Sliding leafs..???

Author Topic: Sliding leafs..???  (Read 1923 times)

Offline cowboy

• Denmark
    • CowboyCars.dk
Sliding leafs..???
« on: December 16, 2008 - 06:32:01 PM »
-
Anybody got an opinion..???

SLIDERS
The AFCO leaf spring sliders (SEE PHOTO) can eliminate the up and down movement of the rear spring eye caused by shackles moving through their arcs during suspension travel. Consequently, the rear suspension's loading points displace less during suspension movement. Sliders, depending on their installed angle, generally reduce the shackle effectæ and provide more consistent spring rates than shackles. There is no shackle effect to the rate of the spring when the slider is mounted to point directly at the front spring eye center(this is the preferred mounting position). Since sliders are usually more rigid than shackles, they have less tendency to bind laterally during cornering. In general, sliders improve the handling consistency and predictability of leaf spring equipped race cars.

MoPar's for Cruizin, Racing & Pro-touring: www.CowboyCars.dk

1930 Plymouth Hot Rod wannabe - 1957 DeSoto Fireflite Sportsman - 1967 RaceCuda  -  1968 Barracuda  -  1971 Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline HP2

• Resident
Re: Sliding leafs..???
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008 - 07:13:10 AM »
That's what they do. They also lower the car an inch. Only catch is you need to keep the sliders clean. There are two types; one with a nylon slider block, one with a precision bearing. Hence the need to keep them clean and regularly inspect them, so they are not as maintainance free as shackles.

Offline drewcrane

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008 - 07:20:48 AM »
those look very interesting,does anyone use them? i wonder how well they work?

Offline CHUCKS71

• "IF YOUR NOT FIRST YOUR LAST"
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008 - 05:04:06 PM »
Speedway Motors has them pretty cheap.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/circle-track-racing-leaf-spring-mounts-plates-slider.html?category|category_root|2=Oval+Track&category%7ccat_2%7c154=Suspension&category%7ccat_154%7c711=Leaf+Spring+Accessories
:burnout::22yikes::burnout:    www.ronpaul2008.com
71 Challenger 4spd   www.conservativepunk.com
03 Ram diesel 6spd    http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/chucknutz/1971%20Challenger/

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008 - 07:23:15 AM »
I've used them in competition applications, but never on a street car. Their description is what they are/do. They aren't magic dust that cures all sorts of handling woes, but they are an additional step you can apply. For a street car they may not allow as much travel in both directions as a shackle. It also is very important that you mount them in line with how the leaves slide so you don't create a bind. On an E body that means you would need to mount them with a 1.5 degree angle off center so they are inline with the spring pack and not the frame.

Offline drewcrane

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008 - 06:17:22 PM »
thanks hp2 and chucks71 that answers alot for me, :2thumbs:

Offline autoxcuda

• Spring Fling
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008 - 12:55:08 AM »
I've used them in competition applications, but never on a street car. Their description is what they are/do. They aren't magic dust that cures all sorts of handling woes, but they are an additional step you can apply. For a street car they may not allow as much travel in both directions as a shackle. It also is very important that you mount them in line with how the leaves slide so you don't create a bind. On an E body that means you would need to mount them with a 1.5 degree angle off center so they are inline with the spring pack and not the frame.

Also used them in competition. 1/2 asphalt high bank. Track rubber would jack them up. We dumped them.

We run nylon bushings, custom fit for each precision barrel ground inner sleeve and lubed. Inspected cleaned and relubbed 2-3 races. The amount the sleeve sticks out past the sleeve is critical. And how you tighten them up can screw things up. Any hangs up in the suspension will give you false scale readings. Things really need to be free with these soft spring, big bar, super tie down shocks that everyone is running.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2008 - 01:21:44 AM by autoxcuda »
Spring Fling XXX
April 22 & 23 2016

at Woodley Park Van Nuys, CA.
Special 30th Anniversary Event!
600+ Mopars, 300+ swappers,  50+ manf. midways.
Thrus: Mopar Track Day at Willow Springs Raceway
Fri: Caravan & Cruise
Sat: Mopar Cruise-In

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008 - 01:22:42 AM »
I was wondering if they would even fit behind the rear valence as the spring cycles. That would suck to take out your valance because you hit a big bump in the road.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008 - 01:08:38 AM »
I use sliders at the diff when using Ladderbars & leafs togehter different system though

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t