Author Topic: Column shifter linkage and headers????  (Read 869 times)

Offline b570

Column shifter linkage and headers????
« on: November 22, 2008 - 07:51:36 PM »
I was told the I cant have headers with column shifter on my 70 challey.It had a B&M floor shifter in it when I bought it,but Im making it original column shift.It has headers on it(340) but I dont want to go back to manifolds if I dont have to.Is this true?Im a tool maker,so if there is a way to make this work,have you seen it?I havnt tried the linkage I bought off ebay yet.Im still painting it.Thanks!

Offline Supercuda

Re: Column shifter linkage and headers????
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008 - 08:08:11 PM »
Often, what happens is that the tab on the bottom of the column will hit the header primary pipe for at least one cylinder, stopping the transmission from making shifts into the appropriate gears. The rods and bellcrank can also be an issue, as they do take up some space under there. I had serious interference issues with the column shifter linkage in my '67 'Cuda, until I modified the mounting of the shifting components. I have factory B/E HP manifolds with 2 1/4" pipes, and I was having these problems. I would say that for most headers, the basic rule is correct: no column shift with headers.

Offline barryv

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008 - 05:21:06 PM »
i had same problem on my 72 barracuda that hads a 440.theres a company that makes the linkage pieces that will work with column shifter. i just dont remember company

Offline b570

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008 - 10:43:52 PM »
Im trying to put the actual shift lever that gets pinned in the column on.I cant figure out where the little spring goes.Is there an internal picture of how to install a shifter lever anywhere.Ive searched but cant find anything.Or can someone describe how this works?Is this the best place to be asking about this?Thanks guys!!!

Offline b570

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008 - 08:10:02 AM »
Anyone have pics of the linckage that goes from the column shifter to the transmission.Z bar linckage???