Author Topic: I'd sell my left nut...  (Read 21764 times)

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: I'd sell my left nut...
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2008 - 02:39:50 PM »
If you read my other posts on this topic they discuss problems with the new GT-R (not to be confused with the older skylines). The new GT-R looks good until it hits the streets and has to be serviced, 10k per service every 1500 miles (not a typo 1500 not 15000). Not to mention the fact that Nissan is trying everything possible to void warranties, because they know it will cost them a fortune. i.e. using the launch control feature voids warranty because usually results in transmission failure costing $20k to replace, or installing black box data recorder so that if they can show the car has been raced the warranty is voided.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2008 - 02:56:23 PM »
It's a helluva black box, too.  A lot of cars today have these "black boxes" but they only record somewhere from 30 to 90 seconds of data continuously.  When an impact occurs (usually detected by the air bag sensors) it saves the data permanently.  This data is (allegedly) only used to monitor how the safety features of the vehicle performed, such as air-bag deployment intervals, any kind of engine shut-offs, etc.

The GT-R black box is an entirely new beast.  It monitors information such as lateral and longitudinal forces (acceleration/braking and cornering,) top speed, engine RPMs, etc, and saves a lot of this information - you could say it saves your "high score."  You take it in for service because of a vibration, a ticking, who knows, they can see that you had it up to 160 miles per hour (at some point.)

Now, to play Devil's Advocate, whereas I don't agree with our cars being used to "tattle" on us, I also don't agree with people who abuse a car beyond it's intended purpose, then try to blame it on the manufacturer in order to have it fixed for free.  On my Stratus board a few years ago, a member installed Nitrous Oxide system that was far stronger than the car could handle.  They blew out a cylinder of the motor within it's first week of usage.  They removed the nitrous system, and borrowed parts from a friends car to replace parts that had been modified (like the center console in which the trigger switch had been installed) and took it to the dealer.  The dealer couldn't prove the use of a nitrous system, and ultimately had to replace the engine.  This, in my opinion, is wrong.

Jeff

Link to Article
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008 - 02:57:54 PM by ViperMan »
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2008 - 02:58:21 PM »

Now, to play Devil's Advocate, whereas I don't agree with our cars being used to "tattle" on us, I also don't agree with people who abuse a car beyond it's intended purpose, then try to blame it on the manufacturer in order to have it fixed for free.  On my Stratus board a few years ago, a member installed Nitrous Oxide system that was far stronger than the car could handle.  They blew out a cylinder of the motor within it's first week of usage.  They removed the nitrous system, and borrowed parts from a friends car to replace parts that had been modified (like the center console in which the trigger switch had been installed) and took it to the dealer.  The dealer couldn't prove the use of a nitrous system, and ultimately had to replace the engine.  This, in my opinion, is wrong.

Jeff

:iagree:
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2008 - 03:08:45 PM »
This is from the GTR maintenance schedule. - please note the service interval. 1- 1000 mile service, then every 12 months thereafter. First ones are performed free of charge, then after the 3 year interval they are woven into the normal 6k service interval, similar to other cars. Of course if the user breaks stuff, then all bets are off.

If you have a source that says every 1500 miles, please provide it, because this is what I do for a living and any new information or resources help me do my job.

This is direct from Nissan:

http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpubs/gtr/2009/2009_GTR_SMG.pdf

In addition to the regular maintenance recommended by NISSAN, the GT-R requires the following Inspections;
Measurement and adjustment of wheel alignment if needed (unladen with fuel and lubricants full, including tire pressure adjustment)
Note 1
 Note 1: This vehicle is equipped with a high performance suspension. As the suspension components "break-in", the vehicle's
wheel alignment needs to be measured and adjusted by a GT-R certified dealer at the recommended intervals.
Engine settings (balancing of air flow for left and right banks) Note 2
 Note 2: Each cylinder bank of this engine operates independently due to the vehicle's twin turbocharger design. Each side of the
engine must operate at the same level of performance. The power output of each bank must be checked and adjusted as necessary
by a GT-R certified NISSAN dealer.
Transmission settings Note 3
 Note 3: The design of the clutch and transmission requires inspection and adjustment of the clutch and shift forks by a GT-R certified
NISSAN dealer at the recommended intervals. Depending on driving conditions, more frequent adjustments may be necessary
to help maximize vehicle performance.
These inspections are required at the following intervals: 1,000 miles, 12 months, 24 months and 36 months.
These inspections will be performed free of charge at a GT-R certified NISSAN dealer only. See your 2009 NISSAN GT-R Warranty
Information Booklet for details.
After the period of GT-R performance optimization services in the first three years, these items are included in the regular scheduled
maintenance.
*Repairs and adjustments involving part replacement, etc. determined to be necessary as a result of these inspections are performed
at the customer's expense.
*See your 2009 NISSAN GT-R Warranty Information Booklet for significant limitations, exclusions, and possible voiding of warranty
resulting from failure to have these necessary inspection, repairs and/or adjustments performed.
NISSAN MAINTENANCE
GT-R Performance Optimization Services
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008 - 03:25:56 PM by ntstlgl1970 »
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2008 - 03:29:45 PM »
Interesting...  None of that seems particularly troubling.  Where's the $10,000 service come into play?

Jeff

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2008 - 03:37:07 PM »
Just to play devils advocate, the owners manual has a page dedicated to keeping record of transmission replacements
That's a little weird
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2008 - 03:38:52 PM »
Just to play devils advocate, the owners manual has a page dedicated to keeping record of transmission replacements
That's a little weird

:roflsmiley:

Ruh Roh!!!

Jeff

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2008 - 03:39:33 PM »
I got that info from a friend of mine who knows someone at Nissan (who that person at Nissan is I don't know), but they said that with the straight cut gears in the transmission that they need to be reground every 1500 miles and that there was a bunch of other things that are checked at that time and a lot of the fluids needed to be replaced. I believe the large portion of the 10k price comes from the transmission portion of the service. Apparently a fair amount of people right now are replacing the engine and transmission in the GT-R with parts from R-34 skylines because the parts are superior and cheaper to work with.

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2008 - 04:18:27 PM »
Hmm, that makes no sense to me at all.  First, gears can't be "regrinded" - the gear unit inside a manual transmission is usually a one-piece component.  And does this thing really have straight-cut gears??  Straight-cut gears are noisy as hell - this thing would sound like a rocket.  I'll have to look that up.  I suspect something was lost in the translation somewhere along the chain.

:dunno:

Jeff

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2008 - 04:25:31 PM »
I thought the whole idea behind straight cuts was the strength.... if used correctly virtually indestructable.....  :clueless:
I had a car once with a gearbox like that..... I just love the screaming roar  :drool:
*** Bart ***

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2008 - 04:43:39 PM »
I thought the whole idea behind straight cuts was the strength.... if used correctly virtually indestructable.....  :clueless:
I had a car once with a gearbox like that..... I just love the screaming roar  :drool:

Exactly.  Even heavy-duty truck transmissions don't have straight-cut gears and those trannys have to put up with waaaaaaayy more torque than a GT-R engine could put out.  Most are designed around inputs in excess of 1,500 lb-ft.  Even The Beast won't break 'em.  Plus, like Jeff said, they make a lot of noise.  Not the kind of thing you want on your $70,000 GT car. 
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2008 - 04:50:42 PM »
I found this info on the servicing of the GT-R so far, no info on interval for each of these but the total is 10k. Not sure how long the tires and brakes are good for, but I will bet those tires treated well are good for less than 10000 miles.

Schedule Point Check Maintenance: 5,000 JPY ($43 USD) - undertray multi point check
Car Inspection: 200,000 JPY ($1727 USD)
Oil Change: 25,000 JPY ($216 USD) - 100% synthetic oil
Oil + Oil Element Change: 29,000 JPY ($250 USD) - include oil cooler service + undertray multi point check
Transmission & Differential Oil Change: 100,000 JPY ($864 USD) - include undertray multi point check
Brake Pad Change (all 4): 400,000 JPY ($3500 USD) - pad change + rotor service
Tire Change (all 4): 460,000 JPY ($4000 USD) - specially developed 20" run flat tires

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2008 - 05:01:10 PM »
Follow the link I posted, that is the warranty booklet with all the service intervals. The intervals and prices in Japan (assuming since prices posted in Yen) will not be the same as for north america.

http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpubs/gtr/2009/2009_GTR_SMG.pdf

Your first oil change is at 6 months or 6000 miles
Your first trans and diff (F+R) oil change is at 18 months or 18000 miles whichever comes first

I don't know where the 10k figure came from but nothing adds up to that in a normal service. Even using a severe service schedule interval. :horse:

Back on topic - it's a neat car, some will like it, others won't. For those that choose to own one, more than likely they will be able to afford whatever maintenance is required for a high end car.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008 - 05:12:08 PM by ntstlgl1970 »

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2008 - 05:22:01 PM »
It did state that the brake pads need to be replaced every 12 months or 12k, that service alone is $3500.

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2008 - 05:33:14 PM »
It did state that the brake pads need to be replaced every 12 months or 12k, that service alone is $3500.

I though "ricer" was just a general term for any vehicle made in Asia. We used to call Japanese motorcycles "Rice grinders" clear back in the 70's.