Author Topic: An Unbelievable tale  (Read 15813 times)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: An Unbelievable tale
« Reply #120 on: December 22, 2008 - 09:33:15 AM »
Ha ha, laugh it up fellows, but I think the last scenerio is where it stands. Would you want some guys sneaking around at the body shop where the car is without you there? I wouldn't.

We're just messing with ya, Bearcuda.  :thumbsup:

You know us, we love pics and what not, this was a fun read.  :grinyes: 
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Mopar7890

• 70 Challenger 440 RT/SE, 09 SRT-8, 60 Manx
« Reply #121 on: December 22, 2008 - 09:34:52 AM »
How could I have told you that something like this will be the excuse at thee end from the beginning.
People love stuff like this, it is called living the dream. Thats why the Enquirer is in business. BS of its finest and was to obvious from the start.

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #122 on: December 22, 2008 - 10:56:51 AM »
OK, so how about this scenario. The lady really did buy the car. The husband realizes what it is, so he tells her that its a piece of crap and they should sell it. Then he pretends to sell the car to someone else. That way, he gets to keep the car for himself, and diverts attention away from himself by saying the car was sold. He may want to keep the info from his wife. Then he can sell it for big bucks, and pocket the money for himself. Might have a girlfriend that he is planning on running away with. You never know.

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
« Reply #123 on: December 22, 2008 - 12:27:32 PM »
I honestly think Bearcuda told the story as sincerely as he could so lets not be too hard on him. I feel that it made for a nice feel good story but as many twist and turns as it has taken its almost impossible to believe. I think this lady told this story to make herself look important and when she was called on it the story changed.
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #124 on: December 22, 2008 - 12:43:27 PM »
I honestly think Bearcuda told the story as sincerely as he could so lets not be too hard on him. I feel that it made for a nice feel good story but as many twist and turns as it has taken its almost impossible to believe. I think this lady told this story to make herself look important and when she was called on it the story changed.

:iagree:  I'm a little disappointed in members who call out a long time member like this.  If this were a  :newbie: I could see the skepticism, but not for someone who's been around as long as Bearcuda.  I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until proven wrong.
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #125 on: December 22, 2008 - 05:32:04 PM »
Bear is not the bad guy here and this woman is no "lady". Like I said before, these stories make me postal! Yes, of course I will continue to read them!
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline Mr. 6pak2go

• Resident
  • Restore it dont crush it!
« Reply #126 on: December 22, 2008 - 08:49:07 PM »
wow this is awsome js27 called the shot it would disapear before you could see it! i beleive you bear i think its funny all these guys on here say you bsin but yet they continue to read and post about it! iv been there i found a complete shaker hood with the shaker and base all hardware and everthing for 50 bucks! a guy i went to high school with told me his dad had it and he would sell it to me which i beleived him cause his dad owns a salvage yard and deals alot in old mopars and i figured he had a couple laying around! well i called him for months no answer no return calls finally i got a hold of him he told me to meet him at the mc donalds and he would bring it to me he never showed up i havent talked to him since last i heard he moved to florida! peaple lie and minipulate so i understand!!
My family, My cars, My guns three things il fight for!!

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #127 on: December 22, 2008 - 10:03:31 PM »
Bearcuda is only relaying what he has heard. Its the other people that are not being honest.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #128 on: December 22, 2008 - 10:08:39 PM »
I believe Bear is telling it the way he is hearing it. I believe there is chain yanking on down the line though. Stranger things have happened though. The crack about the 75 RR was just me funnin.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Cdnchallenger

« Reply #129 on: December 23, 2008 - 11:36:29 AM »
My apologies!
I am not one who would ever question someones honesty.

When I said this thread is bs it was never intended as personal against Bearcuda or anyone else.

I was only trying to state my opinion on the chain of events.

Sorry to all.

Steve

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #130 on: December 23, 2008 - 01:01:24 PM »
if the story is true,she's no "lady", but low-life
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #131 on: December 23, 2008 - 01:56:12 PM »
I did not take it like anybody was doubting Bearcuda's account of these events, I sure wasn't.

I think the general feeling was this person was feeding him a line of BS.

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #132 on: December 23, 2008 - 02:40:01 PM »
Okay - so let's share the story about the guy who went to a yard sale and saw a 1972 'Cuda sitting in the driveway of this house.  He starts chatting with the original owner of the #'s matching 340 'Cuda, and finally gets the guts to ask, "Would you sell it?"  Imagine his amazement when the owner replied, "Sure - do you have a dollar?"  The 'Cuda didn't start due to a bad starter solenoid, but ran pretty well.  It needed body work but for all intents and purposes was "complete."

He came to browse someone's junk and ended up with a $1 '72 Cuda.

This story is not BS.  I know it isn't.  I know very well...

How do I know?  The original owner - yeah that guy...  He was my dad.

:bricks1:
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #133 on: December 23, 2008 - 02:52:17 PM »
I also know the OTHER end of a story like this.

I bought my '73 in October of 2006.  It was obviously a monumentous day for me after having the '72 I hoped to inherit practically given away...

I had a neighbor in my apartment complex in Camp Hill (where I still live) who had become a friend.  He was pretty slummy, but at least he was someone I could watch a football game with, play video games against, that sorta stuff - no serious brotherhood stuff.

Well, this guy got wrapped up in the excitement of my 'Cuda.  He got the first ride in it (he was conveniently nearby) and just absorbed a lot of my enthusiasm.

One day he tells me that his girlfriend's (who he already had a kid with) father had a bunch of old cars sitting at his property and "the county had told him he had to get rid of them."  (Sound familiar?)  He was telling his not-quite father-in-law about his friend getting a 'Cuda, and the father says, "Oh yeah - I have one of those..."  Well it's in the back yard, it's pretty rotted away but the engine is still there - a 340.

To make the long story short, this psuedo in-law says I can have the car for free if I'll pay to get it towed out of there so that he won't be fined by the county.  Obviously, I got hooked in, and was excited.

What would follow was MONTHS of back-and-forth, second-hand speak and countless excuses this way and that.  He gave me directions twice to see the car - both times they were different directions, and neither time did they lead me to any car.  He told me that suddenly the father had gotten upset with the daughter and they weren't talking anymore, and weren't returning their calls.  He called them once and then handed me the phone to leave them a message, I too never received a response.  Through it all, this "friend" and I had a falling out (obviously,) and I quit speaking to him.

One day his girlfriend knocks on our door to tell me that she got a restraining order against him for abuse and that if we saw him we were to call the police.  She was waiting for a friend to pick her up and we got to chatting in the meantime.

She revealed that it had all been a lie, and that she had been forced to play along.  She spoke with her parents all the time, and the car never existed.  He had made it all up and kept the lie going.

Want to know the REAL kicker to the whole story?  He moved out quite some time ago.  I was bored one day and searched for his name on that popular site, "MySpace."  Sure enough I found him.  I started reading his profile and was amazed when I saw this.

"I have two kids and a 1973 Barracuda.  I spend my time trying to be a great father to my kids and also working on my Cuda whenever I have time."

My reason for telling this story is that sometimes, people's lives are so pathetic that they have to adopt someone elses.  If it can bring them one more friend (or maybe another source to mooch cash off of - he owed a LOT of people in our apartment complex money) then it's worth it to them.

Sorry for making this so long.  But I've been on the BAD ends of BOTH outcomes of this story - the guy who lost the chance at a great car because someon ELSE got a great deal, and the guy who was OFFERED a great deal and then learned he was being scammed.  Luckily, this "Ghost Cuda" as I begun calling it cost me nothing more than a few gallons of gas.

I still wish I could find my dad's 'cuda.  :(

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #134 on: December 23, 2008 - 05:01:19 PM »
Hey it's no big deal guys. I know you weren't poking at me directly. I just feel bad that I haven't been able to provide a shread of evidence to anything I've told you so far. I know for a fact that she and her husband have plenty of money and could easily afford a full price Hemi Cuda. They own a couple of bars, some ATMs, and some slot machines. Mark said they have probably a dozen cars or so that they keep in a large garage in Frederick. Hopefully we will be able to get over there soon and take some pics so I'll have SOMETHING to show. He knows the name of the body shop that the Cuda was supposedly taken to as well. So he's gonna try and get over there and see if he can't take a peek in the facility to see if it is still there. He fully believes the car really exists, but thinks the husband intervened to keep people away from it.
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST