Author Topic: car covers  (Read 1664 times)

Offline leanburn

car covers
« on: November 12, 2008 - 05:06:04 PM »
i'm getting some work done to my car this winter by a guy who lives 400 miles away. the problem i have is the storage he had lined up has fell through and i recently sold my enclosed trailer. if i want this guy to work on my car my only option is to store it outside in the snow wich i am haveing a hard time swallowing. is there exceptionally good covers out there, something that won't flap in the wind and wraps underneath a few inches?

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: car covers
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008 - 05:57:12 PM »
This is my recommendation...

http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=1895&cid=

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008 - 06:14:13 PM »
They have a bunch of pop up style tents that will keep the elements off the car as well. does the guy have the room for one of those? Or even one of those bubbles that ou can store a car in?
Just an example. Not recommending this specific site.
http://www.carcapsule.com/

Offline leanburn

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008 - 07:01:54 PM »
i thought about one of those dome style tent's but i'm concerned they would colapse from snow. the area the car will be in can get easily up to 3ft of snow.

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008 - 10:07:16 PM »
Then there's no way I would allow my car to sit under 3ft of snow with just a car cover on it. You call...

Offline troutstreamnm

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008 - 09:40:35 AM »
I own a couple California Car Covers (Noah weave) and they are very nice covers...however...I would not recommend them for extended outdoor/extreme weather use.  With enough moisture they will saturate and then hold the water until conditions allow it to dry.  Also, even though these have very soft liners, they can still scuff your clearcoat if the cover is not securely clamped down on the car and wind can move the liner around (trust me it happened to my Charger).  I ended up using 8 clamps to hold the cover tightly to the car to prevent wind scuffing and then that make it harder for the cover to breath properly to dry out.  They are best for short-term outdoor use or indoors for dust and ding protection.  :2cents:
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008 - 09:55:25 AM »
I bought a very cheap one from Harbor Freight just to keep the dust off the car, since part of it is painted now,  while I am working on other parts.  I smells so God aweful bad, that I am going to have to take it to the laundry mat and wash it, if I can.  My wife said there is no way I am putting it in her washing machine.

When the car is done, I am going to buy a California Car Cover for it.  My father in-law has one on his Corvette, and it is very nice.
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008 - 11:13:53 AM »
Maybe save you some money with this tip. I had to find a way of washing mine as well. I put it over my everyday cat and washed to cover while it was on the car. The car kept it in shape so it didn't bunch up like on the ground. And if its sunny out you can just leave it on the car until it dries out. Some mild laundry detergent and one of those soft bristle brushes they use to wash the boats with works well.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008 - 01:30:44 PM »
I just bought one of these today.
While it may not be a high end, expensive car cover, it does serve the purpose of keeping the car dry. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Plymouth-Barracuda-1973-1974-Car-Cover_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ50456QQihZ012QQitemZ220313598310QQtcZphoto
Mike, Fremont, CA.