tilt steering columns that fit

Author Topic: tilt steering columns that fit  (Read 12166 times)

Offline leanburn

tilt steering columns that fit
« on: November 27, 2008 - 10:12:38 PM »
i want to install a tilt column, i was going to go with on from xv but i remember one member used one from a 75 cordoba and he said it bolted right up, even the electrical was a match. can anyone tell me how i can find out what columns are the same as a 75 coroba? for example i found a 1980 cordoba but don't know if there was a bunch of changes.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: tilt steering columns that fit
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008 - 12:27:09 AM »
up to 79 at least they were all B body , in 80 I think they went to the smaller M body Cordoba porbably not even similar
 I have never tried installing a tilt column in an E body

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Roppa440

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008 - 04:03:18 AM »
I have seen one done. The owner was claiming it was "factory". :grinno:

It did look and fit very much like a tilt version of an original E-body column and, as said, it looked like the factory connectors hooked right up.

I have no idea what it was from. But its fit sure had the owner (and me for a short while) convinced it was factory.
Dave
1970 Challenger R/T
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008 - 10:35:18 AM »
Flaming River has a new one that uses Mopar keys and connectors. Direct bolt-in for e-bodies.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008 - 10:48:56 AM »
shelbydogg said he did one in his car email him for some info.
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008 - 11:42:19 AM »
It just might work. I had a slapstick shifted 75 Cordoba and it even had the little interlock thing on the column that you have to push over while you turn the key exactly like my 71 Challenger. The steering wheel would probably leave a lot to be desired but I bet the column could be a bolt-in. On a similar note one thing I did put in my 70 'Cuda from my then retired Cordoba was the remote hood release. It bolted to an existing hole under the dash and although it was sideways it worked perfectly. The reason I did that is because I had had an intake, dual point and holley carb stolen from that 'Cuda  :stomp:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline R/TSE

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008 - 08:18:37 PM »
I've seen some pics of the Cordoba column in a Chally and i wasn't too impressed. I would just go with an XV(ididit) or even a Flaming river. (Of course they came out with the factory looking keyed ignition AFTER i bought the XV column!) Did Mopar ever make a tilt column for E bodies? I have a 71 Charger with a factory tilt column but have never seen a E body.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008 - 08:58:53 PM »
I've seen some pics of the Cordoba column in a Chally and i wasn't too impressed. I would just go with an XV(ididit) or even a Flaming river. (Of course they came out with the factory looking keyed ignition AFTER i bought the XV column!) Did Mopar ever make a tilt column for E bodies? I have a 71 Charger with a factory tilt column but have never seen a E body.

No tilt that I know about at all. On a side not I guess if you are going for tilt wheel do something like my old 68 Imperial, tilt-telescoping, now that would be fancy but then you would definitely be stuck with the wheel which would look quite odd in an e-body I imagine. Looking at the flaming river/xv tilt wheels dont do much for me either. Hey, with the Cordoba column you would have the benefit of cruise control as a bonus!
*Brett*

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008 - 08:55:02 AM »
Nope, there was never a factory E-body tilt column and the 71/72 B-body units were for Auto/column shift ONLY. I have a couple of the Doba columns, but they're at my buddy's place 700 miles away, so I can't do any test fitting. :-( As I recall, they have a rag joint as opposed to just a straight shaft, so I don't know what all's involved with that complication.

I DO like the idea! One thing I've never liked about E-bodies is the "in your chest" steering wheel.

Steve
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008 - 09:23:13 PM »
My tilt column came out of a floor shift, '78 Cordoba. It was not a true bolt-in except for all of the wiring. I had to cut the shaft at the bottom and weld it to my original shaft's stub. I had to drill a couple of bolt holes at the firewall to mount the different sized seal plate. I had to weld a small flat bracket on top of it to bolt to the 2 long studs that hold the original column up.  The wheel is a Grant, with a regular wheel adapter from grant. I'll do it again as soon as I find another column. Even the keylock light and key-in-ignition buzzer still work with this.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2008 - 09:31:42 PM by shelbydogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008 - 11:30:18 PM »
The column that was in my 75 Cordoba was just like that but had the same exact ignition slide lock that my 71 Challenger has. It had the same ball shifter that the 70 E-bodies had. That one looks like a later year column. I think it would be a worthwhile upgrade while still being an original Mopar column.
*Brett*

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008 - 11:39:07 PM »
This column also had the push down-to-lock lever that my 71 and later columns have.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008 - 08:39:07 AM »
Off topic alert  :dupe:

Shelbydogg,

Do you have power windows or crank windows :dunno:
Whats the black box by the shifter for  :clueless:

Thanks
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008 - 04:56:41 PM »
Around '83, a girl at work had a boyfriend with a Cuda, who bought some SE door panels. They didn't fit his cuda, so his GF gave them to me. I didn't have power windows so I cut a window crank hole. Switches are now used to raise or lower my power lock solenoids.  Next to my shifter, the silver box is the Bass boost control for my 1000 watt amp in the trunk. The black box has 2 push buttons and one toggle switch that go to my relays for my driving lights and my Aoogah horn under my battery tray.

All I ever wish for now is a cup holder and an adjustable reclining seat.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008 - 10:56:08 AM by shelbydogg »
Rob

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009 - 08:37:53 PM »
I found another column for my Cuda by searching All of Craigslist and e-mailing sellers that were selling Cordoba parts.  Got it for $50 without the steering wheel and key assembly. The keyswitch is available at Oreilly's for $13.99.   The wiring adapters were there. These allow the wiring to the ignition switch and turn signals to be plugged right into the E-body wiring harness. Here they are marked in RED.  They are out there, you just have to look.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2009 - 09:42:27 AM by ShelbyDogg »
Rob