Author Topic: Overheating Issue  (Read 30411 times)

Offline aarlucas

Re: Overheating Issue
« Reply #150 on: December 29, 2008 - 08:47:19 PM »
Get a big 26 inch rad off of a big car. Make sure it is a 3 core radiator. The shroud should fit fine and it should do a great job of cooling your car. I see no reason for getting a big dollar aluminum. If a stock radiator will not cool it then you have other problems. Sorry you are having trouble finding the solution to your cooling problem.

I haven't followed this thread all the way through.  But, depending on the circumstances, this could be a misleading comment.

You can have a complete new cooling system, with a 26" rad, and it will still run hot (215-220) or warm should I say.  This is the situation I am in right now.  My problem isn't really a problem persay.  I have everything you stated and it is all new.  But, my horsepower has exceeded the cooling ability of the factory stuff.  I suppose that isn't a bad problem to have!

Bob, could this be your problem with the 22" rad?  What heads do you have, steel or aluminum?
1970 'cuda440-6, 11.40 @ 122 with full 2.5" exhaust system, 3.91 gears @ 3800lbs
1970 Goins and Goins AA/FC, blown 426 hemi 2 spd lenco (under restoration)
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW DSL 6 spd
2007 Chrysler 300 SRT8

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #151 on: December 29, 2008 - 08:55:43 PM »
I know one thing that might cause a overheating issue that cannot be solved is too tight of piston to cylinder wall clearance. The only thng that can be done in this situation is a complete teardown and re-machine. I only offered my opinion because it was true in my case. My car would do exactly what his is doing. Decent on the move but just a steady slow rise in traffic or stopped and I already had a 26 inch rad. The shroud made all the difference in the world in my own situation. A lot of advice might be misleading in this thread.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline aarlucas

« Reply #152 on: December 29, 2008 - 09:06:31 PM »
I know one thing that might cause a overheating issue that cannot be solved is too tight of piston to cylinder wall clearance. The only thng that can be done in this situation is a complete teardown and re-machine. I only offered my opinion because it was true in my case. My car would do exactly what his is doing. Decent on the move but just a steady slow rise in traffic or stopped and I already had a 26 inch rad. The shroud made all the difference in the world in my own situation. A lot of advice might be misleading in this thread.

Yep, to tight of piston to cylinder clearances could and would definetly cause the car to overheat.  Hopefully your case was one of the rare ones.  Was the engine hard to turn over by hand when cold?  How about hot?  Without good measurement records from your build, this problem could have been a difficult one to find if the engine turned over fine.
1970 'cuda440-6, 11.40 @ 122 with full 2.5" exhaust system, 3.91 gears @ 3800lbs
1970 Goins and Goins AA/FC, blown 426 hemi 2 spd lenco (under restoration)
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW DSL 6 spd
2007 Chrysler 300 SRT8

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #153 on: December 29, 2008 - 09:10:16 PM »
Wasnt my engine. One of the reasons I make sure the machinist and I are on the same page is that story. Has to be a nightmare to have no idea what is causing your engine to overheat.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
« Reply #154 on: December 29, 2008 - 11:28:24 PM »
I haven't followed this thread all the way through.  But, depending on the circumstances, this could be a misleading comment.

You can have a complete new cooling system, with a 26" rad, and it will still run hot (215-220) or warm should I say.  This is the situation I am in right now.  My problem isn't really a problem persay.  I have everything you stated and it is all new.  But, my horsepower has exceeded the cooling ability of the factory stuff.  I suppose that isn't a bad problem to have!

Bob, could this be your problem with the 22" rad?  What heads do you have, steel or aluminum?

Steel.....it's not a HP out doing the radiator either, I don't believe.....seeing as how I dyno'ed it about 2 years ago and got a whopping 214hp at the rear wheels..... :woohoo:     :roflsmiley:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0