Author Topic: Do i really need Torque boxes and Car frame connectors?  (Read 8154 times)

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Do i really need Torque boxes and Car frame connectors?
« on: November 13, 2008 - 09:01:54 PM »
Do i really need these. I do not plan on racing, it will be a driver. I am just trying to save a little on things that i may not really need. My want list is huge, so i may have to compromise on a few things. I will put these on if you guys feel strongly about them. :clueless:

Offline e-tek

• My website: http://edanneberg.googlepages.com/home
    • E-Tek Resto's
Re: Do i really need Torque boxes and Car frame connectors?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008 - 09:19:07 PM »
Are the original torques rusted?
You don't need frame connectors unless you're upping the power - but then maybe I'm not sure what it is you're asking!

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008 - 10:04:32 PM »
I'd vote for yes, you need them. The reason being that after 40 years, a lot of things in our cars are not as tight as they used to be. Connecting everything together to firm up the uni-body is not just a performance option, but will help eliminate creaks and groans and rattles. It allows the suspension to better work the way it is intended. Finally, if your dropping some big coin on body and paint, it will keep panels and gaps consistent and straight.

Here is a test for you; put a floor jack under one of the lower control arms. Pump it up until the tire is a few inches off the ground. Then open one of your doors and then close it again. Does it open and close the same way as when the car is sitting on all four tires? Torque boxes and/or sub frame connectors eliminate this binding creating a more solid platform for everything else in the entire car.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008 - 07:12:24 AM by HP2 »

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008 - 10:09:23 PM »

HP2 = Legend.  :worshippy
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Tower Rat 95B

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008 - 10:13:14 PM »
 I say no you don't need them,,,,,,,,,,,because my JS23VOB which is supposed to have them but does not and believe me this car was hammered hard back in the day and the doors still close and the body is still straight.....

those rear torque boxes do add an extra level of coolness , cause they do show a bit when your eyes catch the car at the right level ya can see the box  :bigshades:.........

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008 - 10:31:08 PM »
If you are looking for good handling I would say yes. I plan doing torque boxes and subframe connectors and my car originally had neither.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008 - 04:05:25 AM »
my car has small cracks in the 1/4 at the rear of the 1/4 window , that has to be body flex

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Tower Rat 95B

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008 - 04:56:46 AM »
my car has small cracks in the 1/4 at the rear of the 1/4 window , that has to be body flex

I have those same cracks about 1/2 inch or less, but still dout that is related to a lack of torque boxes, just flex you would get it even with the boxes imop especialy when your hammering the car hard.   The rear TB's  just give added strength the to the forward  leaf spring mounts, the forward TB's imop add minimal stiffness to the body at best ,to really tighten up the body it takes frame connectors and a roll cage, body flex is just the way it is when your dumping the the clutch at high RPM's,,,,,,,,,,,  just my input, but what do I know  :dunno: :clueless:.......

Torque Boxes are cool  :cooldancing:,  just another way that Ma Mopar was saying this car was made to rock  :cooldancing:, but there not nessasary,  plenty of Mopars get it  :burnout: at the track and many do not have TB's ,,,,,,,,,,  I am going to put them on my car some day but is all about cool and a little extra strength nothing else.........

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008 - 05:18:27 AM »

Another 1 for them. They certainly don't hurt and definitely offer support. Madeline has them ready to go along with XVs chassis stiffening kit, she needs it but even if she were stock I would do it. Lucy is a U code car and came with them.

:2cents: :thumbsup:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Mike70

• Future Challenger Pilot
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008 - 09:59:47 AM »
Can someone post a pic of torque boxes? I know what frame connectors are, but with the torque boxes I am lost.

Just showing my ignorance. :clueless:

Thanks, Mike
Mike
70 Challenger RT/SE
(If I ever get it done - wait, I guess I have to start first).

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008 - 10:41:46 AM »

NIKKI'S got cracks too!! And she's a driver not a race car. Sub connecters are in her future!!  :2thumbs:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline 70RAG383

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008 - 11:31:48 AM »
I'm a firm believer in the torque boxes and frame connectors. 

Here's pics of 1) the front torque boxes which are standard on all ebodies and 2) the rear torque boxes which come standard on convertibles, hemi and 440-6 cars.  For front and rear the torque boxes tie the frame rails into the side rockers.  The torque boxes are important but I think the frame connectors help to add the most rigidity to the unibody.

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008 - 11:33:01 AM »
Holy Crap, thats why it cracked there......  :faint:

Well, add another item to the needed list.  :walkaway:  :money:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008 - 06:53:18 AM by wally426ci »
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008 - 03:19:03 PM »

Actually, I'd say torque boxes add more support than sub frame connectors. Reason being that the torque boxes tie all the subframe structure into the rocker panel, which is a very large, boxed structure that runs the length of the passenger compartment. This creates a very rigid perimeter frame that ties together all the main structural components of the uni-body, unlike a sub-frame connector that supports only the sheetmetal structure of the floor pan to the front and rear frame rails. In a number of my race cars we bypassed traditional sub frame connectors altogether and have gone with a X brace diagonally tying together the torque boxes under the floor pan.

Together, however, they are a unbeatable combination.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008 - 03:40:36 PM »

Even when my car was a 318 it had flex cracks at the quarter panel sail area.
Mike, Fremont, CA.