Author Topic: Now considering an SRT-10, any thoughts?  (Read 13588 times)

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
Re: Now considering an SRT-10, any thoughts?
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2008 - 10:24:05 AM »
With only 6k on the odo seems like you have plenty of time before having to upgrade the clutch and slave cylinder right?    :dunno:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2008 - 11:20:17 AM »
Seems to work fine right now, no issues so far. Drove it home about 30 miles yesterday, then a quick trip out last nite before the ice storm hit.

I'll check it out and see if it's been done. Not going to be a priority for me unless it gives trouble. The idea with this thing is to drive it on nice days, take an occasional trip, and not get carried away with $$ into modifiying it. If i want to spend $$, it will be on putting a hemi into the droptop.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2008 - 03:28:08 PM »
With only 6k on the odo seems like you have plenty of time before having to upgrade the clutch and slave cylinder right?    :dunno:

Seems to work fine right now, no issues so far. Drove it home about 30 miles yesterday, then a quick trip out last nite before the ice storm hit.

I'll check it out and see if it's been done. Not going to be a priority for me unless it gives trouble. The idea with this thing is to drive it on nice days, take an occasional trip, and not get carried away with $$ into modifiying it. If i want to spend $$, it will be on putting a hemi into the droptop.

Trust me, it's a must do for these trucks. I've been on the VTCOA forum for well over a year now and this topic comes up several times a month. Same problem, same fix. It maybe OK now but it will eventually go and when it does you don't want to be far from home and although it's "OK" now when it's done the differences are very noticeable. The stock clutch set up feels very weak vs. the power of the truck. It's like using a VW Beetle clutch for 2.3 tonnes and 500hp of MoPar truck. That's why the full kit with centre force is advised.

80% of people not getting into gear, having clutch issues, heavy shifting, missing gears, floppy clutch pedals, etc, etc is to do with the clutch master slave and hydraulic set up. Everyone is advised and pushed to get the Viper "grade" set up, it's heavy duty. If it wasn't so a concern or issue with these trucks I wouldn't have mentioned it, just trying to help you out. It's not a mod as such but a factory fault fix.

:thumbsup:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2008 - 03:30:59 PM »
Why do the trucks have a different clutch setup than the Viper? Seems kinda silly to put all that torque in a truck and then wimp out on the clutch  :clueless:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Finoke

« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2008 - 03:32:03 PM »
I have to start a new thread tomorrow after i take some pics...bought a 05 SRT-10 with 6k original miles on it, got a 6 year 36K mile extended warranty thrown in. Truck has some mild mods, runs great and is in excellent condition...garage kept.

Congrats Larry! I can't wait to see it!!!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2008 - 03:37:04 PM »
Why do the trucks have a different clutch setup than the Viper? Seems kinda silly to put all that torque in a truck and then wimp out on the clutch  :clueless:

All SRT/10 truck owners ask themselves the same thing! :dunno: It's more so the hydraulics/master slave, the stock clutch isn't a "necessity" but if you're doing the upgrade 9/10 people will tell you to do the clutch as well and once done it's very noticeable. Gives the truck it's bite and performance clutch feel that the factory didn't. Unlike for our E-Bodies, Center Force is recommended on the truck forum. I have the kit and it's a blast to drive.
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60