Author Topic: Overheating Issue  (Read 30422 times)

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: Overheating Issue
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2008 - 11:11:15 PM »
when you ran the car previously without a thermostat, did water flow through the radiator then? What thermostat type and temp range are you running? You could always pull a heater hose off and see if it pumps water, it should do that regardless of the radiator or thermostat, that will get you going in the right direction towards pump/block/belts etc. or towards radiator thermostat and hose issues
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2008 - 10:24:26 AM »
when you ran the car previously without a thermostat, did water flow through the radiator then?

I did not look....

What thermostat type and temp range are you running?

Not too sure on the type, but it's a 180.

I just got my new WP today, along with new hoses, belts, and I currently have an 18" flex fan, but I'm gonna see about picking up a 20" to see if that helps any.....I'll be trying to install today, so I'll post results once done.  :crazy:

Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0

Offline 74 340 4speed

« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2008 - 10:38:23 AM »
Wow.....sounds like my exact problem.......do you remember how much you paid for your new radiator?

If I remember right, it was around 550-600 bucks.  worth every penny.

this is the only good picture i have of it in the car.  just neglect the rust :roflsmiley:

Andy
1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc 505 hp/506 ft lbs|4 speed|Posi|3.73s
1969 C/10  350|Turbo 350
1969 Dodge D300 318|4 speed|Dana|4.88s
1972Nova: 350|Turbo 350
1974 'Cuda: 340|4 speed|Dana 60|4.10s|posi
1999 Camaro SS: Auto|Longtube Headers|True Duals|TT2s
2013 Challenger R/T: 6 speed|Hurst with pistol grip|mopar performance exhaust|super track pak

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2008 - 10:51:24 AM »
I just got my new WP today, along with new hoses, belts, and I currently have an 18" flex fan, but I'm gonna see about picking up a 20" to see if that helps any.....I'll be trying to install today, so I'll post results once done.  :crazy:

Best to check the clearance between that 18" fan and the lower radiator hose before you try and go any bigger. It'd make short work of that hose if it touches!
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2008 - 11:11:59 AM »
I did not look....

Not too sure on the type, but it's a 180..

Do yourself a favor and yank the thermostat and test it on your stove with a pot of water. Make sure it opens where it should (a bit before the water starts boiling if you don't have a cooking thermometer)
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline RDF

« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2008 - 12:33:05 PM »

Do yourself a favor and yank the thermostat and test it on your stove with a pot of water. Make sure it opens where it should (a bit before the water starts boiling if you don't have a cooking thermometer)

Just gone done boiling.....opens up all the way.... :2thumbs:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2008 - 02:22:42 PM »
i buy only Stant or Gates T stats , Motorad are prone to fail
 flex fans are not ideal either , I use clutch fans they are far more efficient , Flex-a-lite has a 18" 6 blade , you can either buy the clutch from them or a local supplier

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2008 - 05:48:52 PM »
Here is another idea. Reaching I know but here it goes. Start the car and let it run till it gets nice and toasty. Do this in a dark area. Now close the hood of the car till it is almost completely closed but you can still see the exhaust. Not sure if you're running headers or manifolds. But look at them and see if they are glowing red. Trying to see if you're running a lean burn that is running the heads super hot. Just a thought. Nothing has fixed it so far...

Offline 74 340 4speed

« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2008 - 08:42:17 PM »
I forgot to mention this.  If you drill a 3/16" hole in the flat part of the t-stat, it will allow water to continually circulate from the engine to the rad.  It will take longer to warm up, but the "shock" of the t-stat opening the first time is completely avoided.  If the car heats up just as fast after you do this, then water isn't circulating through your rad correctly.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008 - 08:55:35 PM by 74 340 4speed »
Andy
1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc 505 hp/506 ft lbs|4 speed|Posi|3.73s
1969 C/10  350|Turbo 350
1969 Dodge D300 318|4 speed|Dana|4.88s
1972Nova: 350|Turbo 350
1974 'Cuda: 340|4 speed|Dana 60|4.10s|posi
1999 Camaro SS: Auto|Longtube Headers|True Duals|TT2s
2013 Challenger R/T: 6 speed|Hurst with pistol grip|mopar performance exhaust|super track pak

Offline RDF

« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2008 - 08:30:14 PM »
Ok, got it back together but still overheating when idling....I didn't have a chance to take it out for a run b/c I noticed I put the power steering belt on with a twist, so I didn't want to chance anything....but I got flow now to the rad, as there was plenty of fluid coming out of the top of the radiator with the cap off when I kicked it down off high idle. 

Tomorrow I will get a new belt and a new radiator cap (as that's the only thing I didn't replace) and go from there.   :walkaway:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

My build:

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2008 - 08:43:52 AM »
Did you ever check to see if anything is glowing red???

Offline RDF

« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2008 - 08:49:51 AM »
Did you ever check to see if anything is glowing red???

No, and I should have b/c last night it was out in the dark......I didn't notice the headers glowing last night while I had it outside though, but then again, I wasn't looking for that issue.  I'll try again tonight to see if it does it.
Bob

1973 'Cuda

My build:

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2008 - 09:01:20 AM »
So at this point you have replaced the thermostat, water pump and radiator, and still no fix? But there is flow going through the rad core. Can you pull the plugs and look at them today? See if any of them are white? Lean burning. I am wondering if one of the cylinders is lean burning. This would cause a lot of heat What about timing. Should be around 12 degrees advanced. give or take. What carb is on there?

Offline RDF

« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2008 - 01:18:38 PM »
So at this point you have replaced the thermostat, water pump and radiator, and still no fix? But there is flow going through the rad core. Can you pull the plugs and look at them today? See if any of them are white? Lean burning. I am wondering if one of the cylinders is lean burning. This would cause a lot of heat What about timing. Should be around 12 degrees advanced. give or take. What carb is on there?

Correct, and I just got a new radiator cap today at the LPS (local part store) and will try that tonight.

I will also pull a couple of plugs to check the ends for lean burning.  Timing I'm not sure on b/c I don't have a test light and I forget how to determine it.....but it's got an Eddie 600 performer carb on it.  I've always felt the carb is not properly tuned/setup, but never confirmed it.
Bob

1973 'Cuda

My build:

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2008 - 03:31:14 PM »
So what you're saying is not good. The engine may be way out of tune. This can cause some very big issues in the way it creates heat. Also take note on the plug part number and range. The temp of the plug can be used to cool the cylinders. So you have a few tasks to get done tonight. But the tuning thing might be a tough one to get around without being there.