Author Topic: I'd sell my left nut...  (Read 21772 times)

Offline jeryst

• Resident
Re: I'd sell my left nut...
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2008 - 09:02:14 PM »
How is this "crappy styling??"  I mean, it's basic, sure, but it's also from 1998 or so.

Just proved my point.  :stirpot:

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2008 - 09:12:09 PM »
That looks like a "James Bond" car.

No James Bond would never drive that piece of crap. Sorry, he is an Aston martin kind of guy, aside from the few BMW's and a couple of other Euro cars.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2008 - 09:07:45 AM »
I have reason to suspect that the new GT-R will give an Aston Martin a run for it's money.

I'm sorry torredcuda, but saying a car has crappy styling because it's of Japanese origin is ignorant.  I'm not trying to start an argument with you, but it's just close-minded.

Let me try to make some comparisons...
Japanese:

^- a Hybrid, by the way...

American:

We've got a....  weird...  Ford, a "looks like everything else" Cadillac, and a Saturn with funky headlights and tires.  Unfortunately, the Japanese carmakers are pushing the envelope with new ideas and strategies.  I'll tell you something else, too.  Type in "concept car" to Google, click images, and you'll have a real hard time finding American designs.  It's not hard to see why the big-3 aren't selling cars.
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2008 - 09:11:04 AM »
Not saying all the Japanese cars are crappy looking but that thing is "ricer" to me and I`ve not seen any ricers I really like the styling of.   Ricer=crappy looking ,not all Japanese cars=crappy looking.   :2thumbs:
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2008 - 09:15:24 AM »
Here's some more... ...unique...  ...Asian designs.

^- That's a Suzuki!!

^- notice the four-wheel steering.

Now - I'm not saying I WANT these cars, or even that I LIKE these cars, but they do one thing that none of our cars do - point forward.  They show us a progression from what is to what might be, what will be.  Chevy built an AWESOME Volt concept car...

and turned it into this...

Can't tell if it looks more like an Impala, an older Camry, a Civic...  Nice goin', GM.

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2008 - 09:20:57 AM »
Meanwhile, Nissan turned this:

...into this:

Looks like someone knows how to stick with a theme.  The GT-R concept was extremely popular.  So what did Nissan do?  They built the damned thing.  Volt was incredibly popular, what did GM do?  Well they...  they built something else instead.

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2008 - 09:33:42 AM »
And just oen more post...

THIS is a "Ricer:"

It commonly refers to cars that have had excessive amounts of time and money spent on it's looks, while having no attention spent on performance.  I cannot wait to eat into some rice this Spring...

THIS, on the otherhand, is a factory Mitsubishi Evo MR - a car that in stock trim would give MOST cars on this board a run for their money, UNTIL you put them on a road course...

...at which point that car would DECIMATE anything on this board, INCLUDING my Viper.  Those cars are WICKED.

Jeff

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2008 - 09:40:42 AM »
Sorry - one more.  We DID build one SWEET looking American Conceptual sports car - not even a concept, but a prototype.  This car would have completely redefined one of our favorite brands - this car was simply amazing.

But after 3 years of testing, after thousands of people stepped up with checks in hand, Chrysler decided, "Naaaaah."

I'd have given a lot more than my nuts for one of those.  That car rocked my world...

Jeff

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2008 - 09:53:58 AM »
Fun thread, Jeff!  I can appreciate the GT-R's performance also.  I'm in the northeast so the AWD would be a plus, but hey, can't afford it anyhows....

As far as sweet American concepts, don't for get this one that never made it to production.  Still saddens my heart to have thought what could've been a new Charger, 4 doors and all....   :-\

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2008 - 11:00:51 AM »
I'm sorry torredcuda, but saying a car has crappy styling because it's of Japanese origin is ignorant.  I'm not trying to start an argument with you, but it's just close-minded.

Styling doesnt have anyhting to do with ignorance or being cose-minded. Its all a matter of personal taste. Some like the design, some dont.

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2008 - 11:18:46 AM »
Styling doesnt have anyhting to do with ignorance or being cose-minded. Its all a matter of personal taste. Some like the design, some dont.

You're absolutely right.  My comment was more towards the blanket definition that "Rice (a term sometimes mistakingly used to describe ALL asian cars) = crappy styling."

It's no different then saying "women = crappy drivers."  It's a blanket stereotype that doesn't help anyone - that's all.  But I think the confusion between torredcuda and I has to do with the definition of "rice."  I realize it's a funny term invented by people who don't understand or appreciate the aftermarket industry.  We say "rice" because we first saw it with honda civics and mitsubishi eclipses, etc - cars made in Japan... ...where they grow rice...

But then what's this?

THAT, is crappy styling.  I'll gladly call it "rice," but it's a Chevy Cavalier...  (Look carefully - you can still barely make it out...)

That person needs to be dragged into a large intersection and beaten to death.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008 - 11:20:36 AM by ViperMan »

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2008 - 11:30:48 AM »
I have reason to suspect that the new GT-R will give an Aston Martin a run for it's money.

The GT-R is faster than an Aston Martin, however the Aston Martin is more reliable, cheaper on maintainance, more refined, and a better design. A lot of people are raving about the new GT-R and how awesome it is (Motor Trend and Automobile magazines car of the year), but no one is talking about all of the problems associated or costs with this car. It performs like a $300k sports car for only $80k, but no one says that its reliability is horrible and Nissan is trying to void the warranty every chance they can. The new GT-R was a great concept but poorly executed.

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2008 - 11:56:32 AM »
I haven't really studied the new one that well.  I guess you could say I'd prefer the "classic" Skyline over the modern.  I do look forward to seeing one in person.

Jeff

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2008 - 02:07:34 PM »
The "classic" skyline is way better than the new one. There are a fair amount of new GT-R's running around here. My wife sees one every day. I see them at least a couple times a week down here. It's not a bad looking car and definitely performs, but the price of maintainance is more than that of a Ferrari and breaks a lot. I think Nissan should have doubled the price on it and fixed a lot of their problems instead.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2008 - 02:21:29 PM »
I highly doubt the skyline costs more to service than a ferrari, unless you are talking about a crappy old 308 or Mondial or something. What source are you referring to that says they break a lot? Not to be argumentative, just curious.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....