Author Topic: Science class - removing chrome  (Read 997 times)

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
Science class - removing chrome
« on: November 10, 2008 - 10:29:16 PM »
Hey guys, back in science class tonight!  Haha.  I looked up on the internet the other day how to remove chrome by yourself.  I found on a couple of sites that using Hydrocholic (Muratic) Acid, along with an electric current, removes chrome.  So, of course I tried it!  I put 3 gallons of water in a 5 gallon plastic pail.  I then put 1 cup of acid in the pail.  (Always put acid into water, NOT the other way around!)  I then put four copper wire probes hanging over the edge.  I hooked up the negative from the battery charger to those probes.  I then hung a rod across the pail, and hung my chrome piece from it.  The positive connects to that.  At first I tried it on 6 volts.  Thats when, after a minute or so, that yellowish film came off.  I have no idea what that came from.  After a few minutes I could see it was working.  The close ups, where it looks pitted, is after about a half an hour.  I dont really know the total time it took, it will depend on amperage and size of the piece, concentration of acid, etc.  I would guess about 2.5 hours for this piece on a 12 volt 10 amp charge.  Here's the crazy thing.  I ran it for a while one day, and decided to turn it off at night.  But I did leave the piece in there.  I ran it the next day, it only took about 30 minutes to finish it off.  But the acid, I'm guessing overnight, ate away quite a bit of the metal.  Not a big deal, luckily it was a decently thick piece to begin with.  Turned out pretty good, and I'll definitely try it again, but will keep a closer eye on it, and do it all at one time. 

Warning, do this in a well ventilated area! 

Hope this helps somebody save a few bucks.  Also, I've read that this does not work on potmetal.  It actaully really messes it up I guess, so only do this on steel. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008 - 11:22:34 AM by 71bigblock »

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: Science class
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008 - 10:32:09 PM »

excellent :2thumbs:

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008 - 10:33:54 PM »
Muriatic acid will eat some metals completely without electricity.  :2cents:

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008 - 03:01:55 AM »
Did you dispose of the solution after you finished?  If so, where?  Is it safe/legal to pour down a drain?
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008 - 03:07:27 AM »

Did you dispose of the solution after you finished?  If so, where?  Is it safe/legal to pour down a drain?
  Not unless you want the EPA on your back..   :money:
Dave

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008 - 11:22:16 AM »

I have not disposed of it yet.  When I do, I think I'm just going to nuetralize/water it down.  I'm not sure how you're legally supposed to get rid of muriatic acid, but I suppose its the same.   :dunno: