Author Topic: Ebay deal gone bad , maybe??  (Read 22963 times)

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
Re: Ebay deal gone bad , maybe??
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2008 - 05:50:04 PM »
That's the truth, I've always been told, "If it flies, floats, or F**ks, rent don't buy!"
:smilielol:
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2008 - 04:19:57 PM »
It's  kind of a funny story. I have been bidding on quite a few 1970 Challengers on E-bay, never thinking I'd score one. To back up, my Mom died in the Summer of 2007. That's the bad part. But the good part is she left me and my sister a nice inheritance. Nothing crazy, just something to really set us up financially ( I still have to work!LOL ) So I paid off the house and bought a Suburban and a new  33 foot travel trailer had a great summer ( 2008) I then thought "hey, I just got a nice  family vehicle  ( that the wife drives) MY turn!! I could never had afforded another Challenger otherwise! So I had a limit of $20,000 in mind MAX.  I noticed that prices have been coming down in that time.  So I bid on the one I just won on E-bay thinking nah I'll never win it! But I did!!
:eek2:
 Then 1 week after I won and paid for it, I got laid off at work!!  I'm a Moldmaker but I was working as a machinist for an automotive automation company ( enough said!!)Talk about Bad timing!!! That's most of the reason my wife is so steamed I'm sure. But We are in a really fortunate spot financially compared to most of the people that got laid off when I did. ( about 100 people)
I have a small machine shop here at the house .  Bridgeport mill , lathe, tig,mig welders bandsaw Radial arm drill sandblaster etc..... So I have been busy making "parts" for stock cars ( I'm a tech inspector for Nascar at my local track) hot rods and custom bikes and what ever else comes along. I even worked helping out a friend of a friend build his house. We are doing OK. Money doesn't come in steady like it used to but overall it pretty close to the same!!! Just comes in "chunks" now. I so like my new boss :bigsmile: But I do need more work ,but I figure if I can survive in this economy I can't wait till things get good again!! Again I know I'm so blessed compared to some of the panicked faces  I saw getting laid off at work
The wife is still pretty sore at me but I like to think my Mom is somewhere smiling at me saying "Merry Christmas son"!  It's something I've dreamed of owning since I was 9 years old!!! ( I'm 41 now) I think if I wait till the economy turns around  I wouldn't be able to afford one!
I couldn't decide if I wanted a new Challenger or an old one. I figured that an old one will always go up in value and with a new one I'd lose an easy $10,000 as soon as I drove it off the lot. And  with an old one It's cheaper and I don't have to worry about emissions tests! It's a way better investment than the stock market if you ask me . The plus is I can enjoy it now and it will most likely go up in value every year!!! Heck I figure you never get to the end of your life and say " I wished I worked more" or " If only  I had invested more in stocks" LOL!! I have 3 sons so in the back of my mind I'd like to leave them each a car! We can have a great time fixin them up and enjoy them now!!! This makes car  # 3 so I'm done!  ( maybe ? LOL) I just finished a 1986 GrandNational with a Buick 455  , t-10 and 9" rear and a 55 belair project I've had for 10 years now. I'd like to build a shop next summer as I'm now out of room! LOL
Well that's my story....
Brad
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2009 - 08:44:01 PM »
I'm wishing I had never bought this car !!! Almost. Never ever use DAS for shipping!!!
First we agreed on a price to ship from CA to Toronto. All was good. They picked up the car Ok and it was great using the online tracking feature. The car got to Madison Heights MI then the trouble started! It sat there for 2 weeks???? I rented a trailer to aline with there arrival date even ,that I had to take back after $300 and not even using it! I'm not exactly comfortable having my ride sitting for 2 weeks in a subburb of Detroit!!! So I ask whats with that? They say oh it's all good . I asked did it clear customs OK , what's the hold up? They told me it cleared 2 weeks ago??? So again I ask what's the hold up?? They say we just have to arrange for a truck to go to Toronto. So I try to be patient. I then get a e-mail saying for an additional $100 they have a truck going to my hometown ( Barrie), but I have to decide quick as they want to ship it today.  Toronto is an hour away . I say sure great!!! That was a week ago??? Still no car??? So I start getting pissed off and again phone and ask what gives?? They say still waiting for a truck??? 3 days after that I get an e-mail saying the car is inoperatable and the shipping will be an extra $260 ???? Now I'm really getting pissed off. So I phone and ask whats going on with mt car?? They say oh it arrived in MI inoperatable??? They won't say what or don't know? dead battery ?out of gas,??They just want an extra $260 It was fine 3 weeks ago when I asked whats the hold up in detroit!! Like what am I going to do, refuse to pay it, they have my car!! I feel almost a victim of extortion??  I'm almost ready to drive to detroit and go postal!!! Not quite but boy am I frustrated with them.
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2009 - 08:49:25 PM »
Man dude that is all jacked up. Sure seems like they are playing the shell game with you for sure. Good luck on getting your car without having the company muscle any extra money out of you. 
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2009 - 09:04:53 PM »
some people suck.  :walkaway: this just sucks. I can't stand it! :horse:  When i was looking for a car,Almost lost faith in humanity due to all the scum involved. had to fly to check it out. No other way. Part of the deal.        There's got to be someone around there that can do something!  :villagers: good luck!!!  :popcorn:Robert.
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2009 - 10:26:22 AM »
Finally got it home!!! :woohoo: The car was just as the seller said! The trunk has a patch but it looks like a good repair! I wasn't expecting a Barrett Jackson car!
Now the shipping that's another story!!
The rear u-joint is blown out of it the battery is dead and it's out of gas and a huge tranny leak!! I assume someone had burnout contests with it!! :villagers: and the front valance has fresh gouges and is dented up! No doubt where they had a tow cable on it!!! IDIOTS!!! Never use DAS trust me!! I asked 5 times if there was any damage to it with no reply! What does that tell you!!
I'll try and get it going today to see what they hurt besides the obvious!
Here are some pictures of the new baby!! It needs a lot of cleaning and tiding up of lots of things but its all there, great car to start with! The interior looks OK but it's not stock but that can all be replaced in time! I just wanted a rust free car to start with, and it is! :woo:
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2009 - 10:38:39 AM »
Not bad looking.  :2thumbs:

isnt there insurance on it through them? I would think they would need to repair the car. Id be going to court.

:villagers:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline twist

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2009 - 10:56:02 AM »
The good part is that it is as the seller described. My Challenger was far from what the seller described. Live & Learn
Glad you finally got it home, for a while it sounded like it would never make it.

Last year I left my truck at a Boston Thrifty Car Rental for a week. They do the valet parking deal for you. When I came back a week later from my trip my truck was a mess - dead battery, main drive belt shreaded, brake discs warped, exhaust crunched. All I got from them was "we have no idea how that could of happened" yeah right, scum  :villagers:
70 Challenger R/T SE
68 Charger RT
68 Dart GT Convertible

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2009 - 12:53:00 PM »
looking good  :thumbsup:  good luck with it
*** Bart ***

Offline farmertan

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2009 - 01:36:05 PM »
 nice find looks solid did the seller take note of the odometer when it left and what was on it when it arrived, an extra 20 miles would make me call the better business bureau, the more compaints on file the less people would use them.
73 340 4sp 2nd owner since 85    brett

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2009 - 10:18:00 PM »
another one gets screwed by DAS, sorry to hear that, I wish you had asked before hiring them,

I know some poor guy got screwed big time right before Turkey Rod Run, someone I recently met owns a transporting company, somehow they ended up transporting a 32 Ford roadster, which someone just bought and wanted them to bring itn enclosed trailer to St Augustine Florida , where the new owner lived, on the way there from Washington state the car fell off the top level of back of the trailer causing damage to the rear of the body,they had some  half-a$$ shop fix it ,tons of bondo,chunks still hanging,heavy grit scratches ,fish-eyes,trash in paint,bends and kinks in the body structure,doors do not open and close like they should.The car made it all the way to Jacksonville Florida with top down ,not in enclosed trailer but on open trailer with a  tarp strapped down with bungee cords, before it went to new owner who was anxious to take it to Daytona, the car came to my shop for spot paint work to fix gouges in new paint from bungee cords,scratched from the tarp.I just feel sorry for the new owner of that 32 Ford, poor guy probably will never know that his car was decent before theese clowns were hired to transport it
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline RT Dude

« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2009 - 11:48:44 PM »
Finally got it home!!! :woohoo: The car was just as the seller said! The trunk has a patch but it looks like a good repair! I wasn't expecting a Barrett Jackson car!
Congrats  :clapping:. Nice looking Chally.   :2thumbs:
Brent

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2009 - 11:50:43 PM »
Now the shipping that's another story!!
The rear u-joint is blown out of it the battery is dead and it's out of gas and a huge tranny leak!! I assume someone had burnout contests with it!! :villagers: and the front valance has fresh gouges and is dented up! No doubt where they had a tow cable on it!!! IDIOTS!!! Never use DAS trust me!! I asked 5 times if there was any damage to it with no reply! What does that tell you!!
I'll try and get it going today to see what they hurt besides the obvious!
Here are some pictures of the new baby!! It needs a lot of cleaning and tiding up of lots of things but its all there, great car to start with! The interior looks OK but it's not stock but that can all be replaced in time! I just wanted a rust free car to start with, and it is! :woo:

Cant you make a claim against the shipping company? Sounds like gross negligence on their part. I dont understand how they can still be in business if they treat customers cars like that. I hope when they threw the driveline they did not trash your trans. At least turn them in to the better business bureau if nothing else  :dunno:  Glad you finally got the car and it looks pretty solid to me  :2thumbs:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Purple73Cuda

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2009 - 07:52:14 AM »
I am surprised to hear about DAS being a bad transporter. When we bought the 'Cuda last Fall, we used DAS to get the car from Kentucky to Ct. We received the car on time and in the condition that the car was in when it was shipped. I inspected the car at the Nationals, so I knew the condition of the car. They were very good to work with. DAS was very thorough with filling out an inspection report to document any flaws on the car before shipping it. I didn't see any evidence of abuse or damage.
In my case, I thought the price was reasonable and the service was great.  :2cents:It was great to be able to track the car online. The only thing I didn't like was, that the car sat for several days at the terminal in Ky. apparently waiting or a truck or waiting for a full load of vehicles to be shipped. I would imagine that is when damage or abuse of the car could happen. Luckily there was no abuse or damage. :2cents:
John
'73 Cuda 340
'70 RR 440+6
'66 Charger 383

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2009 - 05:29:59 PM »
"Can't you make a claim against the shipping company? Sounds like gross negligence on their part."

I agree, file a compliant.  Sounds like they owe you some money!  Take them to small claims court, you can represent yourself and file for $2500 in most states.  I'm 2 for 2.  With any kind of proof these cases are easy to win.