Author Topic: I dont understand!!!  (Read 6287 times)

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
I dont understand!!!
« on: December 19, 2008 - 11:09:44 PM »
I have a good friend that has me work on his 1966 Mustang fastback GT350 clone and on several occasions I have driven the car home. What I dont understand is that it seem that many more people go nuts over this thing than when I'm cruising in the Cuda! Dont get me wrong the Cuda gets plenty of attention but this thing seems to be an absolute magnet. I have always thought of a Mustang as a very run of the mill car that you see at every car show and in every magazine whereas seeing an E body is a complete rarity. What gives? I'm almost jealous!!!
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
Re: I dont understand!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008 - 11:18:51 PM »
Well a couple of things.  1st I would not be jealous your Cuda is very nice.  2nd the mustangs were more popular even back in the day.  I agree that mustang is run of the mill.  just my  :2cents:
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008 - 11:32:12 PM »
my  :2cents:

a lot of people have poor judgement or knowledge of what is really cool.
For example: Rap music.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline LAA66

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008 - 11:47:25 PM »
 I would guess most people recognize the Mustangs since there are so many of them out there. A Cuda is rare and not readily identified by the masses. :2cents:

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008 - 11:52:13 PM »
Think of it this way how often do you hear people mistake a mustang for something else, versus how often your cuda gets mistaken for something else like camaro, charger, etc.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008 - 11:56:21 PM »
I would guess most people recognize the Mustangs since there are so many of them out there. A Cuda is rare and not readily identified by the masses. :2cents:

:iagree:.  E-bodies, while very cool in their own right, are not so rare or eye-popping as an exotic.  To many people, they're just an old car they've never heard of.  Mustangs have never gone out of production, so the name has always been out there.  That GT-350 look may have something to do with it too.
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008 - 12:16:45 AM »
An early fastback mustang is a good looking car, and like others have mentioned, more recognizable. I'd still take an ebody any day, had an early mustang myself before.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008 - 12:19:55 AM »
Figure how many Mustangs there are to Barracudas. MANY MANY more people have Mustang experiences in their lives than Mopar. They relate more. Nothing wrong with it, I personally enjoy my Barracuda. Thumbs up and horn honking is just an added bonus.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Srobinson4

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008 - 12:36:56 AM »
I like your car very much but in my opinion you would get far more attention than that musang if you changed the wheels.  Just my opinion.  MOPAR or No CAR

SRR
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008 - 12:42:25 AM by Srobinson4 »

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008 - 12:39:38 AM »
I like your car very muh but in my opinion you would get far more attention than that musang if you changed the wheels.  Just my opinion.  MOPAR or No CAR

SRR 

:iagree:

Rallyes would make that car pop!   :2cents:

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline 72Chall77Doba

• Bill's Mopars
    • My Car Domain Page
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008 - 12:48:41 AM »
ruststangs have been around for almost 50 years.
E bodies had a 4 yr run that ended 35 yrs ago.
The general public can't distinguish between a chally & a charger.
Just last week I took first place for best mopar in a show that had over 400 cars.
Maybe a dozen mopars of all kinds and maybe 30 rustangs and 30 camaros.
There was a car parade after the show where you drove by the bandstand, got out as they announced your name & your auto, & was presented your trophy.
This event was sponsored by the auto dept of a local high school.
The head of the auto dept announced my name & then my car as a dodge charger-
and this was the head of the dept.
Go figure.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008 - 01:10:59 AM »
Seems to be twofold to me. Like the others I agree part of it is the popularity and instant recognition of the Mustang. The other part imo is the Shelby tribute makes an instantly recognizable car into an instantly recognized icon in the muscle car world. I would take the 'Cuda any day over the Mustang and so would most here I imagine but most of the people out there would choose the Shelby over a 'Cuda.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008 - 01:15:51 AM »
Now if somehow you could get an E body to weigh as little as an early mustang (2800 lbs) that would be awesome!
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008 - 01:27:21 AM »
Figure how many Mustangs there are to Barracudas. MANY MANY more people have Mustang experiences in their lives than Mopar. They relate more. Nothing wrong with it, I personally enjoy my Barracuda. Thumbs up and horn honking is just an added bonus.

:iagree:

BINGO, hit it right on the head.

Dont worry about what others think, I've been into Mopars since before most people even cared about em. Cudas/Challengers have always been and will ALWAYS be way more cooler than ANY rustang to true car people. Anybody can restore a rustang. Forget about the general public..they drive toyotas

And just to give this some perspective...I've owned 6 stangs. take a look at the below pics...which one would you rather have...that stang is the fastest production mustang ever produced

:cheers:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008 - 01:34:37 AM by hemi71 »

Offline Mentally Challenged

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008 - 01:54:33 AM »
The wheels on it look great :picture:. Of course though, I hate a stock look.  My opinion not wanting to offend anyody.
Chris, Ohio