Author Topic: White interior  (Read 3835 times)

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: White interior
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008 - 09:54:08 PM »
Just Dashes does great work, however you can tell that they are covered in vinyl and they can be spotted a long ways off just like the repop panels. If I was building a custom car like a G-machine or something I would have the door panels covered by Just Dashes, because they do give you a nice custom look, but they won't work for a stock restoration.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline hemidude426ci

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008 - 11:34:17 PM »
Other question, how authentic will it look if I use the recommended system of dying my panels?
1970 FC7 440-6 'Cuda 4spd  Track Pack N96

Gone:
1970 Challenger R/T 440 6pack 4 spd N96
1970 Superbee 440 6pack 4 spd
1967 Shelby GT350

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008 - 11:45:00 PM »
As long as the panels are in good condition  to begin with and you follow the proper process they should look great and authentic, because they are original panels. You just have to becareful with scratching them because black scratch marks will stick out like a sore thumb. I am going to redye my panels next weekend because the yellow is showing through the black where it has been scratched. Now the last time they were dyed was I think more than 6 years ago. For me and my car being a really nice driver redyeing once every 6 years or so is acceptable for me. However my 70 Challenger when I restore it, I will be installing a set of excellent originals because it will be a high end show car. Also I have never dyed black panels white before so I don't know how difficult it will be to dye.

Offline gomangoRT/SE

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2008 - 08:54:09 AM »
PPG makes a paint with that they made a demonstration for to the local body shops.  They can match the color you need, and it has a flex agent.  It has to sprayed with a gun.  This paint offers superior coverage and has more solids to it than SEMS.  For door panels it is exceptional to that of SEMS in every way.   Most people use SEMS because you can spray bomb it on.   Now spray bombs (SEMS) is fine if your not making drastic changes in color.  But whereas SEMS has adhereing defenciences when you scratch it with your nail or other means, this PPG paint they showed us wouldnt come off.    THE PPG people cut door panels up in 8 or more pieces and bent them, folded them as best they could etc, and this stuff didnt come off.    Now as I have a GoMango car I inquired about white interior or burnt orange interior and they have some of the old color codes, and what your local PPG store may not have, you can find on this site.   Barry with Hamtrack made Mopar site has them there also.    As for your seats, dont trust SEMS, or this PPG paint for that application.   Neither works well on vinyl.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008 - 12:45:48 PM »
  As for your seats, dont trust SEMS, or this PPG paint for that application.   Neither works well on vinyl.

:iagree: This is true, spraying seats doesn't work very well due to extreme amount of use, especially if you go from black to white. The best thing to do here is either replace your seats or reupholster them.

Offline FM3V6M

• TX9 383 4spd
    • mytx9cuda
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008 - 04:52:48 PM »
Here is the SEM system, it's a four-step process.  You can look them up online and call their tech line, they will match the correct colors with your application and explain how to apply it.   :thumbsup:

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008 - 04:56:08 PM »
The ones in my car are black and in good shape. Even at that it would seem better to get the repops than dye them going from black to white. I would hate to have to be touching them up all the time from normal wear and tear. I want to be able to rest my arm on them without always wondering if they are going to mar or scratch the color off. Anyone had experience with both the repops and dye?
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008 - 05:50:40 PM »
Where mine have scratched is at the bottom of the door from kicking it and where the door panel and quarter touch. As far as the upper portion from resting my arm, never an issue and I always drive with my arm out the window.

Offline az-nick

• NicksClassicParts
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2008 - 08:00:31 PM »
Dont spray your seat covers, I just sold a car that had a sprayed seatcover (not by me, I bought the car with it done) and with in a year, the paint started to peel off like skin when it is sunburned..... ugly  :puke:

Offline hemidude426ci

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2008 - 08:04:29 PM »
So has anyone used this system to go from black to white? Also Im assuming I could use it on my headliner, as nothing ever touches it, as well as the seat backs?

Gone:
1967 Shelby GT350

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2008 - 08:11:57 PM »
So has anyone used this system to go from black to white? Also Im assuming I could use it on my headliner, as nothing ever touches it, as well as the seat backs?

The seatbacks definitely but I dont think it would look right on the headliner. Might be wrong though.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline VTMopar

• '70 Challenger Convertible, '74 Challenger Rallye,
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2008 - 09:30:11 PM »
I've used the SEM to go from Green to White -- also a burnt orange to White.   As previously mentioned, if you take your time and prep them properly, the dye works very well -- but the bottoms are subject to getting nicked up with your foot (and sometimes the fit where the door closes against the rear panels or door jams.   Otherwise, they are fine (no problems with arms, etc.

I'm very curious about the PPG option, as I am picking up a nice set of black door panels next week that I was going to convert to white (the ones I noted above came out fine - but their original condition was about 7 on a scale of 1 to 10 and the black ones (I'm hoping) will be more like 9.    If all works, I may have a couple of these white ones (redyed) available....

Anyone else had any experienced with the PPG paint? 

Vermont MOPAR
VT MOPAR

Offline hemidude426ci

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2008 - 02:26:35 AM »
Post some pics after you do it, I'd love to see how they come out!

Gone:
1967 Shelby GT350

Offline peterro

• 70 Challenger in progress...
    • The Pistonhead
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2008 - 01:20:06 AM »
Back to the re-pop panels.  I'm very close to sending an order for some new panels (white).  I would be taking advantage of holiday/end of year discounts.  The YO discount is only good Thursday-Friday this week.  The question is, who to go with if there is any difference.  The two companies I was looking at was Year One and Dante's.

I understand the grain isn't correct, but I can only do what I can do.  I have blue panels and don't really want to maintain them and closely watch out for scratches.  They also have speaker holes.

What's the verdict of who is best?  Should I be looking at any others?

Offline somedaysoon

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2008 - 08:18:54 AM »
Back to the re-pop panels.  I'm very close to sending an order for some new panels (white).  I would be taking advantage of holiday/end of year discounts.  The YO discount is only good Thursday-Friday this week.  The question is, who to go with if there is any difference.  The two companies I was looking at was Year One and Dante's.

I understand the grain isn't correct, but I can only do what I can do.  I have blue panels and don't really want to maintain them and closely watch out for scratches.  They also have speaker holes.

What's the verdict of who is best?  Should I be looking at any others?

Palco makes the best and yes be ready for issues and to make them work. As for the grain difference yes they are not the same as originals, but it's your car and I would never knock you for using them. They look new they fit the car. Don't let these better than the rest of us purists, ruin the fun of your build. This is a hobby that we all enjoy and no one way is right. Good luck and enjoy your new panels. Pete