Author Topic: how many on here own a Gran Coupe?  (Read 58142 times)

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
Re: how many on here own a Gran Coupe?
« Reply #165 on: November 23, 2011 - 08:51:16 PM »
Wow, what a  transformation and at a quick pace too! Looking really good!! It kinda had tha start of the 80's funk look to it when you found it. :cooldancing:

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #166 on: November 23, 2011 - 10:01:59 PM »
What distinguishes a Gran Coupe from a regular Barracuda? Is it like a 'luxury' version?
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline DoNotChallengeHer

• Resident
  • Drive It Like You Stole It !
« Reply #167 on: November 23, 2011 - 10:29:58 PM »
What distinguishes a Gran Coupe from a regular Barracuda? Is it like a 'luxury' version?
pretty much.  :2thumbs:

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #168 on: November 23, 2011 - 10:53:39 PM »
Yeah, they called em Premium' price editions. Buyers payed a little more for them than the standard barracuda.

Offline Benji

« Reply #169 on: November 26, 2011 - 10:34:20 AM »
I bought a new GC Barracuda in 1970 from Poinsatte Chrysler Plymouth in Fort Wayne, Indiana. It was pale yellow in color with a black vinyl top, gold upholstery and a 318 auto.  I put a 340 4 V, a 727 and an 8 3/4 diff in it back in the day then painted it black.

We GC owners have something to brag about.  The very first hemi powered Barracuda (car # 003) was a white BP23 1970 Gran Coupe sold by the same dealer I bought my GC from.  I have seen the car as it is now at the National Automotive and Truck Museum in Auburn, Indiana.  According to this article http://www.angelfire.com/id/newssection/1hemi.html the car was "reconfigured and tagged as a BS23 when reassembled.

The current owner is a barber in Fort Wayne who was told the car was torn apart and reassembled by Chrysler so a time/rate manual could be made for the hemi cudas.  Supposedly it was not to be sold due to its unusual beginning but it was.

Benji

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #170 on: November 26, 2011 - 11:03:55 AM »
Yeah , I read about the white GC hemi 003 in mopar muscle mag. I cannot get into link to the site you posted my Firewall antivirus says it is a suspicious site.

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #171 on: November 26, 2011 - 05:30:07 PM »
Yeah , I read about the white GC hemi 003 in mopar muscle mag. I cannot get into link to the site you posted my Firewall antivirus says it is a suspicious site.
If it helps, I went to the site and no malicious things happened. So if you click on the link and override your antivirus program, you should be ok.

Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline Gus cuda

« Reply #172 on: December 03, 2011 - 02:03:54 PM »
Hello to all you gc owners! I just found the thread and am wanting to join this rare and unique group. Actually i did a couple months ago. I found a 70 gc vert, f6 in color with a black top and black interior. My car started life as a 318 auto but now has a 68 440 in it to go with the auto trans. She is by no means perfect, but it did clean up very well and is a very good looking driver. The car has leather front buckets, but a vinal rear. Is that right? It is an a/c car. Previous owner added a shaker hood with pins. I see that some people pick your car apart sometimes at shows. That is very dissapointing because just to have one of these cars is a lifelong dream and i would not take that very well! Not everybody can have or even wants a $100k showcar! Anyhow i have registerd in your poll and will be watching this thread. Good day to all.

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
« Reply #173 on: December 03, 2011 - 07:07:08 PM »
Hello to all you gc owners! I just found the thread and am wanting to join this rare and unique group. Actually i did a couple months ago. I found a 70 gc vert, f6 in color with a black top and black interior. My car started life as a 318 auto but now has a 68 440 in it to go with the auto trans. She is by no means perfect, but it did clean up very well and is a very good looking driver. The car has leather front buckets, but a vinal rear. Is that right? It is an a/c car. Previous owner added a shaker hood with pins. I see that some people pick your car apart sometimes at shows. That is very dissapointing because just to have one of these cars is a lifelong dream and i would not take that very well! Not everybody can have or even wants a $100k showcar! Anyhow i have registerd in your poll and will be watching this thread. Good day to all.

Welcome aboard.  I have a Gran Coupe Convertible also.
Thnxs for posting your ride in the Poll.
Waiting for more members to enter their rides in the Poll Members Ratio Barra-Cuda Challenger below the Calendar posting.
I'm assuming that is the poll ur referring too. Where you select the year, Model, engine.
Lets see some pix of your ride.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2011 - 10:45:32 PM by AARuFAST »
1970 AAR Cuda
1970 Gran Coupe Ragtop. 1 of 66
Gran Cpe Convertible 1 yr only.

" I Want to Ride "

" I tried to be normal once...
it was the most boring
2 minutes of my life!!!!"

Offline Gus cuda

« Reply #174 on: December 04, 2011 - 02:46:00 AM »
Hi aarufast, yes i have posted in that poll plus ive posted in th gc registry. I see you are from MD also, i live in Hancock. By reading your posts it seems you know your way around these cars. In the future i may pick your brain as to any good shops to do some future improvements. I will try to get some pics up on this thread as soon as possible.   Gus

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
« Reply #175 on: December 11, 2011 - 11:45:18 AM »
Hi everyone, it's been a while. I've been busy with the wife,kids,traveling and haven't had much time for mopars, but it will always be in my blood.
Three things I can't believe
1. This thread is still alive after 2 years since I posted it,lol
2. My GC still needs to be reassembled,lol, got everything new just waiting for the time/ enthusiasm/ kids off to college(very soon now)
3. How few GC,s are left out there, it has to be among the rarest
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #176 on: December 11, 2011 - 02:49:29 PM »
Glad yer back and I love this thread, I am sure GC are one rare fish!!  I am now trying to fab the clips that hold the rockers moldings on with sheet metal and plastic clip nuts for the screws so they will look close to the origionals. Maybe they will be a bit stronger and last longer than the origionals and look similar too. Wifey said i have to wait a bit before I can buy anymore parts. I am not rocking the boat and will wait a while.

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #177 on: December 11, 2011 - 04:55:36 PM »
I tried fabricating my own clips, before i found those ones at the Garlits show.  I used hard, flexible plastic (like an old credit card) and cut it down to a hair over 2.5 inches.  for the retainer, i went to Lowes, and found what the call nylon rivets.  i think 3/8 is the size i used.  you may have to knock of a small part of the retainer that goes into the rocker hole.  but it should fit pretty snug.  let me know if you need the lowes part number, i still have everything i was going to use.

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #178 on: December 11, 2011 - 05:12:24 PM »
I tried fabricating my own clips, before i found those ones at the Garlits show.  I used hard, flexible plastic (like an old credit card) and cut it down to a hair over 2.5 inches.  for the retainer, i went to Lowes, and found what the call nylon rivets.  i think 3/8 is the size i used.  you may have to knock of a small part of the retainer that goes into the rocker hole.  but it should fit pretty snug.  let me know if you need the lowes part number, i still have everything i was going to use.

I will take a look into those rivets, I went to true value bought some thin sheetmetal stock for the the offset hourglass retainers clips will notch them to fit around the plastic snap fittings which will have to be filed down a bit. Hopefully they wont break when I drive in the screws,... those rivets may be better. Will save for the next weekend off project , just changed the oil in all 3 rigs and now I am gonna go shopping with the sweetheart. I was just at lowes yesterday and bought a new toilet and faucet. Installed them this morning. I hope I did not tick off the Lord doing so much work on his day!!

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #179 on: December 11, 2011 - 08:24:14 PM »
Hi everyone, it's been a while. I've been busy with the wife,kids,traveling and haven't had much time for mopars, but it will always be in my blood.
Three things I can't believe
1. This thread is still alive after 2 years since I posted it,lol
2. My GC still needs to be reassembled,lol, got everything new just waiting for the time/ enthusiasm/ kids off to college(very soon now)
3. How few GC,s are left out there, it has to be among the rarest

Funny thing I was looking at the members restoration section, way back at the first page and caught your thread.  Checked your photos and saw the last one was '07 and the car was painted ready to go.  I'm looking forward to seeing some progress!