Author Topic: Gigant car cemetary in Rhode Island  (Read 4639 times)

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
Gigant car cemetary in Rhode Island
« on: December 21, 2008 - 09:25:35 AM »
Did you guys see this? http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314664

20000 musclecars, mostly mustangs, but i found this one..

The guy is ordered by the state to get rid of the cars (chrush them), it will take years and the guy is 70 years old...
Member of The Rapid Transit System

Offline jeryst

• Resident
Re: Gigant car cemetary in Rhode Island
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008 - 09:57:31 AM »
You know, when I see something like this, I keep thinking that all of the car enthusiast in the country/world should team up and start some type of group that has some political clout. I mean gun owners have the NRA, landmarks are protected by historical societies, and other groups have representation in Washington, yet car enthusiasts are at the mercy of the state and federal governments with no representation.

A well organized group could block the efforts of the govenment to have these car crushed, and could, instead, protect them until they could be catalogued, and then sold, or carted off to museums, etc. God knows how many truely rare and/or historic cars are just sitting there, waiting to be destroyed by an uncaring state government who has no business infringing on this mans personal rights. The cars are not in view, they are not an eyesore, they are on personal property, so why is the state even getting involved? I hope that some attorney, that is also passionate about cars, will step up and donate his time to portect this guy and the cars until something more can be done for them. It would be sad to see so much automotive history be destroyed when there are thousands of people looking for cars and parts.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008 - 10:12:25 AM »
 :iagree:

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008 - 10:15:19 AM »
looks like there are a lot of these huge yards dissapearing the past decade or so.  It`s a shame so many good and rare parts are destroyed. I bet quiet a few familys could make a living out that yard selling and shipping parts...  I wouldn`t know where to start looking in a place like that and would probably run around like a kid in disneyland...

I agree with jeryst and hope some attorney with fuel-filled veins stands up and fight for saving places like this.
*** Bart ***

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008 - 10:33:32 AM »
The government should not be able to order anyone to get rid of their own property thats sitting on their own land. Back in the early 70's the government wanted to make the Guadalupe mountain range in Texas into a national park. The owner of the huge tract of land refused to sell. What does the government do? They force the man to sell and even set the price per acre. They stated that they wanted to preserve the land and return it to its natural state. Well the rancher only had a few ranch houses, corrals, windmills and rock tanks on the land. There were even elk on the place. What does the park service do right out of the gate? They build crap on the land like rv hookup stations, information centers, offices and a small community of houses for the park rangers. They turn off the water so the elk leave. Yeah they did a good deed there. They took pristine land that had a small human fingerprint on it and smeared their corrupt paw prints all over the place.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008 - 10:50:09 AM »
I had seen that also,and have discussed this place with some people who have Tried to deal with the owner(Jr.)And trust me when I say it isn't worth your time or effort to deal with these guys.You aint gonna get a thing outta there,thats why its all there.I can pass on the address so you can google earth the yard if you like?Those pics posted around the web don't do the size of that place justice,its huge.Oh and by the way,if you think when the old man passes it will be any easier?His son is even worse.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008 - 10:53:54 AM »
Just looking at the Gran Coupe sitting there rotting makes me wonder if any of the cars are actually worth a whole lot. It looks to have extensive rot as most probably do being out in the weather, having piles of moisture holding pine needles on/in them.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008 - 11:08:46 AM »
Yeah, there probably are some parts in there, but is it worth it?  Most of those cars are probably toast.   :2cents:

Offline matt63

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008 - 11:17:26 AM »
I think for people like this it gives them comfort to know that they are sitting on something of value.  Unfortunately by the time they sell (or die) the cars are almost worthless.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008 - 12:36:40 PM »
I hate to see all of the cars that have gone to waist there even some of them worth being brought back to life in my opinion.   Gordon
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008 - 12:59:23 PM »
You know, when I see something like this, I keep thinking that all of the car enthusiast in the country/world should team up and start some type of group that has some political clout. I mean gun owners have the NRA, landmarks are protected by historical societies, and other groups have representation in Washington, yet car enthusiasts are at the mercy of the state and federal governments with no representation.

A well organized group could block the efforts of the govenment to have these car crushed, and could, instead, protect them until they could be catalogued, and then sold, or carted off to museums, etc. God knows how many truely rare and/or historic cars are just sitting there, waiting to be destroyed by an uncaring state government who has no business infringing on this mans personal rights. The cars are not in view, they are not an eyesore, they are on personal property, so why is the state even getting involved? I hope that some attorney, that is also passionate about cars, will step up and donate his time to portect this guy and the cars until something more can be done for them. It would be sad to see so much automotive history be destroyed when there are thousands of people looking for cars and parts.

Car enthusiasts have SEMA. They do a lot of legislative work to help the car enthusiasts. They fight things like smogging our classics. 
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008 - 01:30:50 PM »
I read through the posts on the other forum. They say that the crushing is a rumor.
  Unfortunately , it seems the guy is kind of an ass so probably hard to go and find a project. 
 Looks like they are all just rotting away! 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008 - 01:45:39 PM »
First off this is some idiot who has collected these cars for the pure purpose of rotting to nothing. It is not some guy who has collected these to perserve so we could find hard to find parts later. IF I was his neighbour I couldn't stand to see those cars rot everyday. I refuse to get behind a cause for this guy, if in fact he was a parts dealer with a license then tht is different, but it appearrs he is some hick who enjoys rotting cars :horse:

tinfish360

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008 - 02:10:22 PM »
Same thing going on here, except in Switzerland   http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3932527

After surviving for 75 years, the authorities have declared that the collection is an environmental hazard and intend to clear it by court order later this year. But the plan has provoked uproar among concerned Kaufdorf locals and more than just a few other Swiss residents. A campaign to preserve the site was started last month when an open day was held. The organisers expected about 50 people to attend, but 10,000 turned up. Franz Messerli, whose father founded the car cemetery, said: "We never expected such interest. Our aim is to preserve it for posterity as a national work of art."

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008 - 02:12:05 PM »
Most are probably parts cars but I hate to see any parts siting there going to waste or worse crushed.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi