Author Topic: Now considering an SRT-10, any thoughts?  (Read 13610 times)

Offline hemi71

• Resident
Now considering an SRT-10, any thoughts?
« on: December 11, 2008 - 10:11:28 PM »
If you saw my earlier post, i was looking at a SRT-4 Neon, but that car went for more than i was willing to pay. I was looking at SRT-10 Ram's, and I've driven one before, so I know how they drive and it was a fun truck. Any body have any experience with em, any other owners on here?

Here is the truck I'm considering

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190272776526&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT&viewitem=

Offline go-fish

• Resident
Re: Now considering an SRT-10, any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008 - 10:22:44 PM »
Wow, tat's two totally diferent rides. What are you desires in this purchase? Something that has the letters S-R- and T and has an even number following it?

BTW, get the truck but do the exhaust the right way, tailpipes on both sides. Then color key the mirrors and door handles. They also look alot better with all the badges except "SRT-10" off.

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008 - 10:27:57 PM »
Looks like the driver wet himself as evidenced from the seat bottom. :roflsmiley:

I bet you can find a good deal on a lower mileage SRT10 than that one.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008 - 10:34:43 PM »
Wow, tat's two totally diferent rides. What are you desires in this purchase? Something that has the letters S-R- and T and has an even number following it?

BTW, get the truck but do the exhaust the right way, tailpipes on both sides. Then color key the mirrors and door handles. They also look alot better with all the badges except "SRT-10" off.

i want to pick up a later model mopar, was thinkin i was going to order a new challenger, but after taking out the cuda droptop last weekend, i dont want to sell the cuda, so the challenger is out for now. So it's either a neon SRT-4 or a Ram SRT-10, and after thinking about it a bit, I'd prefer the V-10 over the turbo 4.

I've been talking to the dealer, i have them down on the $$ quite a bit on that truck

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008 - 10:52:09 PM »
...I have a 2005 Ram SRT10.....I'm not a truck guy, I just bought mine to use as a truck....I haul gardening stuff in it every spring....it runs great, likes gas (9-10 mpg), has VERY touchy brakes and goes like HE11...it is a real handfull, but it corners well for a truck, a heavy truck at that

...mine has about 4K miles and I would sell it, but as cheap as they have become, I can't replace it with a regular truck for the same $$$, so I just keep hauling crap in it...luckily, I got mine on a close out sale a few years ago, MSRP $48K, bought it for $31K new

...last year at W-Mart, I was loading 30-40 bags of mulch in the SRT10, and the kid helping me said, " sir, do you know what kind of truck you have here"....I said  "yes, I know what it is, it's the fastest gardening truck I have ever owned"...his eyes popped out when I showed him the Viper V10 under the hood
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008 - 10:54:19 PM by DAYTONA »

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008 - 10:59:06 PM »
Daytona, I'll take that one off your hands...they are making good deals on new rams from what i hear....LOL

:thumbsup:

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008 - 11:43:55 PM »
Daytona, I'll take that one off your hands...they are making good deals on new rams from what i hear....LOL

:thumbsup:

...you would have to return every spring and help me haul mulch :roflsmiley:...I only drive it a few weeks a year, the rest of the time it sits in the "home" detailed and plugged in beside the Challengers

Offline lumpy

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008 - 11:57:56 PM »
Looks nice, miles dont' seem too bad. I would be sure to do a Carfax on it and probably have it inspected by another dealer. Are you close to the truck, so you can see it in person? Glad to here that you are keeping the 'Cuda :2thumbs:

Offline JeffAARy

• Orange Mopars Drive Me Wild
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008 - 10:51:04 AM »
You may recall that I had an SRT-4 up until August last year.  It was the best/most fun car I've ever owned, but I got t-boned and decided I wanted something bigger/safer for my family.  I almost bought an SRT-10 Ram, but I'm a car guy and went with the SRT-8 Charger Super Bee instead.  The truck just wasn't as fun to drive, it wouldn't fit in my garage, and the gas was ridiculous.  It probably would have been the safest SRT for my family, though.  Driving enjoyment and bang-for-the-buck, the SRT-4 to me is the easy choice.  Safety/functionality, SRT-10 Ram.  Best overall compromise, Charger SRT-8. 

There's also the SRT-8 Grand Cherokee to consider.  Because of it's AWD, it is the quickest SRT-8.  In fact, the SRT-8 GC is the quickest stock Mopar other than the Viper.

BTW, you can buy an SRT-4 for about $10k, drop another 5K in it and eat stock Vipers all day long.  No amount of money will help the Ram overcome it's 2-1/2 ton weight and 20 ft length and handle better.

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008 - 11:26:34 AM »
What about an SRT8 Charger?  Granted you're stuck with an automatic (MAN what were they thinking?!) but 9 to 10 miles per gallon!!!!   :scared:

Even I couldn't tolerate filling that up all the time.  At least the Viper gets 13-or-so in the city, and 21 on the highway.  Eee-gads...
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline 73challenger_TN

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008 - 12:05:24 PM »
Keisler has a kit to change the charger to a 6 speed I believe.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008 - 02:43:28 PM »

I own one. 06 RC Night Runner Edition, now completely modified and known as "THE BATRAM". :thumbsup: You know how fun they are so that is cool. 2004's are the no frills year for these trucks. The truck they set the record in. No auto quad cabs, etc. 05 saw few minor exterior/interior changes and of course the quad cab version. 2006 was a new design. New headlights, badging and other changes but a whole new interior with a lot more creature comforts and cubby holes. You can pick up some real good bargains now, it's not even funny lol. I'm on the VTCOA Forum (same user name), great guys, good info and lots for sale, may want to do some research over there if you are serious. Here is my truck, 1 before shot how I got it and a couple of how it looks now.

Good luck with your decision, keep us posted. :2thumbs:

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008 - 08:24:22 PM »
Thanks for the tip Carl, i registered over there but cant post yet, i guess my account is not activated yet.

I have a couple of trucks I'm looking at...I want a red truck with minimal mods, year does not mean that much to me. Like to keep the $$ somewhere around/less than 20K.

I dont care about the gas mileage, this is going to be a playtoy, I have 3 Daily drivers right now.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008 - 08:30:40 PM »
After looking at all the used SRT cars for sale right now if I were going to get something I would get the Jeep. It is safe for the family, has lots of gadgets to play with and probably gets quite a bit better gas mileage than the truck. The only thing imo that the truck has on the Jeep is the manual trans. I love to shift my own gears. Good luck with the quest, you should get a helluva deal right now.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008 - 08:34:21 PM »
Man,
Carl I love your truck, that thing looks EVIL!!!!! :grinyes:
Matt