Author Topic: Tie Rod Sleeve - Which way to adjust?  (Read 1105 times)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Tie Rod Sleeve - Which way to adjust?
« on: December 13, 2008 - 03:44:38 PM »
I've asked this before and I couldn't find the answer on a search, so I'm guessing that the answer got lost in one of the purges. When adjusting toe-in, should the top of the sleeve move forward or backward to move the front of the tire inward? I think mine are backwards, but I want to make sure before I flip them.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
Re: Tie Rod Sleeve - Which way to adjust?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008 - 05:46:08 PM »
Can't say off hand, but I'd put my finger and thumb on the threads next to the adjuster and see which way it moves with slight movement. If it moves the adjuster away from your fingers it will lengthen the tie rod or toe-in the front of the tires, and if it moves towards your thumb it will shorten it and toe them out in the front. That's the way I do it.

Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008 - 05:52:23 PM »
Thanks for the advice. What' I've been doing, actually, is putting a small dab of Whiteout on the threads. If the dab starts to disappear, the front of the tire is moving out and the back is moving in.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008 - 06:02:42 PM »
I guess if you don't ID the boxes when you but the tierod ends (inner/outer) you could possibly get the adjusters backwards because one is left hand thread, but I don't think it matters(?)  :clueless:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008 - 08:01:39 PM »
there is no set rule for this , I believe the factory had the lfet thread on the inside tie rod & right on the outers but if they have been changed the the lefts could be the outer or both left ends or both right ends as they are completely reversable
the only way to do this right is to do what you are doing & watch to see if the threads are moving in out out of the sleeve with which way you turn the sleeve

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008 - 01:21:58 AM »
there is no set rule for this , I believe the factory had the lfet thread on the inside tie rod & right on the outers but if they have been changed the the lefts could be the outer or both left ends or both right ends as they are completely reversable

That pretty much answers my question. As long as some techncian isn't going to be expecting it to go one way or another, it doesn't really matter. Thanks.

- Han Solo, Star Wars