is anyone buying/selling cars...

Author Topic: is anyone buying/selling cars...  (Read 1836 times)

Offline DAYTONA

is anyone buying/selling cars...
« on: December 16, 2008 - 11:54:08 PM »
...first of all, I am not selling anything, just curious

...I see lots of ads, still big prices, some "must sell" ads, but does anybody see anything really selling, or know anyone buying ... if so, what stuff is moving these days

...I see the same cars on EBay over and over with few bids

...I still figure the big collector car dealers will start spilling cars on the market anytime if they haven't already...their cars eat "floor plan" $$$ too and their inventory is depreciating

Offline 69bronzeT5

• SRT Guru
  • Mopar or No Car
    • Forgotten Mopars
Re: is anyone buying/selling cars...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008 - 12:05:30 AM »
I'm not really sure. I'll find out soon though. A guy I know is selling off a bunch of his parts and cars. If I help him sell the cars, I get a free '70 Coronet out of the deal. :)
Associate Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger
1970 Coronet
1971 Charger R/T
1971 Road Runner
1989 VW Cabriolet
2004 SRT-4
2006 Grand Cherokee SRT8
2008 Challenger SRT8
2016 Wrangler Unlimited
2017 Ram 1500 Rebel

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008 - 01:01:15 AM »
Some people are buying, but they are looking for deals. I just sold a 57 Belair Sport Coupe. Numbers matching. Very nice shape. Not a show car, but a very nice, solid, driver. Was owned by one family all of its life until I bought it (one of my best friends that passed away). Always garage kept. Never restored. All original metal, glass, trim. I've seen similar cars priced at $25k-$35k, but none of them appear to be selling. I needed the money, so I dropped mine from to $17k, and a guy from the midwest just drove 16 hours to come out and buy it. I dont think you would find one anywhere else, in as nice a shape for anywhere close to that price. I hated to let it go, but like I said, I need the money, so ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

I also have my 73 Cuda 340 4-speed project up for sale. I've got over $18k in it so far. I advertised it for that, and got very little response. So I lowered it to $15k, and am now getting some interest in it. As a matter of fact, someone is flying in tommorrow to look at it. Again, I dont want to get rid of it, but I have to face the facts. Although the metal work and paint have all been done, its all apart, and I dont have the skill, knowlege, or resources to put it back together, and its not doing anyone any good just sitting there. Right now, I have to worry about bills, taxes, and tuition.

I also think it depends on location. When I look at local trade magazines, there are some good deals. But if you look at magazines like "Deals on Wheels", people are still asking ludicrous prices that I dont think they will ever get. Dealers seem to be all over the place. Some dealers are dumping cars at very reasonable prices, while others are still asking prices from two or three years ago. Probably also depends on location.

Doesnt matter, though. I've come to the understanding that anything I have is not worth anything, and anything that someone else has is worth a fortune. Even if they are identical. lol.

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008 - 01:08:25 AM »
I am not sure how they are selling, but I have seen some good deals on Craigslist
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline wiiildcat

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008 - 04:09:32 AM »
It's bad, Ive had some of the same cars for close to a year, I dont do this for a living so I am not going to drop price's below what I have in them so I have a pretty nice looking garage at the moment lol. 2 runners 1 real 1 clone, 69 Z, 69 big block 4/sp camaro, 69 Camaro convert, 68 camaro, 69 coronet convert[in the paint shop] 67 rs camaro. Yeah I know alot of GM but had a couple ferds also but they actully sold  :woohoo:

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008 - 09:07:08 AM »
I know a guy who was selling a Viper not too long ago - he manage to sell it...   :misbehaving:

I've also seen a lot of cars going up for sale that are asking market price...  in last year's market.  They aren't selling so well.

It's really tough because the sellers want the money, and the buyers need a deal.  When the sellers finally realize that they NEED the money, they lower the price right into "deal" range.  So some people are losing their BUTTS on fine automobiles that maybe shouldn't be sold at such a low price.

On the Viper forum, it's really upsetting people because they're watching the value of their cars depreciate like crazy because other people HAVE to get rid of them.

Me, I bought my dream car at one hell of a deal.  I'm done buying for now (wife will not accept any more vehicles :))

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008 - 11:07:01 AM »
I haven't seen a whole lot of great "deals" on cars. I alway look, still love to find an nice AAR, either project or done, real or clone. Just a nice 4spd car. But they are a hard car to find in the right color and price.

I sold my house a month ago so freed up some money, but nothing really has caught my eye, plus our dollar is down 0.25/dollar, so thats means that even if the price of a car dropped 20% since I bought my last car in April, I would still be paying more for it then 6 months ago.    :stomp:

If anyone has a purple, white interior, 4spd AAR clone, project, or real AAR, post it up...lol, hard one to find. 

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008 - 03:13:06 PM »
I sold my Aspen drag car in a few days of listing it. Wasn't a screaming good deal, but was decent. $2k for the roller, which, IMO was fair for it age and equipment.

I've had a number of looky-loos with my $2200 72 Satellite wagon and my $3000 67 Satellite. Had a couple of insultingly low offers, but thats it.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008 - 03:38:24 PM »
I've sold three cars this year, 70 cuda clone, 72 Dart Swinger, 05 SRT-4 Commemorative Edition.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008 - 04:38:09 PM »
I am trying to work out the details on selling one and buying two(wish me luck)

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008 - 04:42:59 PM »
I am trying to work out the details on selling one and buying two(wish me luck)

Good Luck! (For real, no sarcasm intended)

I've been trying to sell my 71 Charger for a while now. It's on a few websites and I tried FeeBay a couple times, but no offers. It's no show poodle, but very presentable for a cruise-in or small car show. I'll try again after the holidays.

Times are tough and the 3rd gen Chargers are a small market to begin with.

I bought a 73 Challenger....too good a deal, couldn't pass it up. Solid project with a TON of bonus parts thrown in.
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008 - 04:46:39 PM »
I'm in the market for a SRT-10 pickup. Seems to me the dealers that have them dont want to come off their numbers much....I'm going to keep watching the market until i find the right truck at the right price.

Offline Finoke

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008 - 05:25:13 PM »
I'm in the market for a SRT-10 pickup. Seems to me the dealers that have them dont want to come off their numbers much....I'm going to keep watching the market until i find the right truck at the right price.

Hey Larry, keep watching. I think we haven't hit the bottom yet.

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008 - 05:34:58 PM »

You should call dealers in the reallydown areas - challenger6pak was telling me they cannot give away used SRT-10 trucks down in South Florida.  If you'd like, I have a longtime family friend (known him for 28 years now) that works at a large dealer down there and I can check for you...
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008 - 05:45:32 PM »
You should call dealers in the reallydown areas - challenger6pak was telling me they cannot give away used SRT-10 trucks down in South Florida.  If you'd like, I have a longtime family friend (known him for 28 years now) that works at a large dealer down there and I can check for you...

I'd appreciate it....looking for an 04-05 SRT 10, gotta be red, standard cab.