Author Topic: What 300c Parts are useful for a 74 'Cuda  (Read 752 times)

Offline jmac

What 300c Parts are useful for a 74 'Cuda
« on: November 17, 2008 - 09:40:06 PM »
Ok this is a pretty general question (perhaps even a noob question), wasn't sure where exactly to put it. Or if I should break it down into a number of different topics  :P

I have the chance to pick up a smashed Hemi 300c that has most (if not all) the mechanical parts intact.

What I am wondering is what parts will fit on my 74 or what would be worth putting on that has little modification?

The only thing that I am definetly going to get out of the car so far is the motor and trans (and electrical - I want it to be fuel injected).

If anyone can give me some info or links to sites with more info that would be great, I'm just not coming up with much on my own.
1974 Barracuda

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: What 300c Parts are useful for a 74 'Cuda
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008 - 09:48:52 PM »
The 5.7 will bolt up to a 727 with a new flexplate from Mopar, the tranny is huge and would require massive tunnel modification and probably a new torsion bar cross member. The wiring will work, but I think you will need a new computer or maybe you could have that one flashed.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline jmac

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008 - 06:41:41 PM »
Thanks 72 for the reply.

I have read about the 727 mating up and I have access to one if the 300c is out of the question, but if the 300c has a superior trans I wouldn't be against doing a bit of surgery as the car isn't original by any means. Is the rear end useable or even decent in the 300? Or is it better to just use the older style 8 3/4 or something of that nature?

I have also read about the computer, I believe the Mopar Performance one is a AEM unit with a Mopar sticker. That's what I would be looking at, I have seen AEM in action on Turbo Honda's, MR2's and such and they are very nice, can do almost anything you want with them. I also have a Wideband 02 sensor to tweak the tune if need be.

Has anyone tried any other parts from the 300? Brakes? Suspension? Or does nothing even come close to fitting?
1974 Barracuda

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008 - 07:00:39 PM »
The rear suspension is independent (I believe), so making that work is a huge undertaking. As for the modification to the transmission tunnel it's more than just a little surgery to make it fit. I'm sure that you can adapt the brakes to fit, the rest of the front suspension probably not worth the effort. If you decide that you still want to make the 300 tranny fit, I don't believe you will have to replace the computer.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe