Author Topic: Ballast resistor question  (Read 2206 times)

Offline priderocks

Ballast resistor question
« on: December 13, 2008 - 04:08:25 PM »
Are ballast resistors either good or bad? If I have one out of the car, can I just put a continuity meter on it and determine if it's good or bad? Lastly, if the resistor is in the car and the ignition is switched on, I've heard from one terminal to ground should read 12v, the other terminal to ground should read 5.6v. Correct?

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
Re: Ballast resistor question
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008 - 04:16:13 PM »
Something like that for voltage, yes a multimeter on resistance should tell you if it's bad or good.  Not sure what the actual value would be though.

Tom
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline matt63

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008 - 04:41:46 PM »
Something like that for voltage, yes a multimeter on resistance should tell you if it's bad or good.  Not sure what the actual value would be though.

Tom
If I recall correctly the ballast resistor should have a resistance of 0.7 to 1 ohm approx.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008 - 05:10:51 PM »
My Challey started, usually, & ran OK but someone needed some voltage readings so I probed mine wile the car was running. The digital meter was fluctuating so much I could not get a consistent number. Spent $2.50 on a new ballast & the car started much easier & seemed to run smoother..... So to answer your question there is a possibility of having a bad one that does test OK.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008 - 06:01:53 PM »
Voltage drop test will give you a better reading on how things are doing. Resistance sitting there is okay, but it is best to check it while in action.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008 - 07:56:30 PM »
Actually I have seen a ballast fail that still tested good , as it heated up the resistance went way up

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008 - 04:51:44 AM »
When I first bought my car, there was a semi-good ballast resistor in it. The car was a little hard to start, but absolutely wouldn't if it was colder than 40 degrees. The problem was the resistor was measuring 2.2 ohms, thus causing a weak spark. It took me quite a while to figure this one out, as I always thought they had be either good, or bad.   :banghead:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008 - 08:37:29 AM »
Are ballast resistors either good or bad? If I have one out of the car, can I just put a continuity meter on it and determine if it's good or bad? Lastly, if the resistor is in the car and the ignition is switched on, I've heard from one terminal to ground should read 12v, the other terminal to ground should read 5.6v. Correct?

The ballast resistor is part of a feed-back system the keeps the coil running at the correct voltage for a given engine rpm.  At idle the coil has plenty of time to saturate and there is a lot of current running through the resistor and the coil.  When this occurs, the resistor heats up.  This causes the resistors own resistance to increase limiting the current available to the coil.  This keeps the coil/points/ignition module from overheating.  If you measure the voltage on the resistor of a running engine you can see this working, the voltage will go up as rpm increases because the resistor is cooling down.  It will heat back up when the rpm drops.

For starting this whole system is bypassed, full battery voltage is applied to the coil to get the engine started.  This is partially because when you are starting the battery voltage can drop below 10v.

Back in the 70's I tried making my own low cost hot rod ignition improvement on my Charger.  Had a toggle switch on the dash that shorted across the ballast to give the coil full voltage.  I would flip the switch just prior to a race.  Probably did more harm than good, but it seemed like a good idea when I was 17.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline 72 cuda

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009 - 08:13:03 AM »
If I remember correctly a 4 point ballast resistor works likes this: the top 2 generally throw more voltage during the cranking position and the lower 2 carry less during the run position. Chryco probably knows the voltage and resistance.
Wasn't this to give more voltage to crank the car and less to run the car(so as not to burn the points,right?)
Mark

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009 - 09:22:34 PM »
this is incorrect Mark
in start position the brown wire bypasses the resistor giving full 12v to the coil , in run position the power goes to the blue wire & crosses the resistor to drop voltage at the coil to around 8V
 the other side of the 4 pin ballast is fed with the same blue 12v feed & drops voltage to the green red trace wire which feeds the ECU

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t