Author Topic: Gigant car cemetary in Rhode Island  (Read 4638 times)

Offline camjam

• Rare-it-T
Re: Gigant car cemetary in Rhode Island
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008 - 02:14:21 PM »
IN Canada we have the NAAACCC to help lobby for the car enthusiasts. They also work with SEMA in the US.
71 Challenger R/T 383 4spd - 1 of 10 known to have been built for canada - restored
70 Charger R/T SE 440 auto - restored

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008 - 02:15:31 PM »
Would be nice to get some of these parts on the market. Maybe take the edge off the demand so some of these parts vultures won't be getting prices like 5 Grand for a grille.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008 - 02:15:42 PM »
Same thing going on here, except in Switzerland   http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3932527

After surviving for 75 years, the authorities have declared that the collection is an environmental hazard and intend to clear it by court order later this year. But the plan has provoked uproar among concerned Kaufdorf locals and more than just a few other Swiss residents. A campaign to preserve the site was started last month when an open day was held. The organisers expected about 50 people to attend, but 10,000 turned up. Franz Messerli, whose father founded the car cemetery, said: "We never expected such interest. Our aim is to preserve it for posterity as a national work of art."

A national work of art?  :clueless:  Thay are just rotting cars that again the owner seems to care little that they are just rotting away to nothing instead of being restored or used for parts.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008 - 05:12:12 PM »
I would just like to know how many really rare cars are there. I mean, with that many vehicles, the odds are that there are at least a couple of very rare models there.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008 - 05:15:01 PM »
If the place is as vast as described I bet a lot of small, valuable parts and probably some of the bigger ones are missing from the cars. Teenage kids with mischief on their mind would find that place to be a gold mine.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline plumcrazy704406

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008 - 06:28:05 PM »
curious?
why does this look like an unlicensed scrapyard? FAR TOOOOOOO many trees. I hope whoever, and I am assuming, that bought the land did their homework.
as far as the cars? parts at best(didn't look at all the pics).
looking at this, and looking at a property up here that has a property across the road that has a crapload of, what looks like scrap vehicles on it, really makes me wonder what the motive is?  maybe they are collectors! and we just don't know it!

:dunno:
 :angelwings:

This thought may not be politically correct, but is an opinion offered. It may be correct? or it may be wrong? It is not designed to appease those needing shelter from the real world.

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008 - 06:36:05 PM »
My buddy Mark brought this yard to my attention from another car forum and apparently the old guy is still at it. Some old Mustangs were driven in recently and just sitting with the rest of em. Bring em in to die is what he's doing. They say he is absolutely impossible to deal with.
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline plumcrazy704406

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2008 - 06:39:35 PM »
That is a huge problem in any world when the brain disfunctions! they do say it's the first to go!
To bad for the rest of the world!

« Last Edit: December 21, 2008 - 06:42:11 PM by plumcrazy704406 »
This thought may not be politically correct, but is an opinion offered. It may be correct? or it may be wrong? It is not designed to appease those needing shelter from the real world.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2008 - 06:42:53 PM »
They say he is absolutely impossible to deal with.

Doesn't it seem like there is a pattern on wrecking yard owners being a little on the eccentric side?

(BIGS, this excludes you of course)
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2008 - 06:44:27 PM »
I just realized another travesty here. Being an avid metal detectorist, I'm just thinking how many old coins are probably in the interiors of these cars, especially the oldest cars there. Could be some really rare coins that will be scrapped with the cars. What a shame.
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Yes i am a Girl and No you cant drive my CUDA
    • Garageartmusclecars
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2008 - 11:17:10 AM »
Damn shame all them cars left to rot
Yes i am a girl and no you cant drive my MOPAR :)

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2008 - 11:22:50 AM »
I still think that there would be a lot of good project cars there and would be nice if some could be brought back to life again.  Just a shame to let them rot in rust.  Gordon
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2008 - 02:16:00 PM »
Go to maps.google.com, type in Brant Trail Rhode Island, and then scroll west...

it's absolutely unbelievable...

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2008 - 03:22:42 PM »
Go to maps.google.com, type in Brant Trail Rhode Island, and then scroll west...

it's absolutely unbelievable...

Jeff

Damn!...
Member of The Rapid Transit System

Offline Mr. 6pak2go

• Resident
  • Restore it dont crush it!
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2008 - 03:44:10 PM »
man that is unreal! that guy litteraly spent his whole life collecting them and the state is making him get ride of it!!!>>?? how can they do that can they tell you what you can and cant have on your land? Im assuming it is his land but if he owns it i dont know how they could serously what are they gonna do put him in jail?? and for what if it where me and i was 70 id tell em to kiss my A$$! lol i do hate to see that many cars gone to waste thought its a shame in so many different ways!  but id love to have about a week to explore that place I take a ford and mopar numbers book can you imagine what rare cars and parts you my find! thats unreal im in shock!! V :money:   :money:  :money: :money: that guys a billion heir you know!!!
My family, My cars, My guns three things il fight for!!