Aftermarket A/C

Author Topic: Aftermarket A/C  (Read 5153 times)

Offline EFI-Cuda

• 1974 Cuda 408
Aftermarket A/C
« on: May 10, 2004 - 04:16:41 PM »
I am considering the installation of aftermarket A/C on my Cuda and would like any information from others that might have any input on his subject.      Are there any A/C success stories ot disaster stories out there related to A/C installation?      I hear that Classis Auto Air makes the best A/C kit for Mopars.      Has anyone used a kit from Classic Auto Air?
Cuda 408, Ford EFI, Magnum heads, Vortech V-2 Si-Trim, A-518 transmission and 3.23 gears.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re:Aftermarket A/C
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004 - 05:16:12 PM »
Great question. My car originally had AC, but some genious removed everything but the dryer when he did the engine swap ::) I've heard of Vintage Air too. Did anyone have success with these? Thanks.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004 - 07:44:48 PM »
I can't comment on the aftermarket systems, but i can give some tips on going from a non-A/C car to a factory A/C setup.

Offline Videomagician

• settlemoir.tv
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004 - 02:32:25 PM »
Some idiot removed all of my A/C (even the controls!)before I got the car, too.  It didn't even have a heater core hooked up.  The cool (sorry about the pun) thing about the vintage air looks like the modern sanden mini-compressor rather than the HUGE original one (which I don't have either).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004 - 02:34:57 PM by Videomagician »

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye w/440
2002 Chrysler Town and Country eX
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4WD Hemi

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004 - 06:57:11 PM »
My car is a non-A/C car that I'm swapping over to a factory setup. After buying all the parts, I found out that the firewalls are different. Sure, I could cut out access holes as needed, but I'm going to try to get a firewall section from a factory A/C car. I also have the 22" radiator core support, but picked up a 26" radiator to accomodate the A/C system. So, I have to pick up a 26" core support. Nothing easy. The good news is that you can send in your non-A/C dash pad as a core to Just Dashes and get an A/C pad back. I do have the huge York compressor, but I plan on using a much smaller unit.

Do the various aftermarket systems have the option to run the air through the vents?

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004 - 09:33:17 AM »
Hey guys,
I just spoke with Brady at Classic Auto Air  [(813)-241-2356] about the system they offer for the non-A/C Cuda. The system replaces the factory heater box and comes complete with everything you will need to make the system work. The original heater controls will operate the system. The system can be configured to work through a factory A/C dash pad. You can send you non-A/C dash pad to Just Dashes and get it reworked to accomodate A/C vents. Classic Auto Air also offers factory style vents to fit a factory A/C dash.

He is sending me the instructions and more information on the kit and I should have them in a couple of days. Sounds like I'm going to ditch the factory A/C setup that I picked up and go with this system.

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
Re: Aftermarket A/C
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005 - 02:58:53 PM »
ok, thought I'd kick start this thread. I have a 72 A/C car with all underhood components removed. I would like to restore A/C to the car with nere state of the art technology equipment but still keep the original controls,vents and the look on the inside. I talked to Tim at Classic Auto Air and he said all the underhood components could be purchased for around $800. That would include the new Sanden A/C pump, liquid hoses, condensor, dryer, and lines, pressure switch and expansion valve. Is this a good deal or what?  Are there any better deals out there?

72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline Mopar73340

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005 - 05:32:34 PM »
miketyler, I am in the same position as you and have their catalog but its been a couple of years since I last talked to them. (car in shop longer than expected) I'm still debating as weather to have the original lines restored or buy new ones. Last time I had my originals restored because they didn't make a bracket for a sanden compressor on a A/C car. From what I remember I think the price was around $600 for the kit your talking about. Let us know if you find anything better..
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005 - 05:38:47 PM by MOPAR73340 »
73-Challenger 340 727/GearVendors Auto
73-Challenger 408 Pistol-Grip 5-speed

Offline 72Chall77Doba

• Bill's Mopars
    • My Car Domain Page
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005 - 08:35:53 PM »
Great question. My car originally had AC, but some genious removed everything but the dryer when he did the engine swap ::) I've heard of Vintage Air too. Did anyone have success with these? Thanks.

Mike

I had a Vintage Air, Generation 2 A/C unit installed as my chally came without air and I live in south florida.
The unit works great.
It's a chrome unit and the installer did a superb job on it.
4 new chrome air outlets, everything properly done through the firewall etc.
But it cost me 2500.

Offline cudacruzer

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2005 - 05:01:12 AM »
I've used Vintage Air on several cars over the years...and it is very reliable and works with factory vents and controls. All of mine were in First Generation Camaros...although not the one I list as part of my signature here...'cause it has factory air.
ROB BRIGGS/Atlanta
'69 SS/RS Camaro Convertible (Numbers Matching)
Bikes: 2005 Custom S&S 145" Pro-Street /2005 BMW K1200LT
3 Kids/2 Dogs/2 Cats/Only 1 Wife
"Better to Wear Out Than To Rust Out"

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2005 - 01:28:03 PM »
I picked up a Classic Air kit for my Cuda last year.  I picked it up mainly because I am doing body work and wanted to do the modifications to my firewall to make it look really clean.  I am no where near installing it or running it, but the kit looks very nice and easy.  The heater/AC box is really cool.  It is much smaller than the original, but I can tell it is much tighter and has a better blower motor.  The instructions make the install look like it should be staight forward.

Offline Mopar73340

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2005 - 10:03:59 AM »
I talked with one of the guys from Classic Auto Air a few weeks ago at the mason dixon mopar show. I think I'm just going to ket their kit. It comes with compressor, dryer and all lines necessary under the hood. I'm leaving everything inside the car stock. I believe the kit is 595. Carlisle is so close now I'll wait and see whats there first though.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2005 - 10:58:44 AM »
I talked with one of the guys from Classic Auto Air a few weeks ago at the mason dixon mopar show. I think I'm just going to ket their kit. It comes with compressor, dryer and all lines necessary under the hood. I'm leaving everything inside the car stock. I believe the kit is 595. Carlisle is so close now I'll wait and see whats there first though.

Mopar73340,
  That's incredibly cheap. I think the cost is about double that?  :dontknow: I'm just curious, does your car have AC vents and ductwork already, or is this going to mount under the dash some way?

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Rizzay

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2005 - 02:10:12 PM »
I'm in the same boat as a couple of you guys, factory air that some genius tore out.  When you guys have some more accurate information and have actually done some installs, I'd like to hear about it. Thanks.

Offline Mopar73340

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2005 - 07:16:17 PM »
Mek, Sorry if I misled you. My car is an A/C car so I'm just talking about their kit to convert the pieces under the hood. Like you said the kit to put A/C on a non A/C car is at least twice that...