Author Topic: An Unbelievable tale  (Read 15816 times)

Offline Bearcuda

An Unbelievable tale
« on: December 05, 2008 - 05:24:31 PM »
Hey there fellow moparians, I hope you all are seated because what I am about to tell you will literally blow your mind. I've been walking around in a discusted stupor since I heard it a few days ago. Gather round friends and I shall tell you a tale, a true tale no matter how unbelievable it may seem, but true nontheless.

My best friend Mark with whom I buy and sell classic cars told me that a few days ago a lady walked into his place of business. He is the manager and head salesperson of a restaurant supply business in Maryland. He recognized the lady, but couldn't place where he had seen her before. After a few minutes of discussing equipment with her he realized that this was someone he had done business with several years ago and immediately remembered the in depth discussion they had had about muscle cars. At that time she had told him how her and her husband were big muscle car enthusiasts and especially loved mopars. They owned several cars including her very first car she got when she was sixteen which was a 69 HEMI Roadrunner 4 speed car. Sheesh, nice first car.

On this visit, after he realized who she was, he brought up her car again and she told him how she had just picked up a 70 Cuda two weeks ago. Now, he doesn't think she is the type who would regail the masses with this story so I am taking it upon myself to do so because I think it is the craziest, luckiest thing I have ever heard of and I have read and heard A LOT of car stories. Someone out there may know the person who sold this car or the lady who picked it up. If word gets back to the previous owner, I really hope he doesn't kill himself. Here's how it went down:

Two weeks ago, she was driving along I-70 towards Frederick, Maryland when there sat, beside an exit, a 1970 Cuda with a For Sale sign in the window. She took the next exit as quickly as possible and went back to the car. There it sat, a yellow 70 Cuda with a shaker scoop and hockey stripe. She immediately called the number on the for sale sign and got the owner's voice mail. She got a call back soon after and she was able to discuss the car with him. He told her how it had been in his family for 28 years and used to be his dad's. The car was currently insured and very driveable. She was able to talk him into letting her take it to her mechanic to check it out. The mechanic told her that it was in pretty good shape and that she wasn't going to steal it. She said she knew that and she was prepared for what he might want for it. The owner even accompanied her to the DMV to show her that the title was free and clear and legit.

It now came down to the bottom line. "Ok", she said, " what do you need for this car?" He had already related to her how his house was being forclosed on and how he had other immediate bills he needed to pay. I think there might have been some hospital bills in the discussion. He said something to the effect of "Well, it's a running, driving car that needs a little work....how's $2000 sound?" She bought the car on the spot.

By now, I'm sure that most of you have guessed that since I left it out in the description that yes,.....it is a real R code Hemi Cuda, driveable no less, for a whopping $2000 dollars sold two weeks ago in 2008. Not $20 thousand, not $12,000, but a paltry $2000.00 DOLLARS.

Are you all in stunned disbelief as I am? No, I'm not joking. The guy apparently lives under a rock. If he only knew that the true value of that car could have gotten him out of his financial burdens. What's worse, it's one of 284 since it is a four speed car. It gets worse than that. The woman apparently doesn't care about it's survivor status (as it is a numbers matching car) as she wants to paint it red and change the interior to black (it's currently white).Is she nuts?!  I told him to tell her that I just happen to have a red cuda with black interior. I'll trade her straight up.  :grinyes: :grinyes:   

I don't have any pictures of the car, but my buddy called her yesterday to see if she would e-mail him some. I want to see it before she ruins it as I'm sure all of you would like to see it as well. Oh well, I'm off to go cry in the corner some more. "Sniff".....

Oh yeah, the car had sat out by the exit for three hours before she spotted it. With thousands of cars driving by in that time period how did it last three minutes, let alone three hours?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008 - 06:14:31 PM by Bearcuda »
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
Re: An Unbelievable tale
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008 - 05:45:14 PM »
WOW!  If that is true good buy on her part.  I would leave that type of car to the fender tags / build sheet.   :2cents:

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008 - 05:58:53 PM »
Well, I have heard some stories too, but that story is a HUM DINGER!!! WOW What a deal!!! Some people just have all the luck!!! :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008 - 06:12:10 PM »
 :iagree:

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008 - 06:30:03 PM »
*Checking date*

Hmmmm, nope, not April 1st...   :clueless:

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008 - 06:43:07 PM »
 :faint:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008 - 06:45:30 PM »
More proof that to some people an old muscle car is just an old car. I would love to run across something like that. I bet when the guy finds out what it is really worth they will find him in a corner sucking his thumb and mumbling.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008 - 07:13:17 PM »
Nice of her, knowing the seller's financial situation to give a little more for it..........NOT.
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008 - 07:29:51 PM »
Nice of her, knowing the seller's financial situation to give a little more for it..........NOT.

My thought exactly. Four scenarios entered my head when he told me all of this:

1)  If I was in her shoes, would I have the heart to even buy the car from him? If I was a saint, which I'm not, but I'm still a Christian, I would tell him that  I can't buy the car, but I would be happy to help him get the maximum value for the car to help him with his financial situation.
2)  Should I offer him much more money, but still way under market value?
3)  Should I buy it for what he's asking and then come back and give him more money after I've sold it?
4)  Being Cuda crazed, but already having a nice one, could I even bear to sell this car for our business, especially after getting it for next to nothing?
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008 - 07:36:13 PM »
You never know what you will do until the opportunity presents itself. One thing is for sure, I would have not walked away from that car. I might have doubled the money or something but to be honest I cannot really say I would not write a check right then and there and buy it. It is not like she put a gun to his head and made him set that price. I can only say that whatever I might do in that situation, I would be leaving with that car for sure. Everyone else here would too. If someone says they would walk away from a 2k hemicuda they are lying.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008 - 11:11:50 PM »
some people have all the luck.i'd give him 2k and then if i got to feeling guilty about it he might find a anonymous gift in the mail for christmas.

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008 - 11:18:57 PM »
 :eek2:

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008 - 11:21:01 PM »
Not trying to sour the mood but I have to see this to believe it. I also hope if this is true that this lady doesnt destroy it!!!
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008 - 12:00:20 AM »
Not trying to sour the mood but I have to see this to believe it. I also hope if this is true that this lady doesnt destroy it!!!

That's why I want to see it too. Mark is a very good judge of character and believes she is very sincere. I definitely wanna see this car though.
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008 - 12:12:24 AM »
This reminds me of the stories of the military guys that bought a muscle car before they shipped out to Nam.
Then while they're gone it's kept in a barn.

Poor guy doesn't get back from Nam. So Dad puts it up for sale for a paltry amount many years later.

You know this was comin with this story

:useless:
Mike, Fremont, CA.