What I want for my tax dollars

Author Topic: What I want for my tax dollars  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
What I want for my tax dollars
« on: November 06, 2008 - 07:58:16 AM »
With the changing of the guard so to speak,  I thought a thread on what you think the federal government's role in your life should be.  No need to bash other people's belief's, remember they believe in their response just as you believe in yours.

1.  Overall, for my tax dollars, I want the gov't to provide me with a framework within which I can work and improve my lot in life, allowing me to profit of fail according to my decisions and actions.

2.  Basic necessities - Roads, interstate highways, states and local gov't can take it from there.  Education,  an equal education for citizens that are the same no matter where you live through High School.  No funding non-gov't schools, no paying for non-citizens education.  Health care, oversight only to the point that we are reasonably safe from dangerous drugs and procedures.  As for insurance, see #1, if I choose to work and make something of myself, I can afford insurance.  If not, don't make someone else pay for mine.

3.  I also believe it is the gov'ts role to keep it's citizens safe from threats both external & internal.  First and formost, it should look out for the interests of it's citizens, then, if possible, those of other countries.  This should not be a wait until we are attacked and respond policy, but one in which threats are addressed before they are carried out.  For my part in this,  all citizens should spend a set amount of time serving in the military, whether in a combat or a support role.  Everyone does their part, everyone benifits.

Just some basics on my part, I'm sure there's exceptions,  things I've left out.  Not saying that I expect to get what I want, just listing a few that I think are important.

P.G.

O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: What I want for my tax dollars
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008 - 08:28:36 AM »

I give this post 15 replies............ :lol2:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008 - 08:32:57 AM »
1.   I would like to add 10-year term limits for members of congress.
2.   I would like to see a 5 % tax on everyone with no deductions and no exceptions.
3.   I would like to see a line item veto in order to cut out the pork and wasted spending.
4.   I would like to see congress have the same health care benefits the rest of the country enjoys.

:bigsmile:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline farmertan

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008 - 09:12:24 AM »
i believe one of the biggest things to fix this country would be tort law, im no expert but i think it means if you sue mcdonals for spilling hot coffee on your lap and lose you pay there lawyer bill. this would stop most frivolous lawsuits and make insurance and products cheaper for all of us. 2 flat tax would get rid of the irs.
73 340 4sp 2nd owner since 85    brett

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008 - 09:21:54 AM »
i believe one of the biggest things to fix this country would be tort law, if you sue mcdonals for spilling hot coffee on your lap and lose you pay there lawyer bill.

Amen and pass the Budweiser! :2thumbs:
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline Goehner

• 392 IE
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008 - 09:46:14 AM »
1.   I would like to add 10-year term limits for members of congress.
2.   I would like to see a 5 % tax on everyone with no deductions and no exceptions.
3.   I would like to see a line item veto in order to cut out the pork and wasted spending.
4.   I would like to see congress have the same health care benefits the rest of the country enjoys.

:bigsmile:

AMEN!! Flat tax no matter what you make. One page of tax code not hundreds of pages. Make it simple and impossible to cheat.
392 Edition on order
08 Mega Cab 3500 SRW 6.7 CTD, 2" Leveling kit, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ
05 Durango Limited, Yea, it's got a HEMI!!

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008 - 10:05:39 AM »
AMEN!! Flat tax no matter what you make. One page of tax code not hundreds of pages. Make it simple and impossible to cheat.

:iagree: The only problem with that is that it's too simple, the government would never go for it! :smilielol:
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline buddydog

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008 - 10:29:07 AM »
:iagree: The only problem with that is that it's too simple, the government would never go for it! :smilielol:

Not only is it too simple, but that would mean millions of Tax saystem employees would be out of a job and begging for more Government assistance!  :hyper:

The only thing I would add to what has been mentioned would be an end to Bailouts of any kind. If GM is going out of business it is due to bad choices and marketing. We don't want their products and it is asinine for the Government to decide to keep them afloat using our tax dollars.

Geoff

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008 - 09:26:13 PM »
First thing, I dont condone political posts on here, and this is political no matter how you look at it.

I'll violate my golden rule just once, hopefully this will remain civil

We need socialized medical care. Thats a basic right, just like free speech, freedom of religon, etc... We are not in the 18th century, we are in the 21st century. We are advanced enough to be able to make sure ALL children recieve the best medical care possible. It should not be true that any child has to suffer with inadequate medical care because of their parents neglect or inability to afford insurance. same goes for adults, medical care is a RIGHT, not a privilege

I think EVERY citizen should serve a minimum of 2 years public service after graduating HS. Thats everyone...no deferments for college, special allowances because your father has $$ or is a senator or mayor or whatever. You can choose to go into the military, or a civilian branch of service. You serve two years, you get two years of FREE advanced education, 4 years gets you 4 years of free school. EVERYONE serves, period.

We need the government to step up and fund the infrastructure in this country better, and stop wasting $$ overseas on ill advised military adventures that return hundreths of pennies on the dollar of investment. We dont own the world, and it's not our responsibility to ensure everyone is safe from tyranny. You need our help, request it and we'll see what we can do, and what you've done for us in the past. If you like to oppose us at every turn in our diplomatic efforts, dont expect any help from us when that 8.5 earthquake hits.

We need to protect our borders, and insure eveyone here is here legally. It's a great disservice to all of those who enter this country legally and follow all the rules to let those who choose to bypass those rules stay and even benefit from those of us who pay taxes.

We need to aggressively persue our enemies, but do so in a way that does not alienate our allies. the first Gulf war is an excellent example of this, this excurrsion into Iraq is exactly what we should not do. We need to finsh the job in Afganistan and get out...the Soviet Union learned that country is a quagmire you can never get out of cleanly. It's been that way for centuries.

You get thrown in jail, you work. Not sitting around thinkin about what scam you are going to run when you get out...hard physical labor for your term and maybe you pick up a skill so you get a job after you get out. I believe in the 3 strikes rule...three offenses and you get life of hard labor, with a lottery every month where a certain small percentage of these hard-core criminals gets the death sentence.

We need a graduated income tax, no flat tax deal. You benefit from this country's freedoms, you give back to it. You make more than 10 million a year as a individual, your rate is 50%. Includes all type of income. No tax shelters, no incorporating yourself. One of the richest men in this country is Warren Buffet, and he's on record that the tax rates he pays are obscenely low. Dont like the tax rate, go to another country and make your living there. you make that much money, you can afford to pay the taxes to help the less fortunate. I'm willing to pay more, and i dont make anywhere near 300K a year. Nobody needs that much $$ anyway, it just breeds greed. People need to stop valueing the dollar as GOD. Give back to the country that enabled you to succeed. Start a education fund for innercity or poor country kids, donate some of your time to help those less fortunate than you.

Want to go on welfare, be prepared to go thru testing to see if you are able bodied to work. If you can work, then you earn that welfare check. You can answer phones from home if you have little kids, we can use you somehow. You like popping kids out without any consideration for their future? We can get a court ordered sterilization.

Want a divorce? It wont be easy, and you WILL pay for the kids future, i dont care if it's the mom or dad that the kids live with. Dont want to pay, strike one of my 3 strikes rule. that will entice the vast majority of those deadbeats to pay their child support or maybe work on their marriage a little harder to avoid the divorce in the first palce

Gas guzzler taxes, helmet laws for bikes, sales taxes...all for them. Your actions do have consequences on others, help pay for them. You want that 12.2 MPG Viper, you can afford the extra $$ to help fund public transit to reduce congestion and pollution. Maybe you'll never ride it, but the air will be a bit cleaner, and the congestion on the roads will be less.

You want to own a gun? fine, i have no problem with that, but be prepared to go thru screening, wait a little bit to make sure you are not a criminal or a nut case. No automatic weapons, assault rifles, etc...no good use for those things except to kill people. You can hunt with a bolt action rifle or a shot gun, You need to carry a piece, again, be prepared to justify that need. if you get caught with a handgun and dont have the permit...strike two, mandatory 5 year sentence.

Term limits..YES, legal $$ limits on lawsuits...YES. Provisions for not allowing lobbyists from entering government and vice-versa...YES.

I've already said too much

One last thing

You believe in your GOD, I believe in mine (or nothing if thats the case). Dont tell me I'm less patriotic because of my beliefs, or what part of the country i live in. I love this country just as much as you, and I'm not stupid, ignorant, or immoral just because I dont see things like you do or voted for someone you dont agee with. I respect your opinion, you respect mine. Oh, and EMBRACE diversity, it's what made this country so unique. It's a different world today than it was just 30 years ago, I see the difference in my children, and I'm damn proud of how far it's come and i believe our best times are coming. We've always been able to do our best in the most trying of times, to sacrifice to better our country, as long as we come together, and not split apart.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008 - 09:39:45 PM »
For my tax dollars I would love to have hemi71's 'Cuda vert   :droolingbounce:  :droolingbounce:  :droolingbounce:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008 - 10:10:35 PM »
I kind of understand why these things get shut down!!

Hey Carwalski,,  Is that 15 posts past yours or 15 posts total? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008 - 10:43:55 PM »
2 years of community service?  What if I dont want to go?  I think I turned out alright.  I pay taxes, I work hard. 

I think a person should be able to drive what they want.  It is a free country after all.  A person should be able to spend money how they want. 

A helmet law?  You gonna go talk Hells Angels into that one?   :bigsmile:  Seriously, if a person doesnt want to wear a helmet, its their right.

hemi71, I respect your opinion, its just that I think government controlls too much now.  Then we would have to pay people to controll all of that stuff.  Guess it would make new jobs.   :lol:   

You have some valid points.   :cheers:

And as for the original question, I want my tax dollars to get put to good use, I dont care where they go. 

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008 - 10:45:36 PM »
I think its cool that he feels ok to reveal his personal ideas on things here. I do not agree with some of them but hey, that why we call it America  :wavingflag:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline buddydog

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008 - 11:30:42 PM »
I look at Rights like this....

If I was dropped on a desert island all by myself, what Rights would I have. I would most definitely have the right to Happiness or Wealth depending on how I viewed either of those things. I would have the Right to Security. I would have the Right to scrape out a living for myself. It gets a little fuzzy though if someone else washes up....

For example, what if my "living" somehow became a detriment to this new resident? At that point aren't I imposing on his Rights to Safety and Security? What if he cuts himself while looking for food, gets an infection and I have the only bottle of antiseptic? Does he have the Right to take it from me simply because he got sick? It's mine isn't it? What I do have is a moral obligation to provide for him, he does not in fact have a Right to it. To answer the riddle, I'd give it to him freely in a heartbeat.

I would do that because it is fair and just, not because someone told me I had to do it. Freedom, Happiness, Earning a living, these things do not deem that a whole segment of the population must cater to another. By saying Healthcare is a Right means you are creating what amounts to a slave class, they must be there for the good of everyone else like it or not and you will get paid what we say you will get paid, not what you feel your services are truly worth.... I never had insurance growing up, you know what I did? I went to the Doctor anyway and paid for it. Why has that suddenly become a horrible thing to ask of people.

I too love this country because we can all say what we want without fear but I think we need to read the preamble and the Bill of Rights in order to  truly understand what the rules are before we plan our perfect world. I do not want to spend my life working for someone else's benefit. I am sorry if that makes me sound cold.

Rant over and out.

Geoff

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008 - 12:19:42 AM »
2 years of community service?  What if I dont want to go?  I think I turned out alright.  I pay taxes, I work hard. 

I think a person should be able to drive what they want.  It is a free country after all.  A person should be able to spend money how they want. 

A helmet law?  You gonna go talk Hells Angels into that one?   :bigsmile:  Seriously, if a person doesnt want to wear a helmet, its their right.

It's not about how you turned out,I'm sure you are a fine person and you work hard. It's about giving back to the country you live in, and not just in $$.

I did not say you cant buy a viper, but if you can afford that luxury, you can afford to help out with the extra consumption of fuel you cause.

When a motorcycle rider gets into a accident and is incapacitated for the rest of his life due to not wearing a helmet, we all pay for that. so why should i pay for their stupidity? Free choice only goes so far as to when it impacts others in a negative way. statistics show the best way to survive a motorcycle accident is to wear a helmet.

I guees the difference is i see things as a team effort, you see them as more from an individual perspective. I happen to believe we are at our best when we do things for the betterment of US as a whole, and not just for ourselves. Both perspectives have their merits.

I know what i posted wont be the most popular ideas on here, but i never worried about being popular...I've driven mopars all my life, owned over 100 of em. I carried the Mopar flag when these cars were considered the red-headed step childs of the musclecar world. Believe me when i say i took a lot of heat voicing my opinions to my car/mopar friends during this election.

I appreciate you reading my post and your position. i'll quote someone from long ago. i hope i have the right person and the quote correctly...."I may not agree with what you say sir, but i will defend your right to say it to my last breath"

I believe that was Sam Adams, (the patriot not the beer)...although i really like the sam adams summer ale. (actually i think it was Patrick Henry, but they dont have a patrick henry beer to tie into the cheers below)

:cheers: