Author Topic: small block transmission help  (Read 7537 times)

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: small block transmission help
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2008 - 10:27:00 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation, it is one that I have been considering since I first built my car. At this time I cannot afford to make the conversion to a manual transmission even though I have many of the parts to do so. The second issue with the 4 speed is now living in the Bay Area I don't want to be using a clutch all the time which is one of the reasons I sold my SRT 4 as it was a 5 speed. I really appreciate all of the feedback that everyone is giving me on this topic, but for now it looks like a done deal for my next step as I am suppose to be going to pick up a transmission tomorrow and have the parts on the way.

Update: Just got off the phone with the guy and I am going tomorrow to get the transmission. It is a 1975 727 long tail shaft out of a van.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008 - 02:55:21 PM by 72hemi »
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: small block transmission help
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2008 - 12:00:14 AM »
Picked up the transmission today and it looks like it will work out great. The tailshaft even has the provision for the shift linkage so I am in great shape. Hopefully I won't find any surprises when I tear it apart. He told me that it worked fine when he drove the van to his place prior to dismantling the van, but it has been sitting in his garage for the past 10 years.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe