Author Topic: Repair and repaint Plastic Interior parts  (Read 1811 times)

Offline e-tek

• My website: http://edanneberg.googlepages.com/home
    • E-Tek Resto's
Repair and repaint Plastic Interior parts
« on: December 23, 2008 - 08:58:31 PM »
Anyone gone through the process of repairing, retexturing and repainting the plastic door and quarter panels from a Challenger? I just started and can't believe how much of the original "texture" i've had to sand off! The panels had some scratches and the texture was just falling off. I've sanded out the front panels, but still have to do the rears and window trim yet. Wish I would have known this before I spent 4 hours washing everything in the bathtub with SEM Soap! The pictures show all the texture sanded off as dust. Guess I'll have to texture, then paint them all together. How did your turn out.

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
Re: Repair and repaint Plastic Interior parts
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008 - 11:29:24 AM »
Before I wash and sand them, I usually take them to the power washer.  That tends to take off all of the texture that is flakey.  I havn't ever figured out how to get the texture back on the parts again.  Seems that once they are scratched and flakey, I can't get them to look original again.  If all the texture comes off, I just paint them with flexible primer and vinyl paint and they come out looking ok.  Not original texture ok, but just a decent looking panel until I can get a perfect one. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline LAA66

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008 - 11:55:38 AM »
 I used Bulldog plastic adhesive, then crinkle paint on my seat backs. Finally topped with the finish color and they came out OK. Any member here could spot the difference though.

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008 - 06:17:08 PM »
Never heard of bulldog.  I will have to look into that.  Can you get it from a parts store or order only? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008 - 07:35:09 PM »
White is the worst , the dye in the vinyl distoys the integrity of the vinyl & they just disintegrate , I have no clue how you would regrain them

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline LAA66

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008 - 11:57:18 PM »
 Bought it at an automotive paint store. Made by Klean Strip I believe. It's an all purpose adhesive base for plastics, chrome, vinyl and other smooth surfaces.

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008 - 02:25:48 AM »
I am not sure how to get the grain back in them either.  will watch to see if anyone else knows how to do it.  you might be able to find some material that would be close to it dont know for sure or the leather type materials might be close also. 
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline OzCuda

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008 - 07:24:15 AM »
My white door panels were covered in vinyl (glued on with beading in the grooves to replicate plastic mould lines.  This was done to cover the perished plastic.  It certainly didn't look original but it did appear 'finished' - at least you get some grain appearnce from the vinyl but not a great solution.  I just bought new panels (Palco - drivers door wasn't the best fit though - doesn't follow the line of the top of the door too well).
'70 Barracuda

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008 - 11:33:46 AM »
Those look pretty rough.  I'd try www.justdashes.com.

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline somedaysoon

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008 - 06:51:48 PM »
I've got 2 sets 1 black and 1 green both faded and scratched. Couldn't figure out how to fix them that's why I did repops. You can see the difference but it still looks better than messed up originals. Pete

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009 - 11:50:34 PM »
See if you can get your nippers on some second hand ones any color and repaint white with the SEM products. the other colors are usually good with the grain pattern. Mind you, having said that, I have seen some pretty crappy red ones in the past. But this is worth the try as the 2nd hand ones fit and are much cheaper to buy.
Barry (Salmon Arm)