Author Topic: how many on here own a Gran Coupe?  (Read 58128 times)

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
Re: how many on here own a Gran Coupe?
« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2011 - 11:11:24 PM »

Time for a bump  :)

Offline 472 R/T SE

« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2011 - 02:38:00 AM »
That's a good lookin' blue.   :thumbsup:  Nice job.
HELP SUPPORT THE REGISTRIES because all cars matter.

I like to sleep For I'm walking in my dreams.
Live life like every DAY is your last!

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
« Reply #107 on: March 04, 2011 - 01:25:05 AM »
Hello Mopar Guys
Gran Coupe Barracuda Convertible

I am new to the site and have read your articles regarding the Barracuda Gran Coupe. We have owned a AAR Cuda since 1985 and a 1970 Gran Coupe Convertible. On the question about the rear tail panel with the chrome outside or inside the rear.  My GC Convertible has the chrome trim inside the tail panel. My GC was ordered by the dealer with a Y-13 code.  Meaning a dealer demo. Where the dealer ordered the GC Convertible with every option available to promote the new style E-Body for 1970. Many dealer owners would purchase (order) the car for themselves. There are many websites to search. http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31 this site is great to search codes.
Chrysler assembly lines were a disaster when the new body changes went into operation. Parts, colors, vin numbers were sometimes installed on the wrong bodys. The Gran Coupe is a Glorified Cuda. It was created for the yes, ladies, as was the Challenger SE. The 383 2 barrel was standard. Ours is 1 of 66 made with the 383 4 barrel 335 HP w/HD 727 transmission. The Luggage rack was removed by previous owner, replaced with spoiler and hockey stick. Some of the options, a rallye dash, am 8 track, rim blow steering wheel, 6 way seat, A/C, PW,PDisc brakes, Trailer package once removed, why go on it has almost every option even a locking gas cap on build sheet.. Back in the days when you could go to the car dealer and sit with a salesman and choose the options, color, engine, etc you wanted on your car... Hope to join you all in more discussions.
Regards Jeff AARuFAST

////////////  CUDA AAR
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011 - 10:37:20 PM by AARuFAST »
1970 AAR Cuda
1970 Gran Coupe Ragtop. 1 of 66
Gran Cpe Convertible 1 yr only.

" I Want to Ride "

" I tried to be normal once...
it was the most boring
2 minutes of my life!!!!"

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2011 - 01:00:45 PM »
Jeff,

Wow!  that sounds like a fantastic car!  would love to see some pic's too!  I have seen several GC's with the 4 piece ('cuda) tail panel trim.  I believe they were both LA build cars.  who knows, maybe they ran short of the 3-piece set up & used what was available??

My first GC (BP27N0B294308 - maybe somebody knows where it's at these days) was like yours: A/C, PW, PDB, 8-track, 6-way seat, performance hood & pins, FC7 & P6XW.  I sold it in a fit of stupidity some 25 years ago when i was a poor college student, and couldn't afford to restore it.

but i think i will be pretty happy with this one.  plans are to fire it up tomorrow if all goes well, and if not, then next saturday.

I'll have to take exception that it was built for ladies (marketed to, maybe yes).   :poopoke:

And I dont' think that there is any doubt about that now:

(But my wife insists that she gets a turn behind the wheel!)

Offline A93

« Reply #109 on: March 04, 2011 - 03:05:51 PM »
Hello Mopar Guys

I am new to the site and have read your articles regarding the Barracuda Gran Coupe. We have owned a AAR Cuda since 1985 and a 1970 Gran Coupe Convertible. On the question about the rear tail panel with the chrome outside or inside the rear.  My GC Convertible has the chrome trim inside the tail panel. My GC was ordered by the dealer with a Y-13 code.  Meaning a dealer demo. Where the dealer ordered the GC Convertible with every option available to promote the new style E-Body for 1970. Many dealer owners would purchase (order) the car for themselves. There are many websites to search. http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31 this site is great to search codes.
Chrysler assembly lines were a disaster when the new body changes went into operation. Parts, colors, vin numbers were sometimes installed on the wrong bodys. The Gran Coupe is a Glorified Cuda. It was created for the yes, ladies, as was the Challenger SE. The 383 2 barrel was standard. Ours is 1 of 66 made with the 383 4 barrel 335 HP w/HD 727 transmission. The Luggage rack was removed by previous owner, replaced with spoiler and hockey stick. Some of the options, a rallye dash, am 8 track, rim blow steering wheel, 6 way seat, A/C, PW,PDisc brakes, why go on it has every option even a locking gas cap on build sheet.. Back in the days when you could go to the car dealer and sit with a salesman and choose the options, color, engine, etc you wanted on your car... Hope to join you all in more discussions.
Regards Jeff AARuFAST

////////////  CUDA AAR

Jeff:  Does your car come equipped with the A22 code? Front and rear rubber bumpers? Please post some pictures of said vehicle! I have a 70 383+4 four speed Gran Coupe convertible, it doesn't have every option, but does have a rallye dash and front rubber bumper, among the options.

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
« Reply #110 on: March 04, 2011 - 05:16:02 PM »
A93
Gran Coupe Barracuda
No Rubber bumpers.  The previous owner had the front bumper but he needed cash and sold it.
This is a Ca. car built at the LA plant. I'm thinking the first new E-body cars off the assembly line were produced with only the thin trim chrome on the rear panel. Maybe later to separate the Barracuda from the Cuda
they produced the wide trim outer panel chrome...I haven't seen many 6 cyl or 318 Barracuda's with the thin trim on tail panel... size]
click on to view Gran Coupe  click here to view>>>   (http://s612.photobucket.com/albums/tt201/AARuFAST/?albumview=slideshow)
////////////  CUDA AAR
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011 - 10:41:46 PM by AARuFAST »
1970 AAR Cuda

" I Want to Ride "

it was the most boring

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #111 on: March 04, 2011 - 08:02:53 PM »
I tried to attach photo's but I get an error photo to large must be 300kb

yeah, i had that problem too early on, until i was "tutored" here at cuda-challenger.com on the use of photobucket.  it's great!

Jeff, your GC is really nice!!    :thumbsup:

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
« Reply #112 on: March 04, 2011 - 09:13:47 PM »
yeah, i had that problem too early on, until i was "tutored" here at cuda-challenger.com on the use of photobucket.  it's great!

Jeff, your GC is really nice!!    :thumbsup:

Thanks for the thumbs up. Your GC is looking good, like the blue. Lot of work getting a K frame to support the 440. Do you have a anti-sway bar? My son is restoring a Barracuda and he has dropped in a 440. When it is finished will post photo's.   What I like having power disc brakes. Makes stopping the big block HP safer. I use Photobucket, so I guess I post my photo's from it then,
click on to view    http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt201/AARuFAST/granoriginal.jpg   I guess I should log in as a newbie.

///////////   CUDA AAR
1970 AAR Cuda

" I Want to Ride "

it was the most boring

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #113 on: March 04, 2011 - 10:52:22 PM »
Is your son's car 'Petty Blue'?  looks good with the white hockey stick!  i am adding hockey sticks, rear spoiler, and fog lamps, like you have. 

I upgraded the suspension to 440 specs: bigger torsion bars, HD rear springs, front sway bar, & power disc brakes.  i also added a rear sway bar and sub frame connectors.  i lightened the motor a bit also with aluminum intake, water pump & housing, and a sanden compressor.  i put my $ to that rather than make gobs of HP.  with a stock '70 grind cam, i figure that torque and decent handling go a long way to make it more fun! 

here's my album:
http://s920.photobucket.com/home/eb3-grancoupe

i need to upload pictures from last weekend.  the hood is on, the stripes and spoiler are on, and the front seats are in.  tomorrow we start testing the electrical systems!   :jumping:

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2011 - 11:29:38 PM »
EB3

////////////  CUDA AAR
Yes, my sons recent Barracuda was Petty Blue, he is changing the color a sassy grass metalic and interior to white  Don't you just love the matching color combination interior and exterior.  I love the B5 and B7 colors.  You are going to have some sweet ride when it is completed.  I got over cabin fever last week when I had the GC convertible out.  Salt is gone from the roads......... live in Maryland.

Gran Coupe Barracuda
1970 AAR Cuda

" I Want to Ride "

it was the most boring

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2011 - 11:37:57 PM »
hey E3B

Gran Coupe Barracuda

Check out the newbie paintitblack. He just posted his car it is a Gran Coupe cloned into an AAR. It has the thin trim chrome tail panel.
He says it was a 318 GC. I'm not fond of AAR clones if they want to clone an AAR it should be against the law to allow the aar badge on the end of the stripe...
  ////////////  CUDA AAR
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011 - 11:42:03 PM by AARuFAST »
1970 AAR Cuda

" I Want to Ride "

it was the most boring

Offline A93

« Reply #116 on: March 05, 2011 - 02:13:38 AM »
A93
Gran Coupe Barracuda
No Rubber bumpers.  The previous owner had the front bumper but he needed cash and sold it.
This is a Ca. car built at the LA plant. I'm thinking the first new E-body cars off the assembly line (my built day is 9-2-69)
were produced with only the thin trim chrome on the rear panel. Maybe later to separate the Barracuda from the Cuda
they produced the wide trim outer panel chrome...I haven't seen many 6 cyl or 318 Barracuda's with the thin trim on tail panel..
I tried to attach photo's but I get an error photo to large must be 300kb. I have small photo's. Everyone I see on the sight are larger than mine.[/size]
click on to view Gran Coupe(http://s612.photobucket.com/albums/tt201/AARuFAST/?albumview=slideshow)
////////////  CUDA AAR

The Los Angeles plant did not build convertibles, only hardtops. As far as the thin stainless trim on the tail panels goes, it would only have been available with the A22 option, and then only with FE5 as the color of the car, at least in the early days of production, and 9 2 69 would definitely fall into that time period.   The A22 code with FE5 paint would have BOTH the thin stainless and the wider aluminum trim on the tail panel. If your cars fender tag is BP27N0E, then someone has monkeyed with your fender tag and VIN tag. The E would have to be a B as convertible E bodies were only built in Hamtramck in 1970.

Offline TorOrange

• Resident
« Reply #117 on: March 05, 2011 - 03:13:40 AM »

Check out the newbie paintitblack. He just posted his car it is a Gran Coupe cloned into an AAR. It has the thin trim chrome tail panel.
He says it was a 318 GC. I'm not fond of AAR clones if they want to clone an AAR it should be against the law to allow the aar badge on the end of the stripe...

Most don't  see anything wrong with cloning, as long as you don't go and try to sell it off as what it isn't.
WANTED 71 cuda / barracuda project. Prefer Black but open.

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
« Reply #118 on: March 05, 2011 - 11:32:08 AM »
To A93
///////////   CUDA AAR
Made mistake please forgive me. My Gran Coupe was made at the Hamtramck Plant. As for the tail panel trim. I have seen cheap Barracuda's with the thin inner chrome.  Look at Paintitblack an newbie with a cloned Gran Coupe into an AAR.  As in our local Mopar club there are a lot of know it alls that don't know it all.  Build sheets are the record of the car but they are not always correct.  As I said, Chrysler's assembly line was a disaster when it came to assemblying cars. Wrong parts, wrong vin codes.

Gran Coupe Barracuda
1970 AAR Cuda

" I Want to Ride "

it was the most boring

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #119 on: March 05, 2011 - 12:44:15 PM »
Boy that looks great I still have to return my panel to argent.

Here was the tag on my GC

END
   J25 M21 M25 M31 R11 VSW
   FK5 A04 026 055 G31 G33
   FK5 PRX9 000 B11 ------
   E44 031 BP23 GOB ------

She was a Deep burnt orange turning her Fj5 , Black interior, GC wood Non Ralleye Guages, 318 / 904 / 3 on the tree, cruise control not sure what the rest was but she was assembled in LA I tink she has the 3 piece trunk panel trim. I am not as far as you but i should be close this summer to running the 69' 440 , 4-speed, 8 3/4 391 posi , all heavy suspension , front disk brakes , front rear sway bars, front rear torque boxes. dual snorkel air cleaner like yours but black wrinkled. I cannot wait to see her run. will add hood pins and a go-wing later. But she will stay Gran Coupe on the outside all trim and rocker will stay GC including badgings. Will keep overhead console, but will not add lower console just 4-speed stick out of the floor.