Author Topic: Overheating Issue  (Read 30429 times)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Overheating Issue
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2008 - 09:04:42 PM »
 :banghead:

Glad you found it  :2thumbs:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2008 - 10:58:38 PM »
GREAT NEWS   :clapping:    I guess I've never had a really bad radiator cap  :clueless:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2008 - 07:57:59 AM »
GREAT NEWS   :clapping:    I guess I've never had a really bad radiator cap  :clueless:

Me either.....but it was overheating two nights ago and last night the only thing different that I did was change the cap and put a power steering belt on.....once I did that, it ran 180.....strange indeed... :clueless:

Thanks to everyone for troubleshooting this with me..... :cheers: I appreciate everyones input and help......that's why this site rocks so much....people come together for any reason to help a fellow member out.   :2thumbs: 
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2008 - 04:51:20 PM »
The "The coolant isn't circulating" kinda threw me off.  :sly:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline farmertan

« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2008 - 05:19:02 PM »
id keep checking for rtv in the rad just in case it was pluged temporarily and could plug again.
73 340 4sp 2nd owner since 85    brett

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2008 - 05:20:49 PM »
I dont see how the cap made it overheat. Mine wouldnt :clueless:

Offline farmertan

« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2008 - 05:25:30 PM »
me either you can run a car a long time in the driveway w/no cap thats why earlier he pulled rtv out of rad and if it was plugging a port in the engine somewhere it could happen again,time will tell, i hope hes got it fixed
73 340 4sp 2nd owner since 85    brett

Offline Swedefish66/67

« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2008 - 05:32:47 PM »
It says in the shop manual, when I read on overheating issues, among other causes, "faulty radiator pressure cap or seat"
Would never have crossed my mind.

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2008 - 06:33:52 PM »
I dont see how the cap made it overheat. Mine wouldnt :clueless:
I mentioned it in one of the previous threads. It raises the boiling point of the coolant when under pressure. But at idle. Not sure why a cap is necessary at idle.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2008 - 06:39:59 PM »
I mentioned it in one of the previous threads. It raises the boiling point of the coolant when under pressure. But at idle. Not sure why a cap is necessary at idle.

I'm agreeing with you guys here. I can't see starting a car up and having it overheat in a few minutes... with, or without the cap on.   :clueless:

I'm holding my breath until he drives it and says it's OK.   :grinyes:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2008 - 08:51:17 PM »

I'm agreeing with you guys here. I can't see starting a car up and having it overheat in a few minutes... with, or without the cap on.   :clueless:

I'm holding my breath until he drives it and says it's OK.   :grinyes:

Me too, to a certain extent. Everyone's car acts different, but with todays weather I drove about 9miles on the street, and 20 highway miles and forgot to turn my electric fan on. Didn't get over 165*. It's plenty cool out here. All I can think of is the lack of pressure was causing some issue with the flow characteristics of the pump  :dunno: :clueless:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2008 - 10:45:29 PM »
The radiator cap is very important for cooling system efficiency. The reason that the engine overheated with a bad cap, is because the cooling system is maxed out on cooling efficiency, and needs all the help it can get. My '67 will overheat quickly with no cap or a faulty one, and it all comes down to heat. A better fan, and some other goodies, will help the engine survive with even a faulty cap. With the heater core in the circuit, it is possible it wouldn't have overheated, and the cap wouldn't have been caught until it puked coolant on the ground, and the puddles got annoying. I didn't mention it in my posts, because it had been mentioned already, and there was the concern about coolant circulation. I am glad you discovered your problem.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2008 - 07:12:42 AM »
I  still think that tune may be part of the culprit.... get a timing light & learn how to use it
Here's a cheapie http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3343
also a vacuum gauge to set the carb http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93547

How to use  http://www.theautoist.com/vacuum_guage.htm
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2008 - 07:46:36 PM »
Ok, so I guess I jumped the gun a bit and misdiagnosed my solution for overheating......today was the first time I took it out on the road and sure enough, it began to overheat again.  Fantum was up from Miami and we hit a local car show with JR and Goody and while it didn't overheat, it sure ran hot all the way up there....about 210ish, that was at a steady 3000 RPM on the highway and sometimes at red lights, it got close to 235.... :22yikes:

So I'm back to square one with my problem.....I'm guessing it's going to be the radiator as a few others have posted the same problem and the fix seems to be the new radiator.....I could also try a shroud, but I'm not convinced 100% that putting a shroud on would resolve the issue entirely....I'm sure it would help, but only a bandaid on a large wound.....

Someone at the car show told me to get rid of the flex hose for the upper radiator hose and go with a standard hose......I guess I will try that, it's cheaper than a new rad.....but I know you all think I'm probably looney, but on Thursday night when I let the car idle, it sat for a good 15 minutes and didn't get 1 degree over 180.... :dunno:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #104 on: November 23, 2008 - 07:52:43 PM »
Ok, so I guess I jumped the gun a bit and misdiagnosed my solution for overheating......today was the first time I took it out on the road and sure enough, it began to overheat again.  Fantum was up from Miami and we hit a local car show with JR and Goody and while it didn't overheat, it sure ran hot all the way up there....about 210ish, that was at a steady 3000 RPM on the highway and sometimes at red lights, it got close to 235.... :22yikes:

So I'm back to square one with my problem.....I'm guessing it's going to be the radiator as a few others have posted the same problem and the fix seems to be the new radiator.....I could also try a shroud, but I'm not convinced 100% that putting a shroud on would resolve the issue entirely....I'm sure it would help, but only a bandaid on a large wound.....

Someone at the car show told me to get rid of the flex hose for the upper radiator hose and go with a standard hose......I guess I will try that, it's cheaper than a new rad.....but I know you all think I'm probably looney, but on Thursday night when I let the car idle, it sat for a good 15 minutes and didn't get 1 degree over 180.... :dunno:

I did not know you were lacking a shroud. That can make a BIG difference with a marginal radiator. It made all the difference with my 400 which would overheat slowly but surely running around town. When I put a shroud on it, it never got over 190 after that. You might be money ahead to give that a try.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*