Author Topic: Scars of high dollar gasoline  (Read 848 times)

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
Scars of high dollar gasoline
« on: December 20, 2008 - 04:41:24 PM »
I have noticed now that gas is back down to a sane price that the difference between grades has magically doubled. Here it is 1.68 for regular, 1.80 for mid grade and 1.90 for premium. Now I know before there was a 10 cent difference between all 3 grades but now it has more than doubled. Another scar is somewhere along the line the poor diesel fuel guys are getting bunged for over a buck a gallon more than gasoline. Even with everything back to normal on the fuel price front they are still finding ways to pick a few extra cents a gallon.

Remember when it was a huge sin for gas pumps to jump from 0 to 7 or 10 cents before the gas started pumping? Gas stations were basically shut down for defrauding each customer out of a few cents which added up to a substantial sum. What is the difference between that and what they are doing now?
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline LAA66

Re: Scars of high dollar gasoline
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008 - 07:44:52 PM »
 It's capitalism and therefore, good for the economy. GWB  :crazy:

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008 - 07:52:01 PM »
I have noticed the same thing here in NY, and for quite some time now  :eek4:

I use premium in my truck and Crossfire  :banghead:

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008 - 09:57:05 PM »

New York sucks.  I'm in Albany for work for a couple months, and gas here is almost $0.50 a gallon more than home in Texas.

Tower Rat 95B

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008 - 10:32:33 PM »

Diesel has gone up a lot because there are now three differant grades so now they need seperate tanks at the terminal and a truck that either delivers the whole load or is dedicated to one particalar grade of fuel..

off road diesel
 on road diesel
 home heat

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008 - 10:57:43 PM »
Don't forget State tax on fuels.
If you buy 15 gallons of fuel you pay this much in state tax.....

In NY > $6.18
In Texas > $3
In Cali > $6.83
In NJ > $2.18

I would bet the farm that Cali's is going way up soon because of budget deficits. All thier other taxes are already amoung the highest in the USA and gas is cheap now, so....  :grinyes: 
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline duodec

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008 - 01:47:41 AM »
The Ill Annoy legislature is making noises about passing yet more gas taxes ASAP while prices are lower, to minimize people noticing.  And I forget how many different blends we have to deal with around chi-pit because of the EPA micromanaging things, but it certainly adds to the per gallon cost.

Mid grade and premium are $0.18 and $0.35 more than regular here, at the two nearest stations.  If the gas station, or the distributor was making a fraction of what the state, county, and local governments were siphoning off the top I'd be annoyed that it hadn't gone back to the $0.10 difference.  Capitalism?  No, mostly political greed.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008 - 02:00:19 AM »
Alot of state taxes can be traced to employee Union benefits. States  would be better off privatizing stuff like MV services like they did in NJ.
It's much better here since.  :grinyes:

Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008 - 09:19:45 PM »

Just wanted to bring up a point that people should only put in what the manufacturer recommends for fuel grade. It is a waste putting premuim in a fuel injected vehicle that was designed to run on regular.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat