Author Topic: Overheating Issue  (Read 30443 times)

Offline Grancoupe

Re: Overheating Issue
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2008 - 05:34:11 PM »
Wow. I'm sorry but I'm too lazy to go back over all the threads but do you actually get flow through the rad?

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2008 - 05:54:34 PM »
You did dilute the anti-freeze 50/50 when you changed it out didn't you?
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2008 - 05:59:12 PM »
Wow. I'm sorry but I'm too lazy to go back over all the threads but do you actually get flow through the rad?

No

You did dilute the anti-freeze 50/50 when you changed it out didn't you?

Yes  :bigsmile:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2008 - 06:03:38 PM »
I was pretty sure you would know to do that, just covering bases.  :thumbsup:
*Brett*

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2008 - 06:05:58 PM »
This might sound a bit extreme but at this point you're overheating with no flow and you confirmed the pump is good and the rad is flowing by pulling the lower hose and everything is flowing out the bottom. What I would have to consider now is some sort of blockage in the block. Its not a very complicated system. I just listed the mainparts and everything seems ok.
I would pull the housing off completely. The main housing so you can uncover the two main in and out ports. Blast a hose into the pass side one and see if it flows throught he block.
One other thing. When you overheat are you pegging the tem or just overflowing. If its overflowing it could be pressuring from a head gasket leak. If its heat I can't see a head gasket causing it unless it sucked out all the cooling but you would see that plain as day from the white smoke that would be billowing out the pipes.

Offline RDF

« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2008 - 06:22:10 PM »
This might sound a bit extreme but at this point you're overheating with no flow and you confirmed the pump is good and the rad is flowing by pulling the lower hose and everything is flowing out the bottom. What I would have to consider now is some sort of blockage in the block. Its not a very complicated system. I just listed the mainparts and everything seems ok.
I would pull the housing off completely. The main housing so you can uncover the two main in and out ports. Blast a hose into the pass side one and see if it flows throught he block.
One other thing. When you overheat are you pegging the tem or just overflowing. If its overflowing it could be pressuring from a head gasket leak. If its heat I can't see a head gasket causing it unless it sucked out all the cooling but you would see that plain as day from the white smoke that would be billowing out the pipes.

Temp is pegging, water is not overflowing.....no white smoke what-so-ever from the engine or the exhaust.

I was told to do the exact same thing with regards to taking out the two main ports and running a hose through it to see if it's blocked.
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2008 - 06:49:55 PM »
Its the only thing left that I can think of. Maybe something fell into the block during an assembly and it shifted? Anyway if it blocks up one way try forcing the water in the other and see if it improves.
Belt routings are correct? Standard v belts? Or serp belts?

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2008 - 07:02:16 PM »
I remember a Ford we had in autoshop in HS back in the 70's that kept overheating. We found somebody used the wrong gasket behind the water pump to block connection that blocked a water passage. You never know till you look. Maybe somebody made a gasket for it and forgot to make the hole for the water.  :icon16:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline RDF

« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2008 - 08:24:30 PM »
 :faint:

The saga continues.....

Took some advice from a coworker and Grandcoupe and while I had the WP off I stuck my hose in each side to see if fluid came out the other side....ans sure enough, it came out both sides when it put it in either side.   :bananasmi for the fact nothing in the block seems clogges, but  >:( because it still doesn't help solve my issue......I'm sure we're getting closer so this is all for not.

:clueless:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

My build:

Offline 74 340 4speed

« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2008 - 09:36:00 PM »
There was a 22" big block b-body rad in my 'Cuda when I started working on it.  After sitting for 25 years, when i took the hoses off of it, and the water drained out of it effortlessly.  I ran about 5 gallons of luke warm water through it to clean it out(no rust came out of it), and filled it with a 50/50 mix.  When I got the car running, I put a 160* thermostat in it, new engine wiring, and a new temperature sending unit and drove it.  Within 5 miles, it was close to 230* degrees.  I had the rad boiled out, reinstalled it, and the car still did the same thing.  The point I'm getting at is that smoothflow through the rad doesn't always mean good cooling ability. 
So, I replaced the rad with an aluminum one from Mancini Racing, and a mopar peformance aluminum water pump.  In the summer time, the car will not run over 180 degrees, no matter how long I sit and idle.  If its 70* or cooler, it hovers from 155-160*.  I would upgrade to this rad and water pump.  It was the best investment I made.  This made all the difference in the world.
The old waterpump was moving coolant fine.  The cooling vanes on the pump impeller were still there, and had plenty of surface area to move the water.  As others have described I've seen pumps where the impeller vanes where gone, and it just looked like a thin fan blade.  The pump was unable to move any water in the engine in this case.  All of these pumps I've seen have been ford pumps though. 
Andy
1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc 505 hp/506 ft lbs|4 speed|Posi|3.73s
1969 C/10  350|Turbo 350
1969 Dodge D300 318|4 speed|Dana|4.88s
1972Nova: 350|Turbo 350
1974 'Cuda: 340|4 speed|Dana 60|4.10s|posi
1999 Camaro SS: Auto|Longtube Headers|True Duals|TT2s
2013 Challenger R/T: 6 speed|Hurst with pistol grip|mopar performance exhaust|super track pak

Offline RDF

« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2008 - 09:39:56 PM »
There was a 22" big block b-body rad in my 'Cuda when I started working on it.  After sitting for 25 years, when i took the hoses off of it, and the water drained out of it effortlessly.  I ran about 5 gallons of luke warm water through it to clean it out(no rust came out of it), and filled it with a 50/50 mix.  When I got the car running, I put a 160* thermostat in it, new engine wiring, and a new temperature sending unit and drove it.  Within 5 miles, it was close to 230* degrees.  I had the rad boiled out, reinstalled it, and the car still did the same thing.  The point I'm getting at is that smoothflow through the rad doesn't always mean good cooling ability. 
So, I replaced the rad with an aluminum one from Mancini Racing, and a mopar peformance aluminum water pump.  In the summer time, the car will not run over 180 degrees, no matter how long I sit and idle.  If its 70* or cooler, it hovers from 155-160*.  I would upgrade to this rad and water pump.  It was the best investment I made.  This made all the difference in the world.
The old waterpump was moving coolant fine.  The cooling vanes on the pump impeller were still there, and had plenty of surface area to move the water.  As others have described I've seen pumps where the impeller vanes where gone, and it just looked like a thin fan blade.  The pump was unable to move any water in the engine in this case.  All of these pumps I've seen have been ford pumps though. 

Wow.....sounds like my exact problem.......do you remember how much you paid for your new radiator?
Bob

1973 'Cuda

My build:

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2008 - 09:45:42 PM »
I'm still puzzeled that you see no signs of flow with the cap open. I can see it not flowing enough, but not flowing at all??
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline RDF

« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2008 - 09:56:30 PM »
I'm still puzzeled that you see no signs of flow with the cap open. I can see it not flowing enough, but not flowing at all??

I know that sounds weird, but I swear to you....not starting the car for 2 weeks, the choke kicked on and was on high for about 5 minutes, no flow.  Then I kicked it down and waited about 5 more minutes, nothing.....I could see the particles (sp?) floating in the anti-freeze, that's how stagnant(sp?) the fluid was.  Then I put it in gear and let it sit with my foot on the brake for abuot another 5 or so minutes and the temp was right around 195ish and put it in park to check the fluid again....still nothing......talk about weird..... :dunno:  :clueless:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

My build:

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2008 - 10:47:45 PM »
I know that sounds weird, but I swear to you....not starting the car for 2 weeks, the choke kicked on and was on high for about 5 minutes, no flow.  Then I kicked it down and waited about 5 more minutes, nothing.....I could see the particles (sp?) floating in the anti-freeze, that's how stagnant(sp?) the fluid was.  Then I put it in gear and let it sit with my foot on the brake for abuot another 5 or so minutes and the temp was right around 195ish and put it in park to check the fluid again....still nothing......talk about weird..... :dunno:  :clueless:

Do one more thing RDF, when the car is dead cold, start it and let it run a couple of minutes. Check the temp with your finger and keep doing that every 3 seconds or so until the engine temp gauge says it is to temperature. If you feel the coolant getting warm or hot that means you have some flow, just probably not enough. If it stays cold in the radiator then something is blocking the flow like you are saying. It seems weird that you have checked so many things and still get no flow whatsoever.
*Brett*

Offline RDF

« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2008 - 10:52:22 PM »
Do one more thing RDF, when the car is dead cold, start it and let it run a couple of minutes. Check the temp with your finger and keep doing that every 3 seconds or so until the engine temp gauge says it is to temperature. If you feel the coolant getting warm or hot that means you have some flow, just probably not enough. If it stays cold in the radiator then something is blocking the flow like you are saying. It seems weird that you have checked so many things and still get no flow whatsoever.

I tried that when I was testing for flow....I wanted to make sure the water was getting hotter, not just a malfunction within the gauge, and yes, the water was HOT!!!   :22yikes:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

My build: