Author Topic: Brake Pedal Sticks Out Too Far For My Liking  (Read 2701 times)

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
Brake Pedal Sticks Out Too Far For My Liking
« on: December 12, 2008 - 07:06:12 PM »
I was out driving my relatively new (to me) 1970 Barracuda yesterday in the rain.  Well I was bringing it back from the shop... I had to go from the gas to the brake fast and my shoe hit the side of the brake pedal.  This was not cool as my foot was closer to sliding under the brake pedal than going over it!  :22yikes: It has been well over a decade since I've been in the drivers seat of one of these beauty's.  If there is any difference to the alignment of yester-years gas/brake pedals versus today's, then I am one who is taking notice.

But I am wondering if my gas pedal is too low or the brake pedal is too high?  The master cylinder has been replaced and the carb' & intake manifold have been off of the car.  Also, all new kick down linkage with a new neutral safety switch have been installed.  Plus the fact that this vehicle is 38 years old and only God knows all that has been done to it.

Does anyone have instructions for me to address this issue before I crash & burn?  :popcorn:
HIS: '68 GMC 3/4 ton pick-up truck, '73 Barracuda, '87 Firebird, '01 Jeep Cherokee and finally a '70 Barracuda Convertible!
HERS: 1980 Toyota Starlet, 1995 SAAB 9-5 and then '01 SAAB 9-3 and currently '08 Saab 9-3 convertible!
NEXT IS MINE: purple 2010 Dodge Challenger!!!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Brake Pedal Sticks Out Too Far For My Liking
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008 - 07:19:42 PM »
Back in the day, that is normal. They didn't want you to accidently hit the gas, when going for the brake. Back then, you knew to raise up your foot some.   :grinyes: Your car is fine. Mine is that way. Your driving technique needs to be set back to 1970.  :lol:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 6packCuda

• Eagle, NE... Member since 11/17/06
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008 - 07:24:20 PM »
It took me a while to get used to that too.
Dave

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008 - 07:32:18 PM »
 :lol: That sucks cause I want my wife to be able to jump in this car, go and be comfortable.  Since she has no experience with these vehicles, that will make her uneasy and hesitant to drive it.

I may have to figure a way to alter the pedal assembly to modern day specifications.
TIME TO GET THE TORCH OUT!!!  :bricks1:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008 - 07:37:24 PM by joltinjoe »
HIS: '68 GMC 3/4 ton pick-up truck, '73 Barracuda, '87 Firebird, '01 Jeep Cherokee and finally a '70 Barracuda Convertible!
HERS: 1980 Toyota Starlet, 1995 SAAB 9-5 and then '01 SAAB 9-3 and currently '08 Saab 9-3 convertible!

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008 - 07:37:24 PM »
adjustable pushrod can get it lower. But you want to make sure you are getting full travel.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008 - 07:38:53 PM »
adjustable pushrod can get it lower. But you want to make sure you are getting full travel.

Any ideas about raising the gas pedal?

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008 - 08:31:02 PM »
Don't look for trouble, once you get used to it and you'll be fine...
Think of it as a whole new driving experience..

Hey,  if you don't want the Conv't I'll take it.... ;)
Vin...................

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008 - 08:33:45 PM »
I have always had e body cars since the late 70's. So the pedal location is normal to me.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008 - 10:00:01 PM »
often you can raise the the gas pedal by adjusting the cable housing back away from the carb , you could also bend the pedal slightly upwards to level the pedal somewhat 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline duodec

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008 - 12:59:43 AM »
Didn't they used to make a blocks that could be attached to the pedals for vertically challenged folks who otherwise could not reach them?  I can't imagine it would be too hard to set up a block of wood, or shims of poly (like cutting board material) to space out the front of the gas pedal.  Though I don't know what the safety implications might be either...

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008 - 01:14:50 AM »
Didn't they used to make a blocks that could be attached to the pedals for vertically challenged folks who otherwise could not reach them?  I can't imagine it would be too hard to set up a block of wood, or shims of poly (like cutting board material) to space out the front of the gas pedal.  Though I don't know what the safety implications might be either...

Now that sounds like something that I'd be interested in: an original Chryco part... Anyone have further information on this?!?!  :popcorn:

Offline duodec

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008 - 01:43:23 AM »
I don't know if they were Chrysler accessories, or just aftermarket.  I just remember seeing them in some catalogs 25+ years ago when I worked at the parts store.

Samples for handicapped:  http://www.auto-handcontrols.com/page2.htm

or

http://www.pedalextenders.net/?gclid=COmTgdaBwpcCFQNHFQodbAJLSQ

(No connection to or experience with either...).

What I remember seeing were really more like a leaf spring drop spacer; either a square tubing section about 6" long, or a cast aluminum block that attached to the face of the pedal and had a ribbed surface or the ability to accept a rubber pad.

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008 - 06:57:26 PM »
You could make a .25" spacer to go between the master cylinder and fire wall.  With the 5 to 1  pedal ratio that would lower your pedal a little over an inch.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008 - 07:35:33 PM »
You could make a .25" spacer to go between the master cylinder and fire wall.  With the 5 to 1  pedal ratio that would lower your pedal a little over an inch.

I was always curious if the conversion M/C mount, going from 4 bolt to 2 bolt would lower the pedal?  Doesn't this effectively add a spacer like you suggest?

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008 - 08:32:10 PM »
  I was always curious if the conversion M/C mount, going from 4 bolt to 2 bolt would lower the pedal?  Doesn't this effectively add a spacer like you suggest?

I found a Master Cylinder Adapter: P5249315 on page 146 of the 2009 Mopar Performance Catalog for $37.00.  It converts from four stud to two stud.  Is this what you are referring too?