Author Topic: Overheating Issue  (Read 30413 times)

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
Re: Overheating Issue
« Reply #135 on: December 08, 2008 - 12:11:44 PM »
Sorry, I've got the shroud in my trunk.  Can't find a box for it.  Even had friends at HEB (Grocery store) look for a box, but none worked.  I'll get it to you somehow.

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
« Reply #136 on: December 08, 2008 - 12:16:06 PM »
PM me your address and I'll send you one if you can't find one.  I've got a bunch here at work....include the dimensions and I'm 99% sure I've got one.   :2thumbs:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
« Reply #137 on: December 08, 2008 - 02:31:45 PM »
Found one in my wife's sewing room.  I just removed the yarn in there....  gotta remember to replace it.  I shipped it regular post.  Don't worry about the shipping... Merry Xmas.

Offline RDF

« Reply #138 on: December 15, 2008 - 03:01:39 PM »
Tony,

Thanks for the shroud (and free shipping), I appreciate it.  :cheers:  It arrived today.  I'll have a look at it once I get home (wife called me to let me know it came) and get it on to see if it helps.  Thanks again buddy.....are you sure there's nothing you want santa to bring you this x-mas? 
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:

Offline RDF

« Reply #139 on: December 15, 2008 - 09:29:41 PM »
I pieced the shroud together tonight....I used some bendable sheet metal and rivets and fixed that crack (sorry no pics)....but now I'm wondering how the heck this thing bolts on?  I see the 4 bolt holes on my radiator, but they are just holes, not threaded or no nut behind them.  Am I supposed to use a screw and nut on each hole?  That would be virtually impossible to hold the nut in place while trying to get the screw to go through the shroud and the rad hole........any thoughts/suggestions?  :dunno:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

My build:

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #140 on: December 15, 2008 - 09:30:50 PM »
A clip nut goes over the holes :2thumbs:

Offline RDF

« Reply #141 on: December 15, 2008 - 09:35:56 PM »
do I need these brackets in this link?

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/rafanshha.html

or will the clip nuts and screws work just fine?  :clueless:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

My build:

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #142 on: December 19, 2008 - 09:44:30 PM »
clipnuts and screws will do it. Watch your length on those screws  :nono:
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline RDF

« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2008 - 03:03:15 PM »
Tony,

Thanks again for the shroud, unfortunately, it didn't work.  I pieced it together but when I put it on, 2 fan blades are hitting the bottom of it.  I know I have it on correct because I tried every other way and it doesn't even come close to lining up.  Thanks again though.

At this point I'm so frustrated that I will call it quits with this radiator and just buy another one.  :walkaway:

Anyone got any suggestions as to what kind to get, size, etc.???  I want to get one that will work with my new motor coming in soon (440) so I don't have to get another one.  Electric fans would be nice for sure, but I could hold off on those for now.

Any help is greatly appreciated.   :2thumbs:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

My build:

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2008 - 04:14:45 PM »
Get a big 26 inch rad off of a big car. Make sure it is a 3 core radiator. The shroud should fit fine and it should do a great job of cooling your car. I see no reason for getting a big dollar aluminum. If a stock radiator will not cool it then you have other problems. Sorry you are having trouble finding the solution to your cooling problem.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2008 - 04:19:28 PM »
Tony,

Thanks again for the shroud, unfortunately, it didn't work.  I pieced it together but when I put it on, 2 fan blades are hitting the bottom of it.  I know I have it on correct because I tried every other way and it doesn't even come close to lining up.  Thanks again though.

At this point I'm so frustrated that I will call it quits with this radiator and just buy another one.  :walkaway:

Anyone got any suggestions as to what kind to get, size, etc.???  I want to get one that will work with my new motor coming in soon (440) so I don't have to get another one.  Electric fans would be nice for sure, but I could hold off on those for now.

Any help is greatly appreciated.   :2thumbs:

Bob, it will take a little fanangling with hoses, However, I highly recommend getting a double-pass radiator. I wish I went that route. The design forces the coolant to pass the core of the radiator twice before heading back into the engine. I would pick the in/out based on the lower radiator hose location (of the big block), then make up an upper hose. Some have used 1.5" roll bar or exhaust tubing to make the bends they need to, to get it plumbed up.

Where the weld is on the side of the tank, there is a plate that runs near the length of the radiator, which is what makes the coolant go through twice...More thought than some would think goes into making an effective aftermarket radiator setup work.

I wouldn't buy a radiator without having the new engine installed. The spacing between the water pump and radiator core is vital for picking an electric fan(s). I wouldn't mess with an engine driven fan myself. Once to get it mounted, plumbed, you can see what you have room for fan wise.

Also, don't forget with an aftermarket radiator, you will need to get an external transmission cooler.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008 - 04:23:11 PM by GoodysGotaCuda »
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
« Reply #146 on: December 23, 2008 - 04:23:16 PM »
Tony,

Any help is greatly appreciated.   :2thumbs:

No problem, sorry it didn't work for you.  I ended up not using it for similar reasons, my engine fan just didn't line up with the shroud.  I went with an electric fan and have been happy ever since.

Offline RDF

« Reply #147 on: December 24, 2008 - 01:37:01 PM »
Get a big 26 inch rad off of a big car. Make sure it is a 3 core radiator. The shroud should fit fine and it should do a great job of cooling your car. I see no reason for getting a big dollar aluminum. If a stock radiator will not cool it then you have other problems. Sorry you are having trouble finding the solution to your cooling problem.

Ok, I would go with a 26" rad. if I could find one cheap enough.....anyone got one?  :dunno:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

My build:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #148 on: December 24, 2008 - 04:09:57 PM »
repops are available new through Spectra Industries

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline RaptorF229

• A work in Progress
« Reply #149 on: December 24, 2008 - 11:45:53 PM »
I have a whole electric fan setup  that I just took off my car. If you're interested in it PM me.