Rack and Pinion Conversion

Author Topic: Rack and Pinion Conversion  (Read 4700 times)

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
Rack and Pinion Conversion
« on: May 11, 2004 - 09:27:52 AM »
Hey guys,
Has anyone out there converted to a rack and pinion steering setup? I know that there's a company making a tubular K-member setup and coil-over conversion kit and they include a rack setup, but I want to retain the stock torsion bars and K-member. Finding a rack with usable dimensions is probably pretty straightfoward and fabbing up mounts on the K member is probably straightfoward. I'm a bit concerned about clearing the torsion bars and mating the rack up with the steering column. Any thoughts?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re:Rack and Pinion Conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004 - 01:03:11 PM »
I have yet to find a properly made conversion , Alter K tion is the bst but not original , using a rck in the rear is not too difficult to do , the common reverse the spindles & put the rack in front doesn`t work as the tie rod end arm is shaped wrong for front steer & turns the outer tire harder than the inner & will scrub the tires off in no time street driving it

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004 - 03:39:29 PM »
From the research I have done, Psycho is right.  AlterKtion is the best way to go.  My understanding is that with other kits that use a tubular k-member, the bump steer and akerman ratio tend to not be suitable for high speed cornering.  I was told it was actually unsafe and really only meant for the drag strip.  Plus the coil over conversion puts stress on the inner fender that was not designed to handle it.  The tubular k-members also don't have engine mounts and "elephant ears" are required to mount your engine.  That too requires some re-inforcement.
Personally, I wouldn't think it would be hard to make just a rack and pinion conversion like you are looking for.  But it seems that people who really know suspension geometry it is harder than it sounds.

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004 - 06:50:26 PM »
It all sounds easy. Basically, you're just using a different mechanism to push the spindles around. The only geometrical difference that I can think of is that with a standard setup, the drag-link not only moves side to side, but it also moves forward and backward as it moves through an arc on the pitman arm.

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004 - 01:13:09 PM »
Hey Guys,
A call to AlterKtion netted a lot of great information! The owner is super helpful!

http://www.bigblockdart.com/alterktion/index.htm

He offers a very very nice bolt-in front suspension for the E-body (as well as A-body) that eliminates the torsion bars and uses a rack setup.

I'm going to pursue mounting a rack on the back side of the K member. I found out that going this route should not pose any nasty geometry problems, but it certainly won't open up any room behind the K member.

We'll see what happens.

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004 - 01:18:09 PM »
Good luck on the project and let us know your issues and results!  I am curious.  :)

Offline 73cuda383

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004 - 10:52:41 AM »
Try www.dareracing.com dave 219756dave. For street he can adapt it, but legally he can't, so you tell him it's for racing only "wink, wink" and it will be done to K-frame and rack is attached ;)
Or www.magnumforceracing.com, but I'm not sure its street legal. With thier kit there is alot more to it. (spindles, brakes, coilovers) so Dave's kit is probably what you want.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004 - 10:59:49 AM by 73cuda383 »

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004 - 12:32:14 AM »
Try www.dareracing.com dave 219756dave. For street he can adapt it, but legally he can't, so you tell him it's for racing only "wink, wink" and it will be done to K-frame and rack is attached ;)
Or www.magnumforceracing.com, but I'm not sure its street legal. With thier kit there is alot more to it. (spindles, brakes, coilovers) so Dave's kit is probably what you want.

If you value turning at all, don't use any of the above; i.e. drag strip race only.

But why spend more money on something so limited?  Get the Alterkation:  http://www.bigblockdart.com/alterktion/index.shtml

'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline hemi-5.7-cuda

Re: Rack and Pinion Conversion
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005 - 12:03:41 AM »
Steve   :iagree:

How did it work out?  Did you mount the rack and pinion using the original K frame?  I am in the process of doing this. I compairing an after market  rack and pinion set up for a 55 Shevy. Its a rear stear.

Thanks

Hemi 5.7   :thumbs:   :drool: