Author Topic: Seat cover problems and door panel help still needed!  (Read 880 times)

Offline e-tek

• My website: http://edanneberg.googlepages.com/home
    • E-Tek Resto's
Seat cover problems and door panel help still needed!
« on: November 16, 2008 - 09:46:39 AM »
Hi guys, sry for the second tread, but I want to get a little more specific...

1. Have any of you had problems with missing pulls on LEgendary front covers (Challnger/Cuda)?? They (PUI - through YO) sent me a SECOND set and they too are missing the top pulls!!! Argggh. I'm not going to pay a shop to redo them when they should come right!

Secondly - the plastic door panels - are they ABS? I haven't done the burn-test yet. What glue - if any - works for cracks? Have you tried repairing these? I saw a thread on the jap-car forum about heating wires trough plastic to repair.... Also, the texture - I saw a good thread on repairing by making a negative mold w/ hot glue, put for larger areas - anyone used texture of any kind? (rock guard??)

Thanks again, appreciate the help!

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
Re: Seat cover problems and door panel help still needed!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008 - 09:55:16 AM »
My Legendary covers were great.  You are the 4th or 5th person in the last couple months to have problems with the PUI covers, so I would ditch them.  Be thankful they were missing the pulls, because if they had them and you tried t install them, you would be very disappointed.  They should just drop the I and call themselves PU.  As for the door panels, there really is nothing you can do for the cracks unless you send them out.  I have tried glues and a hot knife to "stitch" it back together, but inevitably it just cracks, again.  You could try Just Dashes, but they are a bit pricey and the grain they put on does not match.  I'm just holding off until someone comes out with a better repro panel than what is currently available.

Offline e-tek

• My website: http://edanneberg.googlepages.com/home
    • E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009 - 09:32:40 PM »
Update - 73 Chally was oh so right. After 3! sets of covers, I finally had YO credit me the entire amount and ordered Legendary. thye came this week and WOW - what a difference! The material, color, stitching - everything - completely different. I'll be installing this weekend and will post up the differences then.

Offline somedaysoon

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009 - 09:34:53 AM »
 I think 73chally is talking about glue on the original panel. On the repros you should be able to glue with just about anything they are abs. If the cracks are from stress then they will probably return unless you address the stress problem. I glued mine in 2 spots. One worked and one didn't but where it didn't is where I stressed it again. I was following your other post about the panels, I take it the sanding,texture and paint on the originals didn't work out. I was hoping it would, I would really like to eventually repair my originals. You know maybe as a suggestion you could call Palco and ask them for repair advice, they're located in Reno, Nv. I've met the owner and toured his facility, he's a nice guy and a mopar guy to boot.  Pete

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009 - 02:37:15 PM »
I think 73chally is talking about glue on the original panel. On the repros you should be able to glue with just about anything they are abs. If the cracks are from stress then they will probably return unless you address the stress problem. I glued mine in 2 spots. One worked and one didn't but where it didn't is where I stressed it again. I was following your other post about the panels, I take it the sanding,texture and paint on the originals didn't work out. I was hoping it would, I would really like to eventually repair my originals. You know maybe as a suggestion you could call Palco and ask them for repair advice, they're located in Reno, Nv. I've met the owner and toured his facility, he's a nice guy and a mopar guy to boot.  Pete
You are correct about the original panels.  Both of mine have the usual crack at the top front corner, about 2 inches long.  I tried stitching them together using a hot knife, but they both split again the same day I put them back on the doors.