Author Topic: How to make an AAR Clone?  (Read 10735 times)

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
Re: How to make an AAR Clone?
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2009 - 08:55:43 PM »
Not all 4-speeds. 

Not so sure about the painted mirrors either.

Definitely agree with the rest though!   :2thumbs:
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline Sean

• My Cuda Restore
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2009 - 03:14:40 PM »
Thanks for the info on the other items!  I'll check out Mancini for the torque boxes.

:cheers:
Sean

Offline 71ChallengerSE

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2009 - 05:58:33 PM »
They didn't have wheel well trim and I'm pretty sure that none had chrome mirrors because they were performance cars. Not all of them had rallye gauges and they didn't all have rallye wheels.

Offline cwestra

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2009 - 06:34:27 PM »
They didn't have wheel well trim and I'm pretty sure that none had chrome mirrors because they were performance cars. Not all of them had rallye gauges and they didn't all have rallye wheels.
I know I've seen them with wheel opening trim.  Are you saying none were built with this option?
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline 71ChallengerSE

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2009 - 10:10:39 PM »
I know I've seen them with wheel opening trim.  Are you saying none were built with this option?

I don't think you could order any T/A or AAR with an extra trim package except the drip rail mouldings and the vinyl top trim (for when the top was ordered).

Offline Sean

• My Cuda Restore
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2009 - 10:11:32 PM »
At one time, I recall seeing a book that was supposed to list the options available on 65-74 Barracudas.  Anyone know the title of this book and how accurate it is?

Thanks!
Sean

Offline Sean

• My Cuda Restore
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2009 - 11:47:38 AM »
Flipping through the YearOne catalog last night, I found an AAR Technical Service Bulletin.  It's supposed to cover all specifications unique to the model.  There was one for the T/A Chally too. 

Has anyone flipped through these and are they worth the $13.20 + shipping?

Sean

Offline cwestra

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2009 - 02:56:20 PM »
I don't think you could order any T/A or AAR with an extra trim package except the drip rail mouldings and the vinyl top trim (for when the top was ordered).
That would some sense since with the rolled front fender lip I'm not sure how they would have dealt with that with a wheel opening molding option.  I'd still like to know for sure on that one.  Anyone have an AAR or T/A with that option?
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline SBDave

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2012 - 07:15:09 PM »
I know this is an old thread but it's already got some useful information in it.

I am also considering cloning my 1973 into a 1970.  Are the bumpers the same except for the bumperettes? 

Also can anyone recommend which reproduction parts such as the hood, grill, tail panel are the best in terms of quality and fitment?

Thank you,
David

Offline Sleepychallenger

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2012 - 07:25:24 PM »
Sean,
How is the project coming along

Drew

Offline challengermaniac

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2012 - 12:22:40 AM »
I know this is an old thread but it's already got some useful information in it.

I am also considering cloning my 1973 into a 1970.  Are the bumpers the same except for the bumperettes? 

Also can anyone recommend which reproduction parts such as the hood, grill, tail panel are the best in terms of quality and fitment?

Thank you,
David

David,

I encourage you to do a complete project list of parts and outside labor and estimate the cost (X 125%) as I cloned a plain 70 Challenger into a T/A and then lost interest in it and took a $9k bath in the process/sell!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012 - 12:19:34 PM by challengermaniac »
Charlie
70 Challenger 340/4 Purple
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline SBDave

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2012 - 01:16:53 PM »
Charlie,
I plan on doing that.  I'm not going for a 100% authentic clone, just an overall of the exterior parts.  For example, the side markers are already shaved on my 73, so I'm not going to go replacing quarter panels or fenders to get the correct indicators.  I'm also not planning on replacing the rear valence to get rid of the exhaust cut outs.  I understand people don't like it when cars get mixed years going together and bastardized, but my car has already had some incorrect mods done and it's a 318ci/904TF  73...so a #'s matching restored model wouldn't be worth much anyways.

In fact one of the reason's I'm looking at doing this is because there is such a lack of reproduction support for the 72-74 specific parts.  My 73 needs a new grill and it is damn near impossible to find one.  So I was thinking if I clone a 1970 that could help in future repairs.  I drive my car quite a bit since I'm in California and the weather is generally good year round, so I anticipate things will get normal wear and tear over time.

thanks!
Dave 

Offline challengermaniac

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2012 - 12:52:05 AM »
Sounds good Dave.  Be sure to research on here the steps necessary to put a 70 grille on a 73------- there is some work and % to be spent doing it.  Check it out.

If you need the complete T/A Stencil Set, check my post in the for sale section as I have one set for $50 plus shipping.
Charlie
70 Challenger 340/4 Purple
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline SBDave

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2012 - 08:00:49 PM »
If anyone has good guidelines or can post a link to a good AAR Clone build that would be great.  Whatever I decide to do, I'll be working with a shop that has worked on real AAR's in the past so I'll have some help.

I've been looking around at how folks customize their cudas and all the mismatch combinations are kinda interesting.  Like people who take a 72-74 and just black out the hood/tops of fenders and add a rear spoiler and strobe sticker to the side.  I'm sure purists hate that, but hey, do what you want.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Sean

• My Cuda Restore
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2012 - 10:19:53 AM »
Sean,
How is the project coming along

Drew

Hey Drew! 
How are ya?  No progress in the last 7 months or so - was in Afghanistan.  Now that I'm back, I'm going to be taking the car over to a buddies house to do the body work.

Dave,
You can check out my blog (www.mopars.com/blog2) which chronicals by build.  I'm no where close to being done, but you can check out what I've done so far.

Sean

Sean