Author Topic: An Unbelievable tale  (Read 15845 times)

Offline N96cuda

• Kirks Cars
Re: An Unbelievable tale
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2008 - 12:00:58 PM »
I find this story very hard to believe. On the other hand, anything is possible. Case in point. A few years back, maybe 10-12, I immediately called when I saw a classified ad in our local paper for a 71 Hemi Cuda $17500. It was a legit, original unrestored numbers matching car with a unique color/interior combo (As I found out later). The owner said I was about the fifth or sixth caller that morning and informed me the first caller bought it with cash the night before the ad even came out in the paper due to getting the classifieds through email. He was more than a little annoyed when I informed him that I was prepared to give significantly more than the asking price. Oh well. I do find it somewhat difficult to believe in this day and age that the person selling a Hemi Cuda has never heard of Barrett-Jackson, picked up a magazine or checked ebay. Many people young and old that I come in contact with, I will eventually mention cars to them in hopes of getting a lead on something interesting. Everyone that has a TV or can read knows what a Hemi Cuda is. They may not know exactly what they are worth, but they know they are valuable.

70 Cuda 440-6 Shaker, Auto, Vitamin C, stripe delete, black int. & vinyl top, luggage rack, Magnums, build sheet
71 Cuda conv. 383 4-speed, Rallye red, black top, int. and billboards, 2 complete build sheets
09 B5 blue Challenger SRT-8
www.93cobra.itgo.com

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2008 - 06:46:02 PM »
Believable or not, unless someone on here actually knows the seller, we don't know anything about him. He could be a recluse without a TV that spends all his time making furniture or something down in his basement shop. Who knows what his situation is? If this were my dad, he probably wouldn't know what it's worth. He has a TV from 1982 and still only gets channels that are broadcast. He would never "pay" for TV by getting cable or satellite. I know for a fact he doesn't know what Barrett Jackson is. Unless we know the guys situation all we can do is speculate.
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Tower Rat 95B

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2008 - 10:32:29 PM »
Believable or not, unless someone on here actually knows the seller, we don't know anything about him. He could be a recluse without a TV that spends all his time making furniture or something down in his basement shop. Who knows what his situation is? If this were my dad, he probably wouldn't know what it's worth. He has a TV from 1982 and still only gets channels that are broadcast. He would never "pay" for TV by getting cable or satellite. I know for a fact he doesn't know what Barrett Jackson is. Unless we know the guys situation all we can do is speculate.

Come on BearCuda ,  I am counting on you , show us the pics :bigsmile:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  I really want this to be a bonafide true story after all anything is possible ,,,,,, so please post some pics  :bigsmile:.....

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2008 - 11:59:18 PM »
He has a TV from 1982 and still only gets channels that are broadcast. He would never "pay" for TV by getting cable or satellite.

I have a TV from that 80's that I normally use and don't have cable or satellite and I still know what a Hemi Cuda is worth....  :grinyes:  For real!  I still use my Sony Sports Walkman AM/FM casette from the mid 80's!  '68 Marantz Quadrophonic stereo too!   :grinyes:

But in all seriousness, if that is possible that it was gotten for $2000, that is awesome for the buyer.  I know for myself, there is a little jealosy when I think that it's not a true story.  You never know what's out there...  :eek7:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2008 - 01:00:04 PM »
Come on BearCuda ,  I am counting on you , show us the pics :bigsmile:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  I really want this to be a bonafide true story after all anything is possible ,,,,,, so please post some pics  :bigsmile:.....
Hey, like I said, I'm trying to get permission to go over there to verify this story myself. Hopefully this weekend. Mark hasn't heard back from her yet.
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2008 - 05:24:54 PM »
About 6 years ago I worked with an oldtimer who still had tv with an antenna and a rotary phone!He didn`t want to pay the 1$ for the upgrade to push button.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2008 - 06:47:05 PM »
About 6 years ago I worked with an oldtimer who still had tv with an antenna and a rotary phone!He didn`t want to pay the 1$ for the upgrade to push button.

Oh Sheesh,

My Mother still had rotary phones in the late 1980's. Your finger slips while dialing, and you get to talk to someone new.   :bricks1:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Tower Rat 95B

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2008 - 07:31:16 PM »

And the Irony of that statement is that, in a town near you there are dozen and dozen of young guns that just don't understand why people like you, I and us are so happy to be running big , heavy , old cars that handle like crud and have this strange thing on top called a carbonator,,,,,,,,,,,,, and ifn all that aint enough to work on them thar old cars ya gotta us cold steel wrenchs and (yuk) stuff,,,,,,, no usb ports chips, hyper tronics just oil and grease :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

BTW just last year I got rid of my trusty 19 Zenith for a 52 flat screen and the reason was that I just couldn't stand to hear my kids continiously  whinning about how ever one has a big screen :violin: :blah: :blah: :smilielol:.......

personally I likebeing 40 years behind the times and work hard at staying there  :working: :burnout: :bigsmile:,,,,,,..

Oh Yea Bearcuda the pics please ,,,,,,, one with the old lady doing a hole shot would be topshelf :bananasmi

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2008 - 08:30:53 PM »
Ahhh, the rotary phone days. We still had ours until about 1985. That's when I took money from my first job and got my own phone line with push button. The folks finally got with the times and changed the rest of the house over.
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2008 - 10:13:30 PM »
Jeez, we had our rotary phone till about 10 years ago out in the barn, if it aint broke, dont fix it.   :clueless:

Offline Goehner

• 392 IE
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2008 - 10:54:47 PM »
I find this story very hard to believe. On the other hand, anything is possible. Case in point. A few years back, maybe 10-12, I immediately called when I saw a classified ad in our local paper for a 71 Hemi Cuda $17500. It was a legit, original unrestored numbers matching car with a unique color/interior combo (As I found out later). The owner said I was about the fifth or sixth caller that morning and informed me the first caller bought it with cash the night before the ad even came out in the paper due to getting the classifieds through email. He was more than a little annoyed when I informed him that I was prepared to give significantly more than the asking price. Oh well. I do find it somewhat difficult to believe in this day and age that the person selling a Hemi Cuda has never heard of Barrett-Jackson, picked up a magazine or checked ebay. Many people young and old that I come in contact with, I will eventually mention cars to them in hopes of getting a lead on something interesting. Everyone that has a TV or can read knows what a Hemi Cuda is. They may not know exactly what they are worth, but they know they are valuable.

Everyone may think I am an a__, but everyone on this site is hard core about cars, especially Mopars. It is not hard to believe that someone has no idea it is even a Hemi in the car, let alone what it is worth. The world does not revolve around Mopars. They paid maybe $4000 for the car, it is 38 years old, they have no idea except it is a pain sitting in the garage or in the driveway.
392 Edition on order
08 Mega Cab 3500 SRW 6.7 CTD, 2" Leveling kit, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ
05 Durango Limited, Yea, it's got a HEMI!!

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2008 - 11:33:49 PM »
Everyone may think I am an a__, but everyone on this site is hard core about cars, especially Mopars. It is not hard to believe that someone has no idea it is even a Hemi in the car, let alone what it is worth. The world does not revolve around Mopars. They paid maybe $4000 for the car, it is 38 years old, they have no idea except it is a pain sitting in the garage or in the driveway.

:iagree: My thoughts exactly.  No one in my family except me would know or understand the significance of the car or have any idea what it was worth.  Maybe my wife and son, but no one else would have the slightest idea.
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2008 - 12:09:47 AM »
:iagree: My thoughts exactly.  No one in my family except me would know or understand the significance of the car or have any idea what it was worth.  Maybe my wife and son, but no one else would have the slightest idea.

:iagree: other non car people also.i was asked the other day by someone if my cuda was a 2 door or a 4 door.there are still some people out there that are ignorant when it comes to the subject of cars.you all know a few......put gas in the tank and it goes....thats all they know or care about.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008 - 12:18:03 AM by cudax34me »

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2008 - 07:32:09 AM »
I have a TV from that 80's that I normally use and don't have cable or satellite and I still know what a Hemi Cuda is worth....  :grinyes:  For real!  I still use my Sony Sports Walkman AM/FM casette from the mid 80's!  '68 Marantz Quadrophonic stereo too!   :grinyes:

But in all seriousness, if that is possible that it was gotten for $2000, that is awesome for the buyer.  I know for myself, there is a little jealosy when I think that it's not a true story.  You never know what's out there...  :eek7:

Thats what I was going to say about this. My dad would never know what a hemi car was worth let alone what a hemi car even is. I do because I have serious psychological problems when it comes to musclecars, lol. My wife thinks so anyway.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008 - 07:34:00 AM by Bearcuda »
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

craigsmytcudas

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2008 - 08:53:06 PM »
I dont beleve it . the car would need to be hidden from eyes, then the car would fall into disrepair then who would fix it  with out comment .also the guy could not obtain the car cheap much less not know what it is  . the hemi rr is also bull . last month a guy showed up at my shop and asked what i did with my hemi rr i had in 78 . the girl that he talked to turned out to be my high school girl friend ,at this point  some facts were in order . 1 she never owned the car 2 it was an m code 3 its been sold for many years . just another chick with a hemi rr. :roflsmiley: