Salt is a preservative, isn't it??

Author Topic: Salt is a preservative, isn't it??  (Read 7287 times)

Offline LAA66

Re: Salt is a preservative, isn't it??
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008 - 10:47:31 AM »
 That's terrible.  :22yikes:  Now I see why you guys store em away in winter.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008 - 10:51:31 AM »
In the words of an ex-president "I Feel your Pain".  :roflsmiley: But Seriously Folks, with a 1/4 of Michigan on top of a salt mine we get plenty of salt.  To make matters worse I live on a gravel road which the put/pour calcium cloride on to hold down the dust in the summer.  So the corrorsion process is year round, isn't that nice!

Snow Doggie

Heres a pic of the salt farm right near me a few miles away in Newark, CA.
No shortage of this stuff here.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/202/501427729_ed2598a0b5.jpg
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2008 - 12:21:45 PM »
MMMmm salted pork

At least on the newer cars they have a better level of corrosion protection than the old stuff like our e-bodies
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2008 - 12:50:09 PM »
I know what you are talking about for sure with salt. I dont think I will drive my car if I can get it on the new challenger or my Barracuda after I get it restored either in the winter.  Gordon
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2008 - 01:41:37 PM »
 :scared: Oh my Lord. Get that poor thing to the car wash ASAP!!
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2008 - 02:32:17 PM »
Well, hate to be the bearer of bad news Mike, but that car is a total loss. By springtime it will be half eaten away, nothin you can do about it now. I'll give you $100 for it! :roflsmiley:
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline sadil340

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2008 - 03:57:46 PM »

about 25 years ago I was up in Nova Scotia, Canada and they did this thing called "Misting" alot of the auto shops advertised misting for like 20 dollars,,,,,,, I think it was just spraying the under carriage with a light oil or something.........   Maybe someone up in Canada can tell us what Misting was all about???
I saw a "Dream Car Garage" episode where they took a Buick Grand National, misted it and drove it all winter in Canada. In the spring it still looked pretty clean. I believe the used a product from Krown which I believe is only available in Canada. They sprayed it on the Buick's undercarriage and in the nooks and crannies to protect the car from the salt. Can't say if it works or not as I've never tried it. I sent an email to Krown Products and got an email back from the company President saying it wasn't yet available in the U.S.
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed
3:55 SureGrip
Owned since 1974
Bought from original owner

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2008 - 04:49:27 PM »
Well, hate to be the bearer of bad news Mike, but that car is a total loss. By springtime it will be half eaten away, nothin you can do about it now. I'll give you $100 for it! :roflsmiley:

Well... Let's talk about this in the Spring. You might have a deal.   :lol:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2008 - 05:12:18 PM »
Off topic. :bigsmile:... but...

Did you know you can take a clean frying pan and put 1/4" of salt in the bottom, nothing elese, just salt, then put a ribeye steak in there and cook it?  It will come out tender n juicy and not even taste like salt at all.  I was told this years ago by a friend, and we both did it at my house together just to see...it did work :2thumbs:

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2008 - 05:27:41 PM »
I am not a big fan of I-76...too many tolls and tunnels!

Another huge salt mine is in Retsof, NY, south of Rochester. What an odd cooincidence that these huge salt mines are in the Snow Belt.

They spay brine here on the roads if there is a threat of ice/snow. Seems to rinse off pretty quickly with the next rain.

It will not preserve your sanity.

I don't even put the stuff on my food. Cook a steak in it? Noooooooooo thanks!

Steve
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2008 - 05:29:10 PM »
Off topic. :bigsmile:... but...

Did you know you can take a clean frying pan and put 1/4" of salt in the bottom, nothing elese, just salt, then put a ribeye steak in there and cook it?  It will come out tender n juicy and not even taste like salt at all.  I was told this years ago by a friend, and we both did it at my house together just to see...it did work :2thumbs:

Just regular table salt?  How long does it take?

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2008 - 05:42:54 PM »
Just regular table salt.  It takes about the same time as cooking in a pan in butter.

I worked in a morton salt dome 30 years ago.  2500 ft down under ground.  I was totally amazed.   They had big 18 wheelers down there, d-7 dozers, and equipment you would never dream could fit in a 6x6 square elevator. It was all welded back together once it was under ground.  A salt dome can be many miles wide and deep.  The roads/tunnels under ground were 100x300 foot.   I will never forget it. 

If you ever want to talk about fresh water n not salt :swaying:  ask me about catching aligators by hand and putting them in my motel room bath tub :smilielol:  I have many outdoor adventures that were more than dangerous, but fun at the time :2thumbs:

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2008 - 05:56:32 PM »
Al your crazy   :screwy: didnt your momma tell you about stuff like that   :poopoke:

Whas that salt mine in Hutch KS?
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2008 - 06:01:19 PM »
it is just the same here , it is not uncommon to see that , my trucks rockers are gone & I have already replaced the box  & I live in a very dry climate , if you have salt like that & live in a moist climate you can be in a situation where the car needs to be replaced in 5-6 years even with the oil / anti rust spray treatments
 a friend has 2 Iroc R/Ts he has meticulously maintained 1 was kept in Ontario for a few years , it has lower milage but the corrosion on the alum & the whole car is far worse then the one kept in the west , the reality is there is not a lot you can do to prevent deterioration if you live in a moist climate which is why I would never again live near the great lakes
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008 - 07:40:26 PM by Chryco Psycho »

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2008 - 06:04:35 PM »
Hey I can live with a car that will last 56 years in the salt lol  :poopoke:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*