Author Topic: Overheating Issue  (Read 30430 times)

Offline Grancoupe

Re: Overheating Issue
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2008 - 03:48:52 PM »
One more thing. When the car is running, did you ever turn on the heat with the blower on full blast to see if this helps bring the heat down any. Might be a clue.

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2008 - 04:02:50 PM »
One more thing. When the car is running, did you ever turn on the heat with the blower on full blast to see if this helps bring the heat down any. Might be a clue.

Heater core is bypassed....
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2008 - 04:37:25 PM »
At this point get someone that knows how to tune it and see where it goes from there.

Offline RDF

« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2008 - 04:41:10 PM »
At this point get someone that knows how to tune it and see where it goes from there.

yeah, that's the issue.....a couple of places that I called want 2-300 to take the carb apart and tune it.....to me, that's money that can go to my 440.... :rofl:

I just think it's odd that it didn't overheat until 6 months or so ago.....last spring I had it out for a long 1 hour haul, after goody rewired the car for me, and the temp didn't get over 180 the whole time and it was 75+ degrees outside..... :dunno:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2008 - 04:57:59 PM »
You're in Orlando???

Offline RDF

« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2008 - 05:05:51 PM »
Bob

1973 'Cuda

My build:

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2008 - 05:22:11 PM »
PM Sent

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2008 - 06:10:38 PM »
I find it hard to believe this is a tuning issue if you overheat at idle.   :screwy:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2008 - 06:19:45 PM »
I find it hard to believe this is a tuning issue if you overheat at idle.   :screwy:

Mike
Agreed. But after having covered all the possibilities I would think this problem just couldn't exist. Without getting into the motor first hand I can't come up with any other possibilities. Head gasket? Hot spot in the motor? What else is there?

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2008 - 06:51:19 PM »
Agreed. But after having covered all the possibilities I would think this problem just couldn't exist. Without getting into the motor first hand I can't come up with any other possibilities. Head gasket? Hot spot in the motor? What else is there?

We are sailing in the same boat. I'm out of suggestions too.   :pullinghair: No, it's not the head gasket if he isn't seeing white smoke out of the exhaust.   :dunno:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline RDF

« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2008 - 07:17:24 PM »
I'm going out right now to work on it.  I'll be back in a little while to post results.... :cheers:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

My build:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2008 - 07:29:03 PM »
not sure what to suggest either , something had to have changed & if you are getting no flow in the top rad tank it has to be linked to that

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2008 - 07:38:16 PM »
I have seen several head gasket failures that didn't pump coolant out the exhaust. A cracked head or cylinder wall could also cause the problem. I can offer one more possibility that I have seen exactly once, in a Pontiac 301 ci engine. On this particular engine, the piston pin was walking out of the top of the connecting rod, and carving a trench in the cylinder wall. Until the trench becomes significant, tne only sign will be a mysterious overheating complaint. It is starting to sound as if the engine needs to come apart, so a more thorough inspection of engine components can be carried out.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2008 - 08:11:33 PM »
I'm still suspect of the no coolant movement in the radiator (for the most part). If there are no other options, I'd agree with SuperCuda that I've seen plenty of head gaskets fail without white smoke out the exhaust.

Would need to check and see if the system pressurizes immediately on startup cold (it shouldn't) or find someone with a blok chek fluid tester (uses an indicator fluid in a clear tube that changes color when in the presence of exhaust) or have someone use a 4 gas analyzer (smog machine) over your coolant (not in it!) and look for high HC's that change (as in go up in number) when the engine is revved up.

These cars aren't complicated, any "decent" mechanic/shop should be able to sort this out (maybe not enough time to fix but at least diagnose), even if it is something weird, in under an hour of labor time.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline RDF

« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2008 - 08:29:25 PM »
Ok, problem solved...... :bigsmile:

Faulty radiator cap..... :eek2:  :faint:  Surprisingly(sp?) it was only mentioned once or twice in this thread......to be truthful, if you would have told me to do 10 more things and it would cost me $200 more dollars, I would have done that before thinking it was the cap.  I can't believe it......the car ran outside on high idle for about 3 minutes, then low idle for about 15......180 all the time (that's the size thermo I have in it)....no one step over it.... :bananasmi

So all is not wasted, I spent about $100 on a new pump, hoses, belts AND.....a cap..... :roflsmiley:

Just an FYI.....the headers aren't turning red and my plugs are not white......GrandCoupe, please tell Bill I will call him soon, as I would still like to hook up with him to see about him tuning my carb.   :2thumbs:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

My build: