Author Topic: Engine bay resto questions  (Read 2738 times)

Offline e-tek

• My website: http://edanneberg.googlepages.com/home
    • E-Tek Resto's
Engine bay resto questions
« on: November 28, 2008 - 10:38:08 PM »
What does everyone think is best for:

1.Wrapping the electrical - shiny electrical tape or cloth "hockey" tape?

2. Paint for components such as wiper motors, steering box, steering rods & linkages...

2. Paint for trunk and hood latches

BTW - it's for a 74 Challenger if that makes a difference!

Offline Lunchbox

Re: Engine bay resto questions
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008 - 11:50:31 PM »
Trunk and hood latches should be plated. If your wiper motor is 3-speed it should be plated also if it is 2-speed it should be painted black. As for the suspension componets some should be left bare steel look and others had a protective coating. Many people replicate the looks in more durable paint and powdercoatings. When I get back to my pics Ill post some samples if you would like.

Lunch

Offline AMXguy

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008 - 12:07:08 AM »
From what I've seen of original wire tape it was the standard shiny stuff. the 3M expensive stuff it worth the money, goes on better and better.

much of your underhood stuff was bare metal , zinc , gold cad and it varied from year to year so you have to be specific.

the hood and latch , safety catch and trunk latch  looked to be bare metal or a poor plating job on the original cars I've seen. I bead blasted mine  then  the heated them up and sprayed cosmoline on them, keeps them from rusting and gives an original look. maybe not concours but close enough for me.

On our AMX forum there was a permanent thread that was dedicated to original restoration detail , there are a few guys on here that could probably do one for E bodies, I'd love that. I just try to look at high dollar ebay cars and if enough of them have the same thing I figure that's correct. not an excact science but the best I can do.
1970 R/T SE Challenger
 1970 Superbee
 1969 S code Mach 1
 1967  GTO

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008 - 02:47:31 AM »
Here are some example pics. The first 7 are from parts on my 70 Chall, the last 3 are example cars I found on the web. My booster/master looks great but should be all black.

The hood latch looks terrible and will be redone.

Lunch
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008 - 02:49:27 AM by Lunchbox »

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008 - 04:06:46 AM »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008 - 07:34:16 AM »
Depends what are you are going for-a nice driver or correct show winner?
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline e-tek

• My website: http://edanneberg.googlepages.com/home
    • E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008 - 10:09:03 PM »
Lunch - THANKS for the pics! Is that Gold Cad plating or a paint? I'm guessing it's plated. Also, what happned to the hood latch?

AMXguy - great info - I wish we had a resto thread. I'm not sure if I'm the guy to start it though....

BTW - I'm going for nice driver that I can show and get GREAT comments on...plus I just have fun trying to get it as right "as possible".

Thanks guys.

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008 - 02:55:29 AM »
Lunch - THANKS for the pics! Is that Gold Cad plating or a paint? I'm guessing it's plated. Also, what happned to the hood latch? 

The wiper motor is gold zinc since there arn't many places if any that to Cad plating from what I hear anymore. The hood latch was a Funk Brother's job gone south. There is quite a thread about them on here someplace.

Lunch

Offline 70Cuda

• 70 Cuda 383 70 Challenger 440+6 71 Challenger 383
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011 - 12:22:09 AM »
The pictures are gone off this post and I am curious about doing my latches too.

Are there any good references out there for a list of everything that should be plated and what it should be plated with?  I have the nut and bolt book which listed a lot of things but I don't think it got into latches, etc.

If I knew everything to pull off and send in to get plated and what to plate it with at once that seems like the way to go.

I'm working on a 70 Cuda and specifically wondering about the hood latch, trunk latch, side markers, other to send off and also looking for a good place to do the plating.

I see this post is talking about door latches http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=81618.0

Thanks in advance and yes, I know this is an old post.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011 - 12:39:29 AM by 70Cuda »