Author Topic: Re-using U-bolts?  (Read 4494 times)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Re: Re-using U-bolts?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008 - 11:11:57 AM »
Why? Because a new set cost $30.

Same reason that I have a container with all the the bolts from mopars that I've parted out. The old bolts look "correct".   I've seen some replacement u-bolts on people's cars and some of the thread areas are too long.
I never bought a new set. What do they look like?

To be clear, my original set is long gone. This is a set that was installed about two years ago, so originality it not an issue for me.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009 - 06:36:29 AM »
If you need a set or two, let me know. They closed a Pep Boys close to me last year and I have a couple of extra sets.

72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline Roppa440

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009 - 08:03:34 AM »
Some people will spend money for no good reason. I never understand that.

My original U-bolts were tight all the way off and looked their age. I replaced them.

A couple of years later I re-located the springs so the axle had to come off again. In this case the nuts came off OK and the bolts still looked in good condition. So I re-used the bolts that time.

Seeing as yours are only a couple of years old I would re-use them. But inspect them first. make sure the threads on the bolts and nuts are still good.

I think you just have to apply a little common sense sometimes. Asking a "shall I or shall I not" question on message boards like this will always generate an equal number of arguments either way.

$30 to me is a weeks lunch money. When your budget is as tight as mine you apreciate the value of things more.
Dave
1970 Challenger R/T
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009 - 09:02:26 AM »
If you need a set or two, let me know. They closed a Pep Boys close to me last year and I have a couple of extra sets.

These appear to be the ones that aren't flattened in the bend, and will not distribute the load and the axle tube.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009 - 09:13:18 AM »

Mike,  I read somewhere that the original type u-bolts should be used. The "original type" had the flat tops with "teeth" that also bit into the axle tubes to help stop rotation.

Some people will spend money for no good reason. I never understand that.
$30 to me is a weeks lunch money. When your budget is as tight as mine you apreciate the value of things more.

I reuse them, after inspection also, if possible. If used bolts are so dangerous, then you should replace all 8 front spring mount bolts, 2 front spring eye bolts, 4 u-bolts and rear shackles whenever you drop your leaf springs.

I agree, if you can save $30, SAVE IT.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009 - 09:16:18 AM »
Thanks, Changing Gears.  Looks like you beat me to it.  I'm a slow typist.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009 - 09:17:25 AM »
Thanks, Changing Gears.  Looks like you beat me to it.  I'm a slow typist.

Rob

I didn't type as much...

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009 - 09:29:43 AM »
I have reused mine with no problems.  Save the $30, or put it towards whatever the next project is.

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009 - 10:54:54 AM »
Mike,  I read somewhere that the original type u-bolts should be used. The "original type" had the flat tops with "teeth" that also bit into the axle tubes to help stop rotation.

The welded on spring pads are supposed to prevent rotation. If they don't do their job, no amount of flat spots or teeth on the ubolts will stop the axle from rotating.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009 - 11:03:38 AM »
The welded on spring pads are supposed to prevent rotation. If they don't do their job, no amount of flat spots or teeth on the ubolts will stop the axle from rotating.

These u-bolts support the entire weight of the back of the vehicle because the axle is on to of the springs.  If the bolts are not flattened the load is in a much smaller area on the axle tubes.  This is the reason Chrysler flattened them.

Offline heminut

• Resident
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009 - 11:08:37 AM »
His statement wasn't about supporting the weight of the car, it was about stopping rotation of the axle tubes. As far as weight support goes, whether the bolts are flat or round has little bearing on that either. That is determined by tensile strength of the bolts.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009 - 11:11:25 AM »
His statement wasn't about supporting the weight of the car, it was about stopping rotation of the axle tubes. As far as weight support goes, whether the bolts are flat or round has little bearing on that either. That is determined by tensile strength of the bolts.

The idea is not to dent/crease the axle tube.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009 - 11:11:54 AM »

I once saw a lower bracket and part of the lower tube, cracked and leaking all of the way around it.   The welds were still on the bracket and the tube and didn't fail. Must have been a weak tube.

I'm not saying the new style is any better or worse. I'm just saying that Chrysler's R&D department sometime figured out that those u-bolts needed to be flat on top, then figured out that they also needed teeth cut into them, for bite.

Rob
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009 - 11:37:18 AM by shelbydogg »
Rob

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009 - 01:22:35 PM »
Thanks for all the info and opinions, guys. My gut level reaction is that I'll pull them, check them, re-use them if they look good and then check them every now and again to make sure they're doing ok.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline heminut

• Resident
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009 - 07:48:37 PM »
The idea is not to dent/crease the axle tube.

First you said it was to support the weight of the vehicle! It sounds more like you just want to discredit whatever I post. As far as denting the axle tube, I've never seen anything like that happen and I seriously doubt you could tighten a round ubolt tight enough to do that before the bolt snapped!
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda