost me lol.

Offline ROMI

• 71 Challenger R/T 340 4 speed, Lapeer Michigan
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2008 - 07:29:34 AM »
Sorry but I gotta chime in...
This isn't about free speech or rights or healthy debates, when this site first started it was a haven for car folks who just wanted to talk about their E bodies.
Nobody is denying the right to free speech or saying it's wrong here.  It's just that alot of people came in here to get away from all that and now it's in every other thread you see.
If you're anything like me, you "click" on "show unread posts since last visit" and you get everything current.  Yeah, I already avoid looking at alot but it's just that more of those threads appear IN PLACE OF what this board was originally all about and that makes it a real bummer.

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2008 - 09:17:34 AM »

I dont care what you say, as long as it's not out of bounds. But i refuse to  let stand comments that are totally out of line. I wont be associated with a web site that lets such comments stand.

Thats a very subjective thing. You know what they say, "One mans trash is another mans treasure". That goes the same for opinions. Something can be said innocently or in jest that someone takes the wrong way and makes a big deal about. There is nothing wrong with debate or discussion of any type among people who have a friendly relationship, just like in this forum. What would it be like if you were with a group of people, like in a bar for example, and you started to talk about something, and the bartender jumped up and said, "Hey! No talking about that in this bar!"? Thats censorship, not the right of free speech that this country used to be based on.

I appreciate the job the mods do, but sometimes, I think itchy trigger fingers exist. If we're not allowed to talk about anything but Mopars, then lets get rid of the "Offtopic" section.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2008 - 09:43:11 AM »

It's just that alot of people came in here to get away from all that and now it's in every other thread you see.

:lol: Every other thread you say?? A little exaggeration there to say the least. It's like 6 threads in the last month (this in a time when the whole world has been taken over by the elections). In that case, rather slim, don't you think? Take a look at the Off Topic menu, there are 3 threads on the first page that are what some call "bad". That's including this one which no doubt will be locked before long because members are voicing opinions about something of which may not be agreed upon by the powers to be.

I agree 100% with jeryst. We're friendly people here and we all get along, right? Yet we can't talk about certain things (to a point)? Imagine this as it is, an online a car club. Can you imagine going to a bar or sitting down for a meal with like minded people and being told you can't say that? LOL! Forums are as much a part of the car hobby in todays world as car shows and swap meets and as that goes, you say what you like amongst friends and people with a common interest. Close the threads that are obviously in bad shape but don't lock things when it's a comment that disagrees with someone else, which is what it seems to be.

Simple fact is, as jeryst said, why have Off Topic? There are 37 car boards on this forum and 2 off topic (1 if you don't count the Babes section), seems like a small ratio and a lot of fuss over a very small %. A lot of wet blankets if you ask me. If you're here for cars, like we all are, then if you don't get your "MoPar fix" from 37 different sections and boards then you need help. Let people speak their mind, you don't need to read or watch, if a thread reads: "What do you think of Obama?" and you enter it AND make a post you've got no one else to blame but yourself. If you don't like it move on to something you do like but at least give the others a chance to voice a reasonable opinion.

:2cents:

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2008 - 09:49:52 AM »
I view this board like going to the local pub for a pint.  Lots of good friends, we talk about or favourite hobby, and also shoot the bull over current events.  I don't like the conversation at one table, I'll go seek out friends talking about something else.

:cheers:

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2008 - 10:46:48 AM »
Thats a very subjective thing. You know what they say, "One mans trash is another mans treasure". That goes the same for opinions. Something can be said innocently or in jest that someone takes the wrong way and makes a big deal about. There is nothing wrong with debate or discussion of any type among people who have a friendly relationship, just like in this forum. What would it be like if you were with a group of people, like in a bar for example, and you started to talk about something, and the bartender jumped up and said, "Hey! No talking about that in this bar!"? Thats censorship, not the right of free speech that this country used to be based on.

I appreciate the job the mods do, but sometimes, I think itchy trigger fingers exist. If we're not allowed to talk about anything but Mopars, then lets get rid of the "Offtopic" section.

There zillions of things that qualify a "Off Topic". Airplanes, motorcylces, houses, money, science,  :blah:    :blah:    :blah:     :blah:     Off Topic does not mean controversial subject matter.  There are many topics that can be discussed in the "Off Topic" section without bringing up the hot button issues.  As far as doing away with that section, that ain't gonna happen.  As I have said before, I you desire healthy debate about controversial issues, use the chat room, PM's or go to a forum dedicated to that subject matter.   :2thumbs:
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2008 - 11:09:00 AM »

Before I post this, I'm all for freedom of speech but also realise this isn't my board and what the powers to be, say, goes - period. However, in fear of being locked for speaking up, why not talk about some "heated" issues amongst people you share a common interest with? :dunno: Seems fair, doesn't it? Hot button issues should be watched but not locked so quickly, I feel that is the point here. As I said, there are 37 car boards and 1 off topic, I'm sure most will agree a healthy debate in that one section is fine. We don't want to have a board where everyone has to say stuff they don't want to (ie: brown nose) just to keep everyone happy for fear of hurting someones feelings or posting something someone may not agree with, it'd be like logging into mopars-in-iraq.com. :lol: This in itself is a touchy subject, a few rebels speaking their mind (and they should be allowed to) and its been very civil.