Author Topic: 71 cuda build - sema project  (Read 19148 times)

Offline Bruning Auto Design

Re: 71 cuda build - sema project
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2008 - 01:20:58 AM »
i think thats a little lower than the cuda im doing,,,but at least both are stationary,,,no air ride b.s.!  haha  there's a ton of work in that car...i cant wait to see it done!  i love the stretched wheel base too...thom taylor wanted me to do that, but i chickened out   lol

Cuda's don't have the "over bite" like a Challenger,  Foose' said they moved the wheel openings forward 3"...  We settled on 2" (and 1" up) as 3" didn't look right.

I forgot to get an overall measurement today.  It's low, but the chassis design still gives us 5" ground clearance at the lowest point (bottom of rockers).

Looking forward to seeing what tricks you have up your sleeve.  Have you seen pictures of the King Kong Cuda?

(sorry for cluttering up your build thread btw...)

Who's doing your interior?  Tracy Weaver?

Offline tyler

« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2008 - 02:28:30 AM »
****,,,5" of clearance,,,im jealous!  that damn hemi we are using is so huge,,,i have about 3/4" of clearance between the valve covers to the shock towers...and height wise...it's way too close, i have the motor as low as i could get it, its solid mounts, and hopefully ill be able to get the oil pan above the kmember...which is magnum force, and with the motor any higher, it was close getting the valve covers to even clear the hood, and id like a flat hood.  I have around 3" of ground clearance...so im thinking after the first couple shows, and the "non-driving" part of its life is over, the ride height might need to come up.  I dont have too many tricks...my biggest goal is to just build a car thats highly detailed, great body work, and everything just really nice and clean.  This is my first project that is this involved, so i don't want to get way too far over my head either. Yes tracy is doing the interior,,,as of now the plan is around the beginning of august to haul it out by him.  whos doing yours?    who's building that cuda?  looks bad ass! 

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2008 - 08:50:08 AM »
Okay - You guys BOTH clearly have some MAD SKILLS!!!!  Your work is truly art!!  Thanks for sharing and keep those pics coming :crazy: :jumping: :swaying:
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2008 - 09:44:02 AM »
No words can describe your work!!! One that comes to mind is friggin AWESOME!!
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2008 - 12:46:35 PM »
Absolutely Incredible.  Thanks for all the pics and info. 
Sure does spark my imagination as to what I could do to my own. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline tyler

« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2008 - 01:16:11 AM »
Here is a little update of what i got done today.  Im working on making braces for the shock towers, since all the factory stuff disappeared   lol 

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2008 - 02:21:20 AM »
Very ingenious idea for a fender/tower brace :ylsuper: i like it. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline vryfast

• WORK IN PROGRESS
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2008 - 08:54:57 AM »
Looking good :wow:

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2008 - 09:05:03 AM »
Is this all stainless or are ou using a magic welder?  :roflsmiley: even the un-grinded welds look awesome  :drool: great job!
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline tyler

« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2008 - 10:35:55 AM »
Thanks, it's just a tig welder.  almost all of the tack welds on the outside corner are just fusion tacked, so there is not fill rod, just the metal melted together.  It's just mild steel!

Offline tyler

« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2008 - 11:40:06 PM »
just a couple pictures of the finished brace.  it will be tacked in tomorrow, and start making the front section of it

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2008 - 11:53:48 PM »
 :wow:
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2008 - 11:55:21 PM »
Cuda's don't have the "over bite" like a Challenger,  Foose' said they moved the wheel openings forward 3"...  We settled on 2" (and 1" up) as 3" didn't look right.

I forgot to get an overall measurement today.  It's low, but the chassis design still gives us 5" ground clearance at the lowest point (bottom of rockers).

Looking forward to seeing what tricks you have up your sleeve.  Have you seen pictures of the King Kong Cuda?

(sorry for cluttering up your build thread btw...)

Who's doing your interior?  Tracy Weaver?

those 20''s look huge under there, wonder how some 22"x12" with  325 rubber would look with same stance, what you guys think?

I hope it wasn't Tracy Weaver who did the interior in the Razor Camaro
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline Bruning Auto Design

« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2008 - 12:03:26 AM »
those 20''s look huge under there, wonder how some 22"x12" with  325 rubber would look with same stance, what you guys think?

I hope it wasn't Tracy Weaver who did the interior in the Razor Camaro

22's are a bitt too much IMO.  The size bias front to rear needs to be some what proportional.

Tracy did the interior on Troy's Nova.  The interior on the Razor Camaro is also very well done.  The fasteners fit the theme of the car, even though some may not like the look. 

Tyler- to answer your question about remote oil filter distance - the hose/tubing size and bends/turns are the limiting factor.  According to Pure Power, oil does not like to make sharp turns, so a smooth transition with the least amount of restrictions is ideal.

Offline tyler

« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2008 - 12:12:49 AM »
ok, there arent really a whole lot of options with where to put the filter anyway, im just not very up on mechanical stuff!  Thanks tho.  Do you have any sources for oil pans?  the motor has a milodon on it now,,,its a piece of junk, one of the welds is leaking on it, and it's way too deep anyway.     As far as the 22's, I agree, they are too big for cudas.."sick fish"  the 70 cuda troy built had 19 and 22's...this body style doesnt need a 22 i dont think.  And i agree, that camaro interior is very well done, i forget the name of the guy that did it.  i know there are some people that aren't a fan of it, but if you take some time to look at it and start to really dig into the details and everything, it's very nice.