Author Topic: Fuel tank cleaning  (Read 3080 times)

Offline femtnmax

Fuel tank cleaning
« on: November 05, 2008 - 10:21:52 PM »
I recently restored a car where a replacement fuel tank, and fuel sender were not available.  I tried muratic acid, which removed the rust, but did nothing for removal of the tar-like gunk that coated most of the inside of the fuel tank.
So I tried an industrial strength grease remover used for cleaning food service kitchens.  The product I found locally is called Dynamo-X, made in Helena Montana.  It can be diluted 50/50 or weaker.  Sells for about $17 per gallon, and is biodegradeable.
I mixed 5 gallons of the dynamo with 7 gallons water.  Let the tank sit for 10 days, stirred it once a day.  The tank came out spotless inside, no further work beyond pressure washing, rinse with clean water, let dry in the sun, an slosh the inside with 3 bottles of Heet moisture remover.
I then soaked the "frozen" fuel sender unit overnite in the "dirty" dynamo solution.  Very lite scraping removed all rust and other gunk.  The sender checked out perfectly after that and was able to be reused, and I had thought it was a goner.
Hope this is of help to someone.  It sure saved the job I was on.
Phil

Offline G_Man440

Re: Fuel tank cleaning
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008 - 02:11:44 AM »
Great information. Thanks.
70 Challenger R/T, 440, 727, AC

Offline black71

• eph 6:12
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008 - 12:49:19 AM »
 :iagree: thanks i'll have to try it out!

Offline e-tek

• My website: http://edanneberg.googlepages.com/home
    • E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008 - 04:22:11 PM »
Bet that stuff will take the skin and fat right off your hands and arms too!!!

Offline black71

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008 - 01:00:51 AM »
where can one get muratic acid?

Offline duodec

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008 - 12:09:35 AM »
Usually you can get muriatic acid at places that sell pool supplies.  Its also used for cleaning/etching concrete and brick.  Home Depot may carry it; Osco, FIM stores, whoever does pools or home improvement might.

Offline black71

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008 - 01:56:21 PM »
great thanks i picked some up today? any idea of dilution and how much i need to clean my tank? do i just rinse with water afterwards?

Offline duodec

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008 - 11:19:04 PM »
Sorry, on that I have no idea.

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008 - 09:51:13 PM »
great thanks i picked some up today? any idea of dilution and how much i need to clean my tank? do i just rinse with water afterwards?
The acid I bought at Home Depot was already diluted to only about 10-15%.  I did not dilute it any further, and I bought 4 or 5 gallons.   I sloshed it around to coat all surfaces, then let it sit overnite to try and loosen the gunk on the bottom of the tank, but it didn't do anything to the gunk.
You could buy enough to fill the tank, so you need at least a dozen gallons, it wasn't too expensive.
 I read somewhere the acid if strong concentration will etch or remove the galvanized coating that originally coats the tank, but the acid I bought was so weak that it did NOT hurt the coating.
Maybe try a little on the rim where the fuel sender unit sits.  I poured some on that area and it cut the surface residue clean off, looked good.
Also read that baking soda and water mix will neutralize the acid when your done, so mix up some and slosh around everywhere inside the tank.  I would rinse it afterwords several times with water, then several times with gas, then let air dry prior to installation.  Hope this helps some.
Phil

Offline edl

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010 - 12:55:43 PM »
Phil - it might be that Dynamo was purchase by this company - either way, you guys should check it out - they have a ton of useful cleaning/lubricating product (have no monetary interest here ... just FYI)

http://www.gpchemicals.ca/profile.htm

thanks

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010 - 08:29:03 PM »
Phil - it might be that Dynamo was purchase by this company - either way, you guys should check it out - they have a ton of useful cleaning/lubricating product (have no monetary interest here ... just FYI)
Great info.  Looks like GPchem has many good cleaning products that could work perfectly for auto use.  Thanks!!
Phil

Offline Skunkworks Challenger

• Mopars forever!
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010 - 08:47:37 PM »
All the above is really good information.  Acetone also cleanes out the gummy material from gasoline.  Ace Hardware carries both acetone and muratic acid.  12 to 14 % is the normal consumer grade of muratic so for us it should be considered full strength.  It's like household bleach which is about 12% free cholorine.  That's full strength grade for almost all consumers.  The muratic acid should be neutralized with warm soapy water followed by lots of rinsing with cold water befor applying the sealer.  Acetone is good for helping dry out the tank after rinsing also. My tank came out pretty good. PK
The Brewmaster