Author Topic: How much on average does a big/small block weigh?  (Read 2557 times)

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: How much on average does a big/small block weigh?
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2008 - 08:45:20 PM »
I've had both 440 cars and small block cars with power and manual steering, and between the 440 and the small block for steering they are about the same, but the small block handles a lot better.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008 - 10:23:17 PM »
As of right now the budget is small. I work in the oil field on salary plus bonus. When we have busy weeks I get a good chunk of extra cash, and that is when I plan on buying my parts. I don't mind spending the money, and I won't be buying anything for a little bit as I still have to get the block checked. I'm just kind of worried about it since it has a good bit of rust in the bores.
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2008 - 11:37:25 PM »
I had to beat the pistons out of my old 318 with a hammer it was so rusted up. It cleaned up good at .030". The engine in my car was also rusted. It was a shame because it could have probably been left standard. It's always worse than it looks.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2008 - 06:34:10 PM »
That's good to know. Hopefully I'll be able to get it in at the beginning of the year.
Kevin

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2008 - 07:37:37 PM »
I've had both 440 cars and small block cars with power and manual steering, and between the 440 and the small block for steering they are about the same, but the small block handles a lot better.

I have found out that my 440 handles better in my barracuda with the dana installed in the rear. I just finished putting the dana and the sway bars back on along with  bb springs and 318 torsion bars.  It rides good now, but I don't run around curves fast, just normal.  I dont have power steering but I'd assume that a small block with 8 3/4 rear and power would be a bit better.

nivvy

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2008 - 07:40:24 PM »
400 weigh the same???

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2008 - 07:42:27 PM »
400 weigh the same???

I just called you when you posted that :2thumbs:   -----   not sure but I was told around 50 lbs lighter than the rb block

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2008 - 12:01:57 AM »
I'm not too concerned with cornering, I want this thing to stay straight when I run down the track. I just don't want that manual steering to be too hard to use when driving around town.
Kevin

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2008 - 08:18:00 AM »
I'm not too concerned with cornering, I want this thing to stay straight when I run down the track. I just don't want that manual steering to be too hard to use when driving around town.

Manual steering is not to bad if you have a large enough steering wheel.  I think this is where the original tuff wheel got its name.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2008 - 09:04:57 AM »
I have the big factory wood wheel installed on my car with manual steering and the 440.  As long as the wheels are rolling just the slightest, it steers really easy.