Author Topic: Overheating Issue  (Read 30419 times)

Offline JayBee

• Resident
Re: Overheating Issue
« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2008 - 06:38:01 PM »
A friend of mine had some luck once fixing a console with that plumbers goop they use on PVC pipe  :dunno:
John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2008 - 08:28:59 PM »
You can rivet it or even try JB weld with the thin metal like you were thinking anyway. It is almost complete and not broken in multiple places so you got really lucky. And for a bonus the break is on the bottom where it will not be seen easily. You will be amazed at how much difference a shroud will make. Unless you have silicone floating around in your system I would put money on the shroud fixing your problem totally.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2008 - 09:50:24 PM »
I too have overheat problems still to this day with my 340. It was apparent right after the restoration was completed. I hit it from all angles. Hoses, tuning, water wetter, etc. One of the last things I did was remove the underdrive billet pulleys. This improved things a little but its not rock solid as it should be. Am running a FlowKooler pump, 26" radiator (recored to 4core) belt driven OEM fan with shroud.

I dont want to distract from your issue but am very interested in what you find relative to flow. Like yours, mine doesn't show any marked flow at the radiator cap when its running.
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #123 on: November 25, 2008 - 10:00:43 PM »
I know one thing I always heard about hot running 440's were the tightness of the bore in relation to the piston. In other words if the machinist keeps the clearances too tight then the friction causes overheating problems that dont go away. I am sure it is the same for most engines too. This same guy always told me to build a 440 just a tad on the loose side to keep the overheating problems from appearing.
*Brett*

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
« Reply #124 on: November 25, 2008 - 10:02:31 PM »
I'll definately keep everyone posted as to what is happening as I try/add things.

One thing about today is, I took it to work and the whole way in it was 180, steady....now it was also 55 degrees out this morning, so I'm sure that helped, but tonight when I drove it home from work, same thing until I hit a red light about 15 minutes into my ride.  It was a long light and the temp rose to about 200-210, then once I was moving again, it shot back down to 180-190ish...strange behavior, especially since it's never done this before.  :clueless:

I think the new, non-flex upper radiator hose helped some, but it's probably more of the placebo effect rather than anything.... :dunno:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008 - 10:04:52 PM by RDF »
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0

Offline farmertan

« Reply #125 on: November 25, 2008 - 10:09:40 PM »
remember fan to shroud placement is important too for the most air flow i think you want the fan blades just inside the back edge of shroud.
73 340 4sp 2nd owner since 85    brett

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #126 on: November 25, 2008 - 10:10:03 PM »
You are not getting good solid flow through the radiator at the stop light and that is why you are overheating when stopped in traffic. The symptoms are identical to mine when I did not have one installed.
*Brett*

Offline MoparManiac2008

« Reply #127 on: November 26, 2008 - 12:26:58 AM »
We had temperature problems in our 70 cuda, we tried everything...but what fixed it was a new radiator cap. if you havent tried that yet i definitely would. Just my  :2cents:
Don't make fun of my signature!!

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #128 on: November 26, 2008 - 07:47:23 PM »
The problem sounds like one of airflow. The temperature creeping up at the light is a good sign of this. The flex hose disturbs the flow of coolant, and slows it down, also causing unwanted turbulence and flow restriction, due to its ribbed inner surface. The shroud will make a huge difference, as it stops the airflow at the outer ends of the fan blades from being "recycled". It is one of the first things I was taught about airflow around a fan blade. At the tips (and for as much as the first 10% of the length of the blade!), airflow is circular, simply being spun from in front of the fan to behind it, and back again. The shroud, if properly placed, prevents this. The fan must be at least halfway into the shroud, and no more than all the way inserted into it. Install the fan too deep into the shroud, and you do not fix your problem; install it too shallow, and it does not fix the problem. Install the shroud before you do any other big changes to the system- I think it will fix the problem for you.

Offline Aracer

« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2008 - 11:02:12 PM »
Overheating is hit and miss, and is different for every car, due to compression and cylinder pressure variances.
     I like a light thin 18" aluminum flex fan Perma-cool #83181, set at 1.5" from the surface of the Rad. I used the 2.5" spacer #51197/ Jeg's for the adjustment, without a shroud. For me the shroud "sez, smog device" because it shrouds the Rad. in order to warm up quickly. They are ugly and noisy too.  The fan shroud doesn't really make much of a difference if the set up runs cool anyway. Shroud's funnel the air from the Rad. center at high speeds because the opening is smaller, the air coverage is incomplete.  :2cents:

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #130 on: December 04, 2008 - 02:36:08 AM »
Wassup with that giant bolt sticking out over the water pump pulley?  :clueless:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #131 on: December 04, 2008 - 07:10:11 AM »
I am guessing its a belt guard.  :swaying:

So it sounds like an air flow issue and you really should try the shroud. The one offered up here is a VERY easy fix. I fixed mine with a thin aluminum doubler, bonded and shot aircaft AN rivets thru it.

So what about flow as seen at the top of the radiator? Is this a key? These radiators are down-flow, not side-flow like newer radiators so maybe no visible flow at the cap is not an issue? 
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #132 on: December 04, 2008 - 07:37:36 AM »

So what about flow as seen at the top of the radiator? Is this a key? These radiators are down-flow, not side-flow like newer radiators so maybe no visible flow at the cap is not an issue? 

When the heat is up & the thermostat opens you know it... you can see the coolant moving rapidly across the filler neck...  My car takes much longer than the 15 minutes, I see referenced, to come to full temp. 
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
« Reply #133 on: December 04, 2008 - 08:19:41 AM »
Still waiting on the shroud.....he sent me an email and said he's been busy lately, which I think everyone can relate to, so I'll wait patiently.... :cooldancing:    :popcorn:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0

Offline Aracer

« Reply #134 on: December 05, 2008 - 10:22:26 PM »
Wassup with that giant bolt sticking out over the water pump pulley?  :clueless:
It's an invention. So the belt can't fly off the pulley, it doesn't touch unless the belt tries a wheelie. I'll have to chrome it so it fits the decor (damn critics) :roflsmiley:.