Author Topic: 71 cuda build - sema project  (Read 19149 times)

Offline tyler

Re: 71 cuda build - sema project
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2008 - 12:32:08 AM »
and it helps to attach the pictures!  lol

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2008 - 09:03:24 AM »
Tyler, there is no filler between the bottom of the grille and top of the bumper, the bottom of the grille has it built in or atleast it somewhat resembles the filler,

great progress BTW!

Stefan
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline tyler

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2008 - 10:25:31 AM »
Thanks!  tha'ts good to know!  so just to be sure, since i didnt take the car apart...it is just the grill, bumper, and valance?

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2008 - 12:23:48 PM »
yes
*** Bart ***

Offline tyler

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2008 - 10:00:03 AM »
quick update, although there isnt much new! 

Offline Bruning Auto Design

« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2008 - 02:15:23 PM »
Looks good.  Are you going to run 1st gen or 2nd gen Camaro hinges?  Fesler came out with Charger hinges which are very similar to an ebody hinge (vertical hood attachment). 

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2008 - 04:19:43 PM »
Fesler came out with Charger hinges which are very similar to an ebody hinge (vertical hood attachment). 

Fesler shmesler... you guys should be making and selling your BAD custom billet hinges with the equipment and skills you guys have, put me down for a set  :stirpot:

Stefan
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2008 - 04:59:13 PM »
Fesler shmesler... you guys should be making and selling your BAD custom billet hinges with the equipment and skills you guys have, put me down for a set  :stirpot:

Stefan

:)

Offline tyler

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2008 - 12:58:44 AM »
actually i know mike ring pretty descent, so im using their hinges...but im going to use the 2nd gen ones since the hood is similar going all the way up to the windshield.  Im not sure how well it's going to work out, but the plan im thinking of is to have the hinge behind those panels, and just have an opening on the top of them for the hing to come out.  I have no idea if it's actually going to work yet though, i really havent looked much into it yet, but hopefully within the next couple days ill know!  My only concern is that everything is too basic and plain and boring  haha   where the top of the firewall and cowl is welded together has been bugging me since before i even did it because it's just a square corner without and kind of radius to it...what do you think about that?  (i dont have a pullmax or anything similar to do something like that and make it look good)

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2008 - 02:40:25 AM »
actually i know mike ring pretty descent, so im using their hinges...but im going to use the 2nd gen ones since the hood is similar going all the way up to the windshield.  Im not sure how well it's going to work out, but the plan im thinking of is to have the hinge behind those panels, and just have an opening on the top of them for the hing to come out.  I have no idea if it's actually going to work yet though, i really havent looked much into it yet, but hopefully within the next couple days ill know!  My only concern is that everything is too basic and plain and boring  haha   where the top of the firewall and cowl is welded together has been bugging me since before i even did it because it's just a square corner without and kind of radius to it...what do you think about that?  (i dont have a pullmax or anything similar to do something like that and make it look good)

Good choice on the hinges (we talked to Mike and Jim as well about 2nd gen hinges, but will have to go a different route - low ride height/tire clearance issue). 

A little radius would be nice, but the cowl/firewall doesn't look out of place either.  Plenty of other areas to get wrapped up in the little details. 

Firewall is pretty square at the cowl,

I"m sure you've seen this car in person, but that firewall would look good with a square or radiused edge.  :)

Offline tyler

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2008 - 12:56:19 AM »
i sure have seen that,,,might have to help with body work on it as a matter of fact  lol.  I borrowed a set of 2nd gen ring brothers hinges for another car today, and not going to work!  they need way too much room, and there would have to be a huge pocket in the firewall for them, so on to plan b...once i figure it out!  If the hinges cant be behind those panels, thats no big deal, im totally ok with having everything exposed...because after all, the car does need hood hinges, so to me its not a big deal if everyting isnt covered up, just want to make it look nice!  What car is that in the first picture?  it looks really good.  thanks for the help...it helps a lot!

« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2008 - 01:08:49 AM »
Novanutcase - Ironworks full tube chassis chevy II build.  It is sick!

We have a 70 Barracuda that we're going through the hinge dilemma on.  The 2nd gen Camaro hinge looks like it is very similar (minus the mounting flange).  A ~70 Chevelle hinge also looks like it could work.  I heard that XV had e-body hinges in the works.  I wonder who's making them.

Offline tyler

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2008 - 01:15:42 AM »
my other idea, what to make a hinge that works different than the stock style...one that swing off of a fixed pivot point, so basically like a trunk hinge, and use gas shocks like the ring brothers hinges to hold the hood up.  It would take some work to make that right...but i'm tossing that thought around some.  the only crappy part is that the cowl area is completely closed off, which is where id have to access to make that work.  I havent even seen a stock hinge up close yet  lol, but since nothing else is stock, im not so concerned about going back to that...and im not the biggest fan of those ugly hinges, and the big bulky springs.  we'll see though!  i need to figure something out fairly soon though!  I do know that the ride height is not going up...haha  do you know what the heigh of the roof line is on the challenger ur doing? they seem to sit low...this one is about 49 or 50"

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2008 - 01:43:07 AM »
I will have to measure to be sure.  The front tire will hit the stock hinge (about an inch away).  The fender flanges have to be modified as well. 

ride height (coil overs, no air ride)

2nd to last photo from the bottom kind of shows how close the tire is to the fenders and hinge
http://www.bruningautodesign.com/gallery.html?g2_itemId=1834

Offline tyler

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2008 - 11:42:43 PM »
i think thats a little lower than the cuda im doing,,,but at least both are stationary,,,no air ride b.s.!  haha  there's a ton of work in that car...i cant wait to see it done!  i love the stretched wheel base too...thom taylor wanted me to do that, but i chickened out   lol